+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Refused, can I appeal in my situation?

hopeng

May 5, 2020
Hi Friends,

I hope you safe and sound in this COVID-19 situation. My PR got refused because some misunderstandings in the application form. Here is the detailed situation:

I have an open work permit. I get this open work permit through my common law partner who works in Canada with work permit, but he does not have a Canadian PR. I want to apply PR by myself.

When I submitted my documents, I selected yes for LMIA as I thought my open work permit is qualified for ‘LMIA except’. But it turned out that I am not eligible for this additional 50 LMIA points, and this misunderstanding brought my total score from 519 points to 469 points. My draw was on Oct 30th with 475 min scores, then I became un-qualified and got refused.

But now the situation is (1) the min scores for EE pool keeps going down, I am qualified using my 469 points for recent draws and (2) my current score goes up to 493 (without LMIA), as I gained additional work experience and it brought my ‘CRS-Skill Transferability – Foreign Work Experience ’ from 26 to 50.

In this case, is it possible to file an appeal for the immigration officer to review the case?

Many Thanks,
Hope

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Friends,

I hope you safe and sound in this COVID-19 situation. My PR got refused because some misunderstandings in the application form. Here is the detailed situation:

I have an open work permit. I get this open work permit through my common law partner who works in Canada with work permit, but he does not have a Canadian PR. I want to apply PR by myself.

When I submitted my documents, I selected yes for LMIA as I thought my open work permit is qualified for ‘LMIA except’. But it turned out that I am not eligible for this additional 50 LMIA points, and this misunderstanding brought my total score from 519 points to 469 points. My draw was on Oct 30th with 475 min scores, then I became un-qualified and got refused.

But now the situation is (1) the min scores for EE pool keeps going down, I am qualified using my 469 points for recent draws and (2) my current score goes up to 493 (without LMIA), as I gained additional work experience and it brought my ‘CRS-Skill Transferability – Foreign Work Experience ’ from 26 to 50.

In this case, is it possible to file an appeal for the immigration officer to review the case?

Many Thanks,
Hope
No - not possible to appeal. You were correctly refused. It doesn't matter that the score is lower now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Friends,

Many Thanks,
Hope
Agree with above. You didn't meet the required score and were correctly refused. Current scores are irrelevant.

Reactions: Wolfpmd3

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi Friends,

Many Thanks,
Hope
You can't appeal, there is nothing to appeal. You didn't meet the minimum cut-off when you were invited. So having your application rejected was the only possible outcome and fair by the rules.

You can enter the pool again and wait to get a new invitation to start the process from scratch. You might be able to re-use your medical exam, English test and/or police certificates.

This is your only option, meaning you'll have to repay the fees, which BTW have increased as of April 30th.

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
Ok, thank you everyone, I will just re-apply!
Hi I have a question if you dont mind answering. You said you applied without your partner who was already in canada, did you do this because of the points? And did you declare your partner as no accompanying and wrote a letter to explain why spouse is not accompanying

hopeng

May 5, 2020
Hi I have a question if you dont mind answering. You said you applied without your partner who was already in canada, did you do this because of the points? And did you declare your partner as no accompanying and wrote a letter to explain why spouse is not accompanying
I applied without partner because my partner is planning to go to US in few years.
I decaled him as no accompanying.
I didn't write a letter for explanation, do we need to write such a letter?

Reactions: Pgill2609

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
I applied without partner because my partner is planning to go to US in few years.
I decaled him as no accompanying.
I didn't write a letter for explanation, do we need to write such a letter?
Is he in canada with you? And what type of permit does he have. So your on a open work permit as a accompanying spouse ? I'm.not sure I have heard so many different things, I'm asking because I'm wanting to apply single too

hopeng

May 5, 2020
Is he in canada with you? And what type of permit does he have. So your on a open work permit as a accompanying spouse ? I'm.not sure I have heard so many different things, I'm asking because I'm wanting to apply single too
He is in Canada with me. We live together. He has LMIA work permit from his employer. I am on open work permit as a accompanying spouse.

Could you share some of the 'different things' you heard? I am honestly not confident of applying as a accompanying spouse on open work permit.

Reactions: Pgill2609

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He is in Canada with me. We live together. He has LMIA work permit from his employer. I am on open work permit as a accompanying spouse.

Could you share some of the 'different things' you heard? I am honestly not confident of applying as a accompanying spouse on open work permit.
There are a number of historical threads that cover this topic on this forum. You'll need to dig around and find them if you want to benefit from this information. Here's one:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pfl-letter-on-spouse-status.655729/

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019

I thought that's how you applied on your own?

I heard that we can apply for ee on our own as long as we write a letter that we are doing this for points but then other says that we can't do this that they have to leave the country at the time we get the Ita. Most people have applied and been successful