+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Residency obligation

SSDHANI

May 9, 2016
I along with my family got PR in Jun 2014 and stayed in Canada for 1 month now I had shifted my wife and two kids to Vancouver in Jun 2015.They will definitely complete the PR Residency obligations however my PR stay obligation may not be fulfilled as I m in good job in india and I don't think I wud get same type of job in Canada.I am waiting for some Voluntary Retirement Scheme which may or may not come.

Is there any way by which I can maintain my PR status or any other way as my wife and kids will definitely complete their stay for PR as well as for Citizenship.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
SSDHANI said:
I along with my family got PR in Jun 2014 and stayed in Canada for 1 month now I had shifted my wife and two kids to Vancouver in Jun 2015.They will definitely complete the PR Residency obligations however my PR stay obligation may not be fulfilled as I m in good job in india and I don't think I wud get same type of job in Canada.I am waiting for some Voluntary Retirement Scheme which may or may not come.

Is there any way by which I can maintain my PR status or any other way as my wife and kids will definitely complete their stay for PR as well as for Citizenship.
As you aren't living in Canada or accompanying a Canadian spouse, there is no way for you to satisfy the residency obligations and maintain your PR. Whenever you decide to move to Canada, you can try getting through immigration without being flagged. If you manage to do so, you can live in Canada for 2 years straight and then apply to renew your PR card to maintain status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you lose your PR in the future, your wife would be able to sponsor you.

SSDHANI

May 9, 2016
thanks for the reply.

Pl advise me how my wife would sponsor me ? will I again get PR or tourist visa or else ?? I don't have any idea. I finally want to settle there,

Pl guide and suggest some ways .....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSDHANI said:
thanks for the reply.

Pl advise me how my wife would sponsor me ? will I again get PR or tourist visa or else ?? I don't have any idea. I finally want to settle there,

Pl guide and suggest some ways .....
You say you want to settle but in your first post you say you have a good job and you are not willing to give that up. So which is it?

In order to meet the RO, you need to have 730 days (=24 months=2 years) in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR since you landed so from June 2015 until June 2020. You already spent a month so you have 23 months to go. If you become ready to settle in Canada at such a point that you can still meet the RO, then you don't have a problem.

However, lets say that you leave it so long that you are no longer able to meet the RO for your first 5 years, however, your PR card is still valid and you are at this point ready to settle in Canada. In that case, if you manage to enter Canada without getting reported, even if you don't meet the RO, you can put your PR status back in good standing by staying for two years straight. If you do this, do not try to renew your PR card until you have 2 years straight in Canada.

If you are not ready to settle during the validity of yoru PR card, you can continue to visit your family while your PR card is still valid. If immigration reports you on a visit because you don't meet the RO it is better not to appeal because you don't have appeal grounds anyway. In which case, you would lose your PR status. It is possible that you manage continuing to visit as long as your card is valid. If you do, you can apply for a PR travel document to enter Canada after your card expires in which case it will be denied and you lose your PR.

If you have lost your PR, you can apply for a visit visa in order to visit and your wife can sponsor you for PR. Note that you must have officially lost your PR first before your wife can sponsor you. You can not sponsor someone for PR if they are already PR, even if they don't meet the RO.

SSDHANI

May 9, 2016
Thanks for prompt reply Sir,

Can getting sponsorship from my wife for PR again will be smooth sailing,Is there any possibility of facing some issues like they may object that you had not maintained your earlier PR.
Is their fair chances of getting PR again ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSDHANI said:
Thanks for prompt reply Sir,

Can getting sponsorship from my wife for PR again will be smooth sailing,Is there any possibility of facing some issues like they may object that you had not maintained your earlier PR.
Is their fair chances of getting PR again ?
There is no revenge because you did not maintain your old PR. They are only looking at if you are in a genuine relationship with your wife and that your family will not end up on welfare if she brings you. Even if she doesn't work, that's not so bad as long as you work.