+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligation and renewal

sanchil

Mar 21, 2014
Hi All,

My landing date in Canada was 18 June 2009. I stayed for about three months and then left Canada on 17 Sep 2009. I came back on 6 Sept 2012 and stayed on since. I'll completing my 730 days of stay on the 5th June 2014. My problem is that I have barely ten days left between completion of my mandatory 730 days and expiry of my PR. When is the best time for me to apply for renewal of my PR. Will I run into any issues with the immigration on this count. People ... kindly advise ...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no obligation to renew before expiry so just sit tight and make sure you do not apply to renew until you have your 730 days and preferably a few more.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to add to Leon's comments stay clear of CBSA and CIC....in addition to no PR Card renewal, no travel, no sponsorship and definitely no trouble with the law!

sanchil

Mar 21, 2014
well ... when I returned after a long time ... I saw there were a couple of queues at the airport customs. One for returning residents and the other for tourists. I picked the tourist queue (silly of me ... ::) ) with my PR card and that lead the customs officer to ask me some additional questions. He then redirected me to... I think to the Borders officer in a separate section who made a note against my PR. He mentioned that they will be keeping a close watch on my movements. Well ... I haven't been anywhere out of Canada ever since ... not even to the US ... stayed put ... That is probably the only brush of trouble I have had ...

I hope it won't lead to any nasty issues that I may have to deal with later ...

Thanks for responding to my query and for ur advice ... msafiri :)