+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - Residency Obligation Short? Recommendations Please!

Exo

Dec 13, 2023
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate your kind comments and recommendations on my current situation.
I have landed on the 22nd September 2018 as PR. My PR Card expired on the 18th November 2023.
From the 18th September 2018 until 18 November 2023, I have been in Canada 708 DAYS.
As today, 13 December 2023, I have been in Canada 733 days. And by 26 December 2023 I will be in Canada 730 in the last 5 years. But still it is not within the 5 years after my landing date.

Could you please recommend me the best approach ? Keeping in mind that in my current job, I have travels to make which I can put on hold for few months waiting for new card....
Shall I apply after 26 December 2023? Shall I hire a Lawyer?

Thank you everyone!
Exo

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate your kind comments and recommendations on my current situation.
I have landed on the 22nd September 2018 as PR. My PR Card expired on the 18th November 2023.
From the 18th September 2018 until 18 November 2023, I have been in Canada 708 DAYS.
As today, 13 December 2023, I have been in Canada 733 days. And by 26 December 2023 I will be in Canada 730 in the last 5 years. But still it is not within the 5 years after my landing date.

Could you please recommend me the best approach ? Keeping in mind that in my current job, I have travels to make which I can put on hold for few months waiting for new card....

Thank you everyone!
Exo
the simplest answer is - apply for renewal ONLY when you are in compliance of RO plus few buffer days

Reactions: Exo

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello everyone,

Thank you everyone!
Exo
Hire a lawyer for what ? You’re either compliant or not . As mentioned you apply when you’re within the generous compliance period, plus a buffer . A lawyer cannot circumvent the law. You don’t want to apply when you’re noncompliant .

Reactions: Exo and Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

Thank you everyone!
Exo
Since you only need to have 730 days within the last 5 years (your landing date is irrelevant), which you do, albeit barely, you can apply anytime from this date forward. Be advised that now ALL PR renewal applications must include 2 pieces of `evidence' showing residency in Canada. You do NOT need to prove that you have [whatever] number of days in Canada. Your Travel History will show this and IRCC has ways to corroborate the information.

Exo

Dec 13, 2023
the simplest answer is - apply for renewal ONLY when you are in compliance of RO plus few buffer days
Thank you!
When you say "being in compliance", could you please elaborate further?
I am a little bit confused on "compliance" part, some people say 730 days within the last 5 years of your renewal application submission and others say, 730 days within the 5 years since your landed in Canada?
What is your take about this ?

Exo

Dec 13, 2023
Hire a lawyer for what ? You’re either compliant or not . As mentioned you apply when you’re within the generous compliance period, plus a buffer . A lawyer cannot circumvent the law. You don’t want to apply when you’re noncompliant .
Thank you! Noted, no lawyer.

Exo

Dec 13, 2023
Since you only need to have 730 days within the last 5 years (your landing date is irrelevant), which you do, albeit barely, you can apply anytime from this date forward. Be advised that now ALL PR renewal applications must include 2 pieces of `evidence' showing residency in Canada. You do NOT need to prove that you have [whatever] number of days in Canada. Your Travel History will show this and IRCC has ways to corroborate the information.
Thank you for your feedback1
Pieces of evidance I have plenty as I have bank account, phone bills etc since I have landed 5 years ago. What usually people they recommend, online or paper based application ?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you!
When you say "being in compliance", could you please elaborate further?
I am a little bit confused on "compliance" part, some people say 730 days within the last 5 years of your renewal application submission and others say, 730 days within the 5 years since your landed in Canada?
What is your take about this ?
You need to show 730 days or more for each rolling 5 year period. After the first 5 years, the landing date is no longer part of the equation.

So it is 5 years back from the day that your application is submitted. Does that help?

Exo

Dec 13, 2023
You need to show 730 days or more for each rolling 5 year period. After the first 5 years, the landing date is no longer part of the equation.

So it is 5 years back from the day that your application is submitted. Does that help?
This helps, I have another question. While completing my online renewal, IMM 5444, in section 1.4 Date you became a PR in Canada, which date I should put ? Keeping in mind:

From the 16 June 2019 until 18 December 2023, I have been in Canada 742 DAYS.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This helps, I have another question. While completing my online renewal, IMM 5444, in section 1.4 Date you became a PR in Canada, which date I should put ? Keeping in mind:

From the 16 June 2019 until 18 December 2023, I have been in Canada 742 DAYS.
22 September 2018, since that is the date that you actually became a PR of Canada, NOT the date that you received your initial PR card.

Exo

Dec 13, 2023
22 September 2018, since that is the date that you actually became a PR of Canada, NOT the date that you received your initial PR card.
Thank you for your reply. In this case, I won't be able to meet the residency obligation ? As I am applying online, the landing date will be part of the "Period to be assessed" therefore I won't be able to comply.
What is your take on this ?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply. In this case, I won't be able to meet the residency obligation ? As I am applying online, the landing date will be part of the "Period to be assessed" therefore I won't be able to comply.
What is your take on this ?
This is very simple. Ignore your landing date, since you will be assesed on the previous 5 years from today (if you were to apply for the renewed PR Card today.

If (counting back 5 years from the day that you submit the PR Card renewal) you have at least 730 days in Canada, you are eligible for a new card, once IRCC validates everything.

So, from 19 Dec 2018 thru 19 Dec 2023 did you accrue 730 days or more in Canada?