+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal

monukj

Jul 4, 2024
I applied for the PR card renewal- Hand C ground application last year. Received AOR on 09 June 2023 and processing of my application start on July 28th 2023. Decision made on file on June 1st 2024 and till date no information. No letter has been received yet. Today my MP contacted IRCC and they said eligibility approved, criminality and medical in progress
I have no idea why they write decision made if the application is still in review. My wife and children are canadian citizen and i am in India and taking care of my parents. Not sure what I can do? Any suggestions or anybody face same issue. What does the decision made mean?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I applied for the PR card renewal- Hand C ground application last year. Received AOR on 09 June 2023 and processing of my application start on July 28th 2023. Decision made on file on June 1st 2024 and till date no information. No letter has been received yet. Today my MP contacted IRCC and they said eligibility approved, criminality and medical in progress
I have no idea why they write decision made if the application is still in review. My wife and children are canadian citizen and i am in India and taking care of my parents. Not sure what I can do? Any suggestions or anybody face same issue. What does the decision made mean?
Basically your decision to apply for a PR card on H&C basis was an error (in most cases it is, at least IMO). You haven't even specified if you were/are in compliance iwth the residency obligation, so I'll assume no.

You can either wait and see what they do, OR apply for PRTD when you think you are ready to return to Canada. If you're not going to turn to Canada to stay, no sense in doing so at present.

It's possible you may not get PRTD approved (refusal) which would start process of losing PR status. Since your spouse can sponsor you, not the end of the world. In some respects may be easier that way.

monukj

Jul 4, 2024
Thanks for reply. I will wait for the decision. My kids are also canadian citizen and i was sure that ircc always prioritize the children presence in canada. If they reject then my wife can sponsor me, so as said it is not end of the world.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for reply. I will wait for the decision. My kids are also canadian citizen and i was sure that ircc always prioritize the children presence in canada. If they reject then my wife can sponsor me, so as said it is not end of the world.
I'm not sure I understand your point; the children are in Canada, it's you that has not prioritized residing in Canada (just from what you've provided).

I'm also not clear what you put as H&C basis for the PR card renewal nor have you clarified - are you in compliance with the RO or not?

But this whole issue with why you've not received clear communications, is mainly because issuance of PR card to someone who didn't apply from within Canada and not living in Canada is generally not how they proceed. They might tell you "It's ready, come and pick it up in IRCC Canada office." Which brings you back to either needing a PRTD, or - if you have access to USA - crossing at land border.

But again, depending on circumstances, either work it out or be sponsored anew. My guess is there's some chance they will take into account that you'll just be sponsored anew, and possibly therefore just approve the PRTD.

monukj

Jul 4, 2024
1.No I didn't meet the residency obligation.
2..I applied for PR renewal last year when I was in Canada. But had to leave as my father need the care and from back 3 years I am not residing properly in canada due to my parent illness.
3. My wife is govt.employee and we file proper taxes and my family got citizenship just last month.
4. I don't have usa visa.
5. Not sure why on file it is showing decision made and when MP contacted they said eligibility approved, criminal and medical not started. Not sure why this is needed in pr renewal.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
2..I applied for PR renewal last year when I was in Canada. But had to leave as my father need the care and from back 3 years I am not residing properly in canada due to my parent illness.
General guidance overall is to not apply for PR card unless in compliance. While there is apparently a process to apply for a renewal under H&C considerations, to me the guidance on some sites (incl legal firms) seems to miss the point: a PR who is IN Canada doesn't technically need the card in order to remain in Canada legally*, and an applicant who is OUT of Canada can (should?) apply for a PRTD. (For those who apply and then leave immediately AND are out of compliance, they seem to do separate slow processing)

It seems much of the time when they process these, they go through a slow procedure and often require pick up in Canada. To some degree allowing the applicant to prove (again) that they've settled in Canada, or are at least in Canada. If they can't show up locally to pick up - either it's considered abandoned or the applicant has to apply for a PRTD.

Hence the point about just applying for a PRTD (under H&C), WHEN it is needed to return to Canada and in order to settle.

* Granted there are other reasons for which a card is needed, at least in some cases, like applying for health care or getting a SIN. I think those would be good reasons for them to issue early to those in Canada, but I don't run IRCC.

5. Not sure why on file it is showing decision made and when MP contacted they said eligibility approved, criminal and medical not started. Not sure why this is needed in pr renewal.
My own impression is that these file entries are not reliable indicators, esp for PR card under H&C; they probably do mean something but not necessarily what applicants think.