+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Obligation

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no specific income requirement to sponsor a baby. However, if you have absolutely no income, immigration may be worried that you will end up on welfare with your family and they can refuse the application on those grounds.

sujamana

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Leon sir

Please share your thoughts

At the time of apply for renewal of PR card, please consider the below scenario, I most likely fit in

suppose, i didn't get a job in Canada and I will continue to commute next 2 years and if I meet the 730 days mark - what are the proof for residency really proof my case ? (read in the forum, we can send all the documents on travel, purchases on credit / debit cards). Will these be sufficient enough? or how do i justify, that I am not able to get a job for my skill sets in Canada? This I will have to answer in the employment details of the renewal process.

I am concerned, should I need to consult a lawyer, to get specific advise on my case? Please share your thoughts and any legal contacts if you know.

Thanks again

- sujamana

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should collect receipts for your purchases in Canada, credit card statements and things like that. If you commute to Toronto by your car, take regular photos of the odometer and write down the dates so you can later state that you are making these trips. If you travel by bus, train, plane etc., you should keep your tickets. If your family is living in Canada, immigration could choose not to believe your receipts and credit card use. They can say that your wife has been using your card. However, as your family in in Canada and if immigration gives you trouble and you end up losing your PR, your wife can always sponsor you again.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You should collect receipts for your purchases in Canada, credit card statements and things like that. If you commute to Toronto by your car, take regular photos of the odometer and write down the dates so you can later state that you are making these trips.
Wouldn't it be better to order a travel history from CBSA about your entries to Canada from the US than take photos on the odometer and quote the dates? Something official is always better.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Wouldn't it be better to order a travel history from CBSA about your entries to Canada from the US than take photos on the odometer and quote the dates? Something official is always better.
You should get the CBSA history too but they aren't always complete so if you find out when you want to apply to renew your PR that they have not registered all your entries for the past 5 years, it would be too late to take the pictures, unless you find a way to roll the odometer back :)

amskmt

Oct 21, 2012
Hi Leon, sorry that I couldn't reply you earlier..... just not enough time to have daily things done ! Anyways, My doubt is: On April 2014 I will be applying for my citizenship and I believe that it will take aprox. 1 year to become Citizen. So, lets say that I will become citizen on April 2015, my husband won't be able to meet his 2 year obligation since by that time he will only have acccumulated 6 months and his PR card will be expiring on July 2015. Can he still accumulate the time being with me outside Canada ( now that I become citizen ) even though his card is expired already ? Or just resign and sponsor him again in near future ?

Thank you so much Leon.... !

ottawa_girl

Jan 22, 2013
:D :D :D

it will take you WAY MORE THAN ONE YEAR to become citizen, believe me ....... at best 21 months which is the current processing time. Anything suspicious you get the famous RQ which may delay your case by 4 years depends of your local office and personal case. No joking read posts on citizenship!

Don't mean to be rude, just to open your eyes! ;D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amskmt said:
Hi Leon, sorry that I couldn't reply you earlier..... just not enough time to have daily things done ! Anyways, My doubt is: On April 2014 I will be applying for my citizenship and I believe that it will take aprox. 1 year to become Citizen. So, lets say that I will become citizen on April 2015, my husband won't be able to meet his 2 year obligation since by that time he will only have acccumulated 6 months and his PR card will be expiring on July 2015. Can he still accumulate the time being with me outside Canada ( now that I become citizen ) even though his card is expired already ? Or just resign and sponsor him again in near future ?

Thank you so much Leon.... !
It doesn't matter when his PR card has expired as long as his PR has not been officially revoked which will not happen unless he applies for a travel document or applies to renew his PR card while not meeting the residency requirements or tries to enter Canada and gets reported on entry. As long as his PR is not officially revoked, he is still PR. Even if you join him years after his PR card expired, live with him for 2 years and then he applies for a PR travel document, he would get it based on having lived with a citizen spouse for 2/5 years. They will not go further back in time than the past 5 years before he applies.

Shokria

Feb 18, 2013
Hi Leon, it's me again. Now what if I submitted my health critical conditions to the visa office (I have had threatened abortion two times up till now and my dr recommends I shouldn't be flying at all until I give birth) so isn't there a way the visa office can extend the first landing time until I give birth? (my dead line was July 2013, while my due date is sept 2013). And if they did allow us to have ext of time, how will I enter ez the new born baby? Any method to include him on the applications?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shokria said:
Hi Leon, it's me again. Now what if I submitted my health critical conditions to the visa office (I have had threatened abortion two times up till now and my dr recommends I shouldn't be flying at all until I give birth) so isn't there a way the visa office can extend the first landing time until I give birth? (my dead line was July 2013, while my due date is sept 2013). And if they did allow us to have ext of time, how will I enter ez the new born baby? Any method to include him on the applications?
You can appeal to them to extend your PR visa based on your circumstances but they usually don't like it. If they refuse, make sure that at least your husband lands before the PR visa expiry. That way, he can sponsor the rest of you if need be.

If you are not a PR and your child is born outside Canada, you would lose the option of getting a TRP for your baby and all going to Canada together. They will not give a TRP for your whole family in order for you to go together. For a baby when the rest of the family is PR, you would have a chance. This means that your husband will be forced to go to Canada alone in order to sponsor you and wait it out during the processing time.

Shokria

Feb 18, 2013
I got it, so there is no way out. Best sol to give birth there. Moderate solution: father sponsoring the baby later. Thanks dear ;D ;D

fisharif

Jan 14, 2011
Leon, I think many pepole are greatful to you for the clarity of yr replys
you wrote "he could enter Canada and as long as he is allowed to enter without getting reported for not meeting the residency obligation, he can stay in Canada" thsi is about entering befor the PR Expired
My Q is why get reported and when get reported? one month, 3 months return befor the PR Card Expire ?
What is y'r suggestion; return 6 months or one year before PRC Ex ... to evade getting reported by the Port entry immigration Officer

Best Regards

Faisal

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fisharif said:
Leon, I think many pepole are greatful to you for the clarity of yr replys
you wrote "he could enter Canada and as long as he is allowed to enter without getting reported for not meeting the residency obligation, he can stay in Canada" thsi is about entering befor the PR Expired
My Q is why get reported and when get reported? one month, 3 months return befor the PR Card Expire ?
What is y'r suggestion; return 6 months or one year before PRC Ex ... to evade getting reported by the Port entry immigration Officer

Best Regards

Faisal
It is not certain what causes some people to get reported and others manage to walk through without a problem. If you enter with a PR card that is about to expire, that may cause a red flag with some immigration officers. Other people have said when you arrive, you should dress like a Canadian because if you dress ethnic, they will realize that you were gone for a long time. Some people say you should lie and tell them that you live in Canada and are coming back from a short vacation. However, this can be dangerous because you don't know what they know so if they figure out you are lying about that, they might not believe anything else you say.

If your situation is that you are working overseas and your family is living in Canada, if you choose not to live in Canada, you will pretty much have to accept that you will lose your PR at some point. Even if you are never reported on entry during your visits, your PR card will at some point expire and you will be unable to renew it. You would then be unable to visit your family unless you renounced your PR and either applied for a visit visa or asked your spouse to sponsor you for PR again.

If your situation is that you are ready to return to Canada one last time to stay for good, you have to hope that you are not reported on that last entry. If you get in, you have to stay for 2 years at which time you will meet the residency obligation again and can apply to renew your PR card with no consequences.

wantinfo

Dec 31, 2012
Leon said:
You should get the CBSA history too but they aren't always complete so if you find out when you want to apply to renew your PR that they have not registered all your entries for the past 5 years, it would be too late to take the pictures, unless you find a way to roll the odometer back :)
Thanks Leon and Steaky for valuable suggestions.