+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal and travel document

mapleleaf0

Dec 26, 2013
I received a letter to apply for a travel document to enter Canada because i am in the process of renewing my pr and i was taking care of my now passed away grandfather in Europe. I have my residency days but incase i get rejected for TD, can my girlfriend in Canada a Canadian citizen sponsor me for me to enter Canada again and continue with my life there?

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
mapleleaf0 said:
I received a letter to apply for a travel document to enter Canada because i am in the process of renewing my pr and i was taking care of my now passed away grandfather in Europe. I have my residency days but incase i get rejected for TD, can my girlfriend in Canada a Canadian citizen sponsor me for me to enter Canada again and continue with my life there?
You received the letter from CIC to apply for Travel Document after applying for PR Renewal?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have more options.

1) you could wait for your PR card to get mailed to your gf and have her mail it to you.

2) you could enter Canada without a TD if you are visa exempt. Just show your expired PR card when you enter and say you are in the process of renewing it.

3) if you are not visa exempt but you are visa exempt to the US or have a US visa, you can fly to the US and enter Canada by land

4) if you apply for a TD and it gets refused, you can appeal

Worst case scenario, your TD gets refused, your appeal gets refused and you lose your PR status, your gf can sponsor you for PR again if you have lived together for at least 12 months (common law) or you get married. However, this will take some time.

tasfin

Mar 3, 2015
Hi Leon,

I am a skilled worker applicant from alberta, writing this about a mistake in the marital status field in my COPR document, received on 2015-05-26. It is showing my marital status as Single while I am married. All other personal information is OK.

I got married on March 8, 2015. My wife is a Canadian citizen and currently living with me in Calgary, AB. After I got my marriage certificate, I immediately informed CIC via email on April 09, 2015. I sent my Canadian marriage certificate with the email. Since my wife is a Canadian Citizen, I also provided a copy of her passport and citizenship certificate as a proof with the email.

In the meantime, I received my passport request email on April 10, 2015. Based on the email, I again immediately notified CIC via email to CPC-CTD-Ottawa @ cic.gc.ca on April 11, 2015. I also sent all the relevant documents with the email such as marriage certificate, a copy of my wife's Canadian Passport and Citizenship Card.

However, I never received any email from CIC about this change. I waited till May 9, 2015 (30 days deadline from ready for visa email) and then sent my passport to Ottawa along with a copy of ready for visa email, a letter addressing my marital status change, my marriage certificate and the proof of my wife Canadian citizenship. CIC received the package on May 12, 2015. My immigrant visa and COPR have been issued on May 14, 2015. I got my passport back on May 26, 2105 along with immigrant visa and COPR.

Today, I talked to CIC call center agent Krista, Agent No. #3801 about this issue and she advised me to contact CIC immediately explaining the matter.

Any advise?? should i wait for reply?? or send copr with pasport back with a letter explaining the issue? also can i still land using the existing copr and tell border officer that i am married to correct the info??

really appreciate any expert opinion.

Leon said:
You have more options.

1) you could wait for your PR card to get mailed to your gf and have her mail it to you.

2) you could enter Canada without a TD if you are visa exempt. Just show your expired PR card when you enter and say you are in the process of renewing it.

3) if you are not visa exempt but you are visa exempt to the US or have a US visa, you can fly to the US and enter Canada by land

4) if you apply for a TD and it gets refused, you can appeal

Worst case scenario, your TD gets refused, your appeal gets refused and you lose your PR status, your gf can sponsor you for PR again if you have lived together for at least 12 months (common law) or you get married. However, this will take some time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since your wife is Canadian and doesn't need to be included on your application, I don't think it's a big issue. You have already notified them and when you land, take the same documents with you, marriage certificate etc. Make sure you tell them that you have already notified CIC about your marriage and that your wife is Canadian.

I know of a similar case except the wife was not Canadian. The applicant in that case had notified the visa office about his marriage but landed on his single visa because it was close to expiring and he had not heard back from the visa office yet. In such a case, you can not be accused of misrepresentation later because you did let them know.

tasfin

Mar 3, 2015
Such a relief!! Thanks a lot Leon. I will update this forum about my landing experience. Thanks again!

Leon said:
Since your wife is Canadian and doesn't need to be included on your application, I don't think it's a big issue. You have already notified them and when you land, take the same documents with you, marriage certificate etc. Make sure you tell them that you have already notified CIC about your marriage and that your wife is Canadian.

I know of a similar case except the wife was not Canadian. The applicant in that case had notified the visa office about his marriage but landed on his single visa because it was close to expiring and he had not heard back from the visa office yet. In such a case, you can not be accused of misrepresentation later because you did let them know.