+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligation and card renewal

sherifdarar

Apr 5, 2018
Hi all,
I got my PR and landed in Canada on the 2nd of April 2022 and stayed 10 days. Then I left and came back this summer and spent 40 days. Total number of days is 50 days. Now I need to travel one last time and come back permanently on the 1st of July 2025. Based on this situation. I would not have fulfilled the two-year obligation for PR card renewal. (I will miss 40 days). My PR card is valid till the 15th of May 2027.
So, Is there any risk when I enter Canada on the 1st of July 2025? Will the officer make any calculations and say you will not be able to fulfil the two years? If I enter, is there any issue that might happen if I stay the two years straight forward and try to renew the PR card, let's say in August 2027?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So, Is there any risk when I enter Canada on the 1st of July 2025? Will the officer make any calculations and say you will not be able to fulfil the two years? If I enter, is there any issue that might happen if I stay the two years straight forward and try to renew the PR card, let's say in August 2027?
Yes, there is a risk. Impossible to say how high that risk is. But perahps decent they'll just give you a warning.

If you then stay two years straight, yes, you can apply to renew card.

sherifdarar

Apr 5, 2018
Yes, there is a risk. Impossible to say how high that risk is. But perahps decent they'll just give you a warning.

If you then stay two years straight, yes, you can apply to renew card.
many thanks for your reply. I know it is hard to ask but do you recommend it ?