+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR question: Landing in Canada VS leaving before receiving the PR Card

Snape09

Star Member
Jul 21, 2022
Hi everyone,

I got my COPR recently. I will land soon in Ontario (CA) around mid-May to sign the permanent resident paperwork. I will be able to stay in Canada for two months. But, I will have to leave before July 1st because I got a one year job in US.

- If I am not able to get my first PR canda (because of processing times), can I apply for permanent resident travel document (PRTD) with no issue to come back to Canada in a year?

- Can I share my plans to leave Canada for a year with the immigration officer when I land?

Thanks a lot!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
- If I am not able to get my first PR canda (because of processing times), can I apply for permanent resident travel document (PRTD) with no issue to come back to Canada in a year?
Yes. But best would be to leave an address at which mail can be received for you.

- Can I share my plans to leave Canada for a year with the immigration officer when I land?
Yes, but why would you? No obligation to. You can continue to look for work in Canada while here.

Reactions: Snape09

Snape09

Star Member
Jul 21, 2022
Yes. But best would be to leave an address at which mail can be received for you.

Yes, but why would you? No obligation to. You can continue to look for work in Canada while here.
Thanks a lot for your replay this is very helpful!!

sanjaythakur

Jul 19, 2022
@Snape09 , similar situation. Landed and completed formalities of a PR on the 17th May and flying out on the 28th June. Still waiting for my PR card. Any update on your card?

Migueltravellover

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
When I was waiting on my PR card, I found this tracker to be helpful because sometimes they take longer or lose it in the mail - recommend checking there for a good understanding on timeline https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/consolidated-pr-card-trackerAlso, I would highly recommend waiting until you have your PR card on hand or have it mailed to someone who you trust and can later DHL it to you because from what I’ve heard the PRTD process is a pain. It’s better to just have it on hand - I gave an address of a friend initially because I knew I could trust them to get it to me