+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expired when I was a Minor + PRTD Rejected when I was a minor

leeskay6

Jul 8, 2024
Hello,

I am trying to decide on the next best course of action for me to move to Canada permanently - hope to find some answers on this forum!

My parents and I immigrated to Canada in 2002 and left Canada in 2005 - I was a minor at the time.

Fast forward to 2010, our PR cards expired, and my parents decided it would be a good idea for me to pursue higher education in Canada. They attempted to apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds, but it was rejected because we did not meet the residency obligation. I was still a minor when the PRTD was rejected.
Having 90 days to appeal the decision, my parents decided not to appeal.
Now, based on my understanding our PR status was likely revoked because my parents did not appeal this decision - but is there a way I can check my current status in Canada and be sure, since I was a minor back then?

I plan to move to Canada permanently this time by applying through Express Entry, but I'm afraid my old PR status will get in the way.

Appreciate any advice/thoughts? Many Thanks!

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I am trying to decide on the next best course of action for me to move to Canada permanently - hope to find some answers on this forum!

My parents and I immigrated to Canada in 2002 and left Canada in 2005 - I was a minor at the time.

Fast forward to 2010, our PR cards expired, and my parents decided it would be a good idea for me to pursue higher education in Canada. They attempted to apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds, but it was rejected because we did not meet the residency obligation. I was still a minor when the PRTD was rejected.
Having 90 days to appeal the decision, my parents decided not to appeal.
Now, based on my understanding our PR status was likely revoked because my parents did not appeal this decision - but is there a way I can check my current status in Canada and be sure, since I was a minor back then?

I plan to move to Canada permanently this time by applying through Express Entry, but I'm afraid my old PR status will get in the way.

Appreciate any advice/thoughts? Many Thanks!
You can order GCMS notes but you lost PR in 2010. Losing PR will not get in the way if you are eligible and have a high enough score for invitation through Express Entry.

leeskay6

Jul 8, 2024
@Naturgrl Appreciate your response!

I do actually have the officer notes handy. The last comment on there from the time of PRTD rejection, when I was a minor states:

'Subj (me) has not met residency requirements and there are no compelling H&C factors. The Subj has been living outside of Canada since 2005 with parents and that the situation can continue - it is a situation of their own making. PRTD Refused.'

I think based on your comment , I feel convinced that I can move forward with a new EE Application, since my parents did not appeal on my behalf in 2010 and no appeal = lost status.

Thank you once again!