+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal

PGWP03

Jun 27, 2012
Dear all,

I have some inquiries on the renewal of my Canadian permanent residency card. I have obtained my Canadian PR on April 20, 2013 and my PR card will expire on July 15, 2018. I have lived in Canada since I obtained my PR card and before I left Canada for the U.S. to pursue my Ph.D. degree in July 2015. But before that I spent half year in China and also made some frequent visits to the States. So, I did not fulfill the 2 out of 5 years requirement before I moved to the U.S. I still need to be physically present in Canada for another 6 months before I meet the 2 year requirement. I am right now still in the U.S. to complete my study. This Ph.D. program will take 4 years to finish. That means I will have to stay in the U.S. until July 2019. I could work to see if I can finish the program by April 2018 then return to Canada before my PR expiry date (July 15, 2018) and stay there and do not leave the country until I accumulate 2 years out of the past 5 years and then I can submit the renew application. Except for this option, do I have any other options because there is no guarantee that I can finish the program in 3 years even if I try very hard? I really like to keep my Canadian PR residency. I want to hear your opinions on what is the best way to have my P.R. card renewed successfully once it comes to renew. Also, I have some ties to Canada that I guess can help me with the application

1. Canadian driver license
2. Life insurance with Manulife in Canada (I still make monthly premium payment to this company in Canada)
3. CIBC and BMO bank account
4. I also keep all the travel documents and keep an excel sheet that captures the departure and return date for each travel outside Canada.

Is there any other documents that I can prepare accordingly that will be helpful to support my application? Thank you. I appreciate your advice.