+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR processing time under CEC for Nepali passport holder

kuswara

Nov 3, 2014
Hello Friends,
I am looking for some suggestions based on your experience, which would help me decide on next step.
I am in Toronto since May this year on my official work assignment(on Work Permit Visa) . My work was supposed to be till November this year then return back to India, but my work got extended till December 2015. I am highly interested to apply PR under CEC in May next year after completing 1 year under Canadian experience category. My family - wife and a son- are in India because of my son’s school, he is studying in grade VII there. Therefore I am staying alone here so that his school should not get impacted. But now my work is extended, therefore I wan to bring them to Toronto so that we will stay together; and he could continue his schooling here.
However, after reading some posts on internet, I have learned that it takes around 8 months to 2 years to get PR confirmation.
I fear that if I will not get PR confirmation by December 2015, I will have to go back to India; and this back and forth movement will impact my son’s schooling. I am not able to decide whether I should bring my family and be positive to get PR processed within my availability(?). I know it is personal decision. I believe your experience & knowledge about such conditions will help me to take wise step. Please suggest.

FYI – I am holding Nepali passport as my birth place is Nepal. Also, I am trying to understand the average PR processing time for a Nepali passport holder. If anybody can shed some light on it, would be highly appreciated.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kuswara said:
I am in Toronto since May this year on my official work assignment(on Work Permit Visa) . My work was supposed to be till November this year then return back to India, but my work got extended till December 2015. I am highly interested to apply PR under CEC in May next year after completing 1 year under Canadian experience category. My family - wife and a son- are in India because of my son's school, he is studying in grade VII there. Therefore I am staying alone here so that his school should not get impacted. But now my work is extended, therefore I wan to bring them to Toronto so that we will stay together; and he could continue his schooling here.
However, after reading some posts on internet, I have learned that it takes around 8 months to 2 years to get PR confirmation.
I fear that if I will not get PR confirmation by December 2015, I will have to go back to India; and this back and forth movement will impact my son's schooling. I am not able to decide whether I should bring my family and be positive to get PR processed within my availability(?). I know it is personal decision. I believe your experience & knowledge about such conditions will help me to take wise step. Please suggest.
Processing times are highly variable for many many reasons, and there is certainly no pre-determined processing time, let alone one based on one's passport.

Your wife and son can join you here any time as your dependents, your wife can apply for an open work permit (or visitors permit) and your son can get a student permit, based on your TWP. There is no need to wait until your PR application has been approved.

kuswara

Nov 3, 2014
Hi jes_ON, I missed to mention here that my wife & son have Visitor visa ready with them; but the thing is, I don't want to mix & move back-&-forth my son's schooling; as the way of education is different in India and in Canada. I want to stick to either one, and I prefer to adopt Canadian schooling. But as I might have to return back to India in absence of PR by end of December 2015, this would impact his study.
My work permit is closed work permit. I cannot switch job to continue my stay here.
Please suggest.

Or let me put my feeling in this way - How should I make myself 100% guaranteed that I will get PR within my time frame. I don't want to go through some lawyer and would prefer to work hard to get fully prepared.

thanix

Oct 30, 2014
kuswara said:
> I am highly interested to apply PR under CEC in May next year after completing 1 year under Canadian experience category.
I hope you are aware that both the FSW and the CEC category of applications for Permanent Residency is going to be stopped by Dec 2014 and starting Jan 2015 there is a new system that is going to be applicable. In the new system called Express Entry, atleast there is a timeline that the Permanent Residence application is to be processed within 6 months. But the terms/requirements and qualification criteria may be different from that of CEC.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
thanix said:
I hope you are aware that both the FSW and the CEC category of applications for Permanent Residency is going to be stopped by Dec 2014 and starting Jan 2015 there is a new system that is going to be applicable. In the new system called Express Entry, atleast there is a timeline that the Permanent Residence application is to be processed within 6 months. But the terms/requirements and qualification criteria may be different from that of CEC.
Hi,
this info is incorrect. It's true that in January 2015 starts the new Express Entry system, but subcategories like FSW and CEC remain.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kuswara said:
Hi jes_ON, I missed to mention here that my wife & son have Visitor visa ready with them; but the thing is, I don't want to mix & move back-&-forth my son's schooling; as the way of education is different in India and in Canada. I want to stick to either one, and I prefer to adopt Canadian schooling. But as I might have to return back to India in absence of PR by end of December 2015, this would impact his study.
My work permit is closed work permit. I cannot switch job to continue my stay here.
Please suggest.

Or let me put my feeling in this way - How should I make myself 100% guaranteed that I will get PR within my time frame. I don't want to go through some lawyer and would prefer to work hard to get fully prepared.
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee (not even with a lawyer).

Alternatives to waiting to qualify under CEC would be to apply under the FSW Arranged employment category.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/offers.asp

Or, Opportunities Ontario (a two-step application). Or, wait until May, see what "express entry" brings for the CEC class, and perhaps your application will be processed by your deadline.

BTW - If you have a PR application "in process" (e.g. CEC application passed first stage review), and your TWP is due to expire within 4 months, you can apply for what is known as a "bridging open work permit" (BOWP) that will allow you to remain in Canada until a decision is made on your PR application.

kuswara

Nov 3, 2014
Hi jes_ON !
thank you for these pointers, let me go through these options to understand them.

regd,

kuswara

Nov 3, 2014
I will be applying for PR under "CEC" and I have already passed CELPIP examination. Does my wife also needs to pass English language test while I apply for PR ?
pls suggest .

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
kuswara said:
I will be applying for PR under "CEC" and I have already passed CELPIP examination. Does my wife also needs to pass English language test while I apply for PR ?
pls suggest .
Hi,
only the principal applicant (in your case yourself) has to provide the English language test.