+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card validity/expiry for citizenship ceremony

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks, I would like to double check with you - can someone attend citizenship ceremony with expired PR card or it should be still valid...? Thanks.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HighFive said:
Folks, I would like to double check with you - can someone attend citizenship ceremony with expired PR card or it should be still valid...? Thanks.
An expired PR does not affect your status, the only issue is that you will not be allowed to enter Canada with it. It's like an expired DL you cannot use it to drive unless you renew it. Nothing to worry about.

Lunaking

Nov 28, 2014
HighFive said:
You only need to hand it over at oath and get your certificate. My wife's carad had expired and the officer took it during the interview saying that she doesn't need it as the application is approved. Checked with cic and confirmed that the pr card is not needed at oath.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
HighFive said:
Please check the following link: I hope it helps.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

You do not need to have a PR card to apply for citizenship. If you have a PR card, but it is expired, you can still apply for citizenship.

2222Sb

Jan 20, 2015
My pr card expired Jan 6 2015 applied for a new one since the citizenship process takes so long had my interview Jan12,2015 he mentioned all looks good I was set to go but would have to wait for my new PR card ,I said so my citizenship file was on hold till I get my PR card ? He said well it's not really on hold but is all part of the process !!!! So I would definitely check .....I did phone the call Center and was told my PR card was approved just not mailed out yet....just playing the waiting game :(((

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2222Sb said:
My pr card expired Jan 6 2015 applied for a new one since the citizenship process takes so long had my interview Jan12,2015 he mentioned all looks good I was set to go but would have to wait for my new PR card ,I said so my citizenship file was on hold till I get my PR card ? He said well it's not really on hold but is all part of the process !!!! So I would definitely check .....I did phone the call Center and was told my PR card was approved just not mailed out yet....just playing the waiting game :(((
Just called CIC and confirmed that - PR card should NOT be valid for citizenship ceremony & oath but you must have it in hand on that day even if it is expired.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
HighFive said:
Just called CIC and confirmed that - PR card should NOT be valid for citizenship ceremony & oath but you must have it in hand on that day even if it is expired.
Great! I have mentioned the same. Please see the above mentioned comments by me.

pegasusyt

Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
Ecas not working grr... when you call CIC it tells you if you application was received after November 4 it's not in process yet.. mine was received November 12 so I guess I gotta wait.. so happy for all of you that got updates!

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pegasusyt said:
Ecas not working grr... when you call CIC it tells you if you application was received after November 4 it's not in process yet.. mine was received November 12 so I guess I gotta wait.. so happy for all of you that got updates!
Good luck, mate! All we need here is patience. :)

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Great! I have mentioned the same. Please see the above mentioned comments by me.
thanks, thecoolguysam, as we say, plenty is no plague. :) Took CIC officer name, date & time & 4 digits ID number for my reference.