+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR pick-up request - PR renewal. Outside India -PRTD

nirlep22chhibber

Feb 7, 2018
Hi all,

I applied for PR renewal in March, 2024. I had to travel back to India and there weren't any updates from IRCC. I enquired in June, 2024 and IRCC informed my application was successful and they'd inform about next steps. No response again, then I contacted in July, few days back. They have responded that "As your card has been selected for pick-up, rest assured that you will be informed of the date, time, location for pick-up, and of the type of documents you will be asked to bring with you in due time."

It seems like I'll need to apply for PRTD. I was expecting PR card to be delivered to my address in Canada and someone could bring it to me in India.

Has anyone been through same situation - in-person pick up. Is there any way I could request IRCC to deliver to my home address?

If not, how long does PRTD take to process?

Thanks!

nirlep22chhibber

Feb 7, 2018
There were some 12 days less. I applied for renewal anyway since my card had expired, I wrote a LoE. Is this the reason they chose me to pick-up personally?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
They mentioned my PR renewal was approved.
That is an answer to a different question.

There were some 12 days less. I applied for renewal anyway since my card had expired, I wrote a LoE. Is this the reason they chose me to pick-up personally?
Most likely yes, this is why. They decided to hold it for pickup for which there would be no issue if you were in Canada.

So: if you were 12 days out of compliance when you applied and then left, you are now ~140 or so days out of compliance.

I see two ways to proceed:
-if you have a visa which allows you to travel to USA, fly there and cross by a land border. You will be let in, some chance you will be reported for non-compliance. If you return fairly soon, chances are lower of issues, and if you're just let in, you can go to office and pick up your PR card.

-If you cannot, you'll have to apply for PRTD with H&C explanations for why you are out of compliance. This could go either way - chances are higher of refusal which (subject to appeal) means losing your PR status. Just as large a problem is that PRTD apps of this type can take much longer, i.e. months.

nirlep22chhibber

Feb 7, 2018
I see. But then, out of curiosity, why couldn't they right away decline my application. Why was it approved, as mentioned in their email.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I see. But then, out of curiosity, why couldn't they right away decline my application. Why was it approved, as mentioned in their email.
The issuance of the card was approved. You just aren't in Canada to pick it up. They issued it on the understanding (or soft condition) that you were in Canada (as, if you had remained in Canada, you'd've been in compliance).

I think your misunderstanding is that you don't renew your PR status. Their issuance of the card is not renewal of your status (which itself doesn't 'expire').

Reactions: Buletruck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand that PR card issuance is not renewal of status. Thanks for your help.
Your best option is to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border.

Reactions: nirlep22chhibber

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010