+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal question

FabledKnights

Jul 8, 2018
I am currently preparing my application to renew my PR card, which expires in late October.
It looks like things have changed: according to the Guide, the Document Checklist and the Application Form, it seems like "Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation in the past 5 years" is now mandatory, even if you spent less than 1095 days outside Canada. I don't see the old disclaimer anywhere that states it's only necessary if you've spent more than 1095 days outside Canada.

I have a question about that. Appendix A of the Instruction Guide says this:
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
I'm not entirely sure what they're expecting here.

1) Does "2 pieces of evidence" mean two items from the list? Such as bank statements + pay stubs?
Or does it mean two specimens from a single list item? For example, two pay stubs, or two bank statements?
Or does it just mean "any 2 documents, as long as they're something from the list"?

2) Let's say I choose bank statements: am I supposed to print out and include all my bank statements from the past 5 years?

3) Once IRCC has received my application, I can still travel in and out of Canada with my current PR card as long as it is valid, correct?

Thank you

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm not entirely sure what they're expecting here.

1) Does "2 pieces of evidence" mean two items from the list? Such as bank statements + pay stubs?
Or does it mean two specimens from a single list item? For example, two pay stubs, or two bank statements?
Or does it just mean "any 2 documents, as long as they're something from the list"?
Two pieces of evidence is two pieces of evidence. Personally I think better to have two different things, and probably from slightly different time periods, but it probably doesn't matter.

Reactions: dpenabill

FabledKnights

Jul 8, 2018
Two pieces of evidence is two pieces of evidence. Personally I think better to have two different things, and probably from slightly different time periods, but it probably doesn't matter.
Thank you. I don't know how attaching just 2 documents from the list could possibly prove that I've been in Canada for the required duration, but I guess I'll just follow the instructions to the letter.

Do you happen to know the answer to this question?
3) Once IRCC has received my application, I can still travel in and out of Canada with my current PR card as long as it is valid, correct?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you. I don't know how attaching just 2 documents from the list could possibly prove that I've been in Canada for the required duration, but I guess I'll just follow the instructions to the letter.

Do you happen to know the answer to this question?
Yes, you can still travel.

Yes, I agree that using "proof" in this way is entirely stupid and confusing. However, there are some that believe that there is a sense of the word proof in which this is not confusing. Which is a poor argument in my view - if it confuses most people who read it, it IS confusing, period. All defenses of this use of the word are obtuse if they don't address this problem.

At any rate: don't worry about it, follow the instructions.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This response says what needs to be understood.

It will not "prove" that you have been in Canada for the required duration.

These are "supporting documents" . . . just that, documents that support the PR's report (truthful, as in accurate and complete report) of information in the application.

Yeah, "if in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions."

Yes, I agree that using "proof" in this way is entirely stupid and confusing. However, there are some that believe that there is a sense of the word proof in which this is not confusing. Which is a poor argument in my view - if it confuses most people who read it, it IS confusing, period. All defenses of this use of the word are obtuse if they don't address this problem.
The sad part is that "there are some that . . . " conflate and confuse this subject, here, even though they readily understand what the instructions mean (regardless how much they are confused by this or that term).

And sure, offense taken. And brushed off. Focus is on how things work and what people need to know.

Overall, how it works, what PRs need to know:

For PRs who have not been outside Canada more than 1095 days (since landing, or if a PR for more than five years, during the previous five years), the "supporting documents" they submit with a PR card application need to be evidence of residency in Canada, the supporting documents themselves do not need to prove the PR met the Residency Obligation. These documents just need to "show" residency in Canada during the relevant five years.

However, if IRCC questions (challenges) the PR's account of travel history, LATER in the process the PR may be required to submit more information and documents, enough evidence ("proof") to prove, to IRCC's satisfaction that they met the RO. That's a different subject.

FabledKnights

Jul 8, 2018
It will not "prove" that you have been in Canada for the required duration.
Which is why it's confusing that they're calling it "proof".
The document checklist literally says this:
Proof showing you meet the residency obligation in the past five (5) years immediately before the application. Please refer to Appendix A of the instruction guide for a list of the documents required.
Then you check Appendix A, and it tells you to only attach 2 docs, none of which even remotely provides "proof showing you meet the residency obligation in the past five (5) years", which is supposedly the reason you're asked to include these docs in the first place.

The wording is very confusing.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Then you check Appendix A, and it tells you to only attach 2 docs, none of which even remotely provides "proof showing you meet the residency obligation in the past five (5) years", which is supposedly the reason you're asked to include these docs in the first place.

Could NOT agree more. At the very least, they should use language other than `Residency Obligation', since we all remember that as the 730 days in Canada requirement to satisfy the...Residency Obligation for renewing a PR Card, or obtaining a PRTD.

Maybe something as simple as saying: "Provide 2 pieces of evidence that you have lived, or are now living in Canada." No need to use `Residency' or `Obligation' at all!

Reactions: armoured

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

For a PR who meets the RO based on presence, for the purpose of making a PR card application the PR is instructed to submit supporting documents consisting of just two pieces of evidence, that is two documents showing they were resident in Canada during the relevant time period.

You are right, two documents of that sort will not even remotely provide proof showing you meet the residency obligation in the past five (5) years.

The two pieces of evidence submitted should provide support for the information the PR submits in the application. And while I have not seen the internal IRCC memos verifying this, it is obvious enough that is the reason (in the first place or otherwise) the PR is asked to include two such items with the application: to support the application.

And that's it . . . unless there is some reason why IRCC questions the PR's travel history. What happens then is a different subject.

Notwithstanding the extent to which some express confusion about the language employed, no other credible or reasonable interpretation of the instructions has been so much as suggested.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Notwithstanding the extent to which some express confusion about the language employed, no other credible or reasonable interpretation of the instructions has been so much as suggested.

You are right, two documents of that sort will not even remotely provide proof showing you meet the residency obligation in the past five (5) years.
I think some - including myself - have expressed strongly that the language used IS confusing, even where we agree with your interpretation - because they ask for proof when evidence is a better word. And since it IS confusing, it is badly written.

I note, in particular, that to explain what the language actually means you use almost exactly the phrasing that we have suggested could be used to communicate what is needed more clearly:

The two pieces of evidence submitted should provide support for the information the PR submits in the application. And while I have not seen the internal IRCC memos verifying this, it is obvious enough that is the reason (in the first place or otherwise) the PR is asked to include two such items with the application: to support the application.
Which is pretty much the difference between 'badly written' (unclear, confusing) and not-badly written. Since 'proof' is ambiguous, make it explicit that what is being provided is evidence (two pieces) of residing in Canada. Not hard at all.

Reactions: Ponga

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I think some - including myself - have expressed strongly that the language used IS confusing, even where we agree with your interpretation - because they ask for proof when evidence is a better word. And since it IS confusing, it is badly written.

I note, in particular, that to explain what the language actually means you use almost exactly the phrasing that we have suggested could be used to communicate what is needed more clearly:
The two pieces of evidence submitted should provide support for the information the PR submits in the application. And while I have not seen the internal IRCC memos verifying this, it is obvious enough that is the reason (in the first place or otherwise) the PR is asked to include two such items with the application: to support the application
Which is pretty much the difference between 'badly written' (unclear, confusing) and not-badly written. Since 'proof' is ambiguous, make it explicit that what is being provided is evidence (two pieces) of residing in Canada. Not hard at all.
At the risk of being an utter bore . . . and betraying too much personal information . . .

I do not have an opinion about how these particular instructions can be better written. I am not so confident about how to replace the language as has been proposed here. But as you have probably seen, that is not something I dig into much; I tend to avoid, or at least try to avoid expressing opinions about or focusing on how things should be (albeit with some exceptions).

I try to stay focused on what the rules are and how things work, as best we can sort things out. That's plenty. And yeah, that's not always easy; it's no news flash that IRCC information, notices, application forms, and instructions are commonly (all too commonly it seems) plagued by difficult language, or worse. Did anyone mention that bureaucracies are what bureaucracies do?

In addition to what I have observed in the last decade and a half, I have had my share of personal experience dealing with unclear information, instructions, and notices (especially those full of boilerplate and which are clearly based on one-template-for-all). I came to this site to ask questions, trying to sort out some unclear information being what brought me to this forum in the first place (late 2007), more than a couple years before I came back and joined as dpenabill (early 2010) . . . and between this and another similar forum I learned something that was very valuable to me back then, which at the time saved us a lot of time, a lot of inconvenience, and a huge amount of anxiety. I came back here to pay-it-forward, and have lingered long past expectations of moving on (although for many years now I have reduced my participation to a narrow range of subjects). So I get it that some things are not clear.

On another hand, I am also very much cognizant how difficult it is to compose this kind of information, let alone the forms and checklists in particular. I recently turned down an offer to write legal forms (for an American publication, for pleading actions in U.S. courts) precisely because how hard that work is (and, well, at this stage of life, not enough money in it to make it worthwhile).

So I get it when someone like @lfindlay stumbles over the language in the PR card application, like that in question 5.3.

But I don't see much value in comparing whether the way IRCC uses "accompanying" in 5.3 is more or less confusing than its use of "proof" in the checklist. Among the many, many other examples too easily plucked from IRCC sources. Sort it out best we can.

In regards to "proof," in particular, perhaps it has been the more than four decades of experience in jurisprudence, including three decades during which I have written, overall, more than a couple hundred treatise articles for various publications and jurisdictions (although none Canadian; my day job so to say, even if I tend to work at night), for use by lawyers and judges not laypersons, and which included numerous articles specifically discussing evidence and proof, perhaps that experience badly skewers my understanding of a term like "proof" compared to non-lawyers and such. Since few making applications to IRCC are jurists or law-trained, or have been following and sorting out how these things work in order to help others, I get it when someone stumbles with question 5.3 in the PR card application. I get it when someone asks for clarification about what they need to submit, by way of supporting documents with their PR card application.

And for those of us paying attention and focused on helping, especially compared to some of the more complex issues that arise (like what qualifies for the working-abroad-for-a-Canadian-business credit), the answer to what most PRs need to submit with a PR card application is simple, it really is quite simple; for example:

You provide evidence of residing in Canada, as they ask, and no more. Don't worry about what constitutes proof.
Or, if in the mood to elaborate a little more:

Do not over interpret: IRCC asks for EVIDENCE of residency, and gives examples. They ask for two repeat two pieces of such evidence.

Yes, a couple of notices of assessment and/or a couple of T4s should be enough.

While they may refer to PROOF, they ask for evidence. Just provide the evidence, as suggested, in the quantities requested.

If they want more, they'll ask for it.
Yep. That's it. That's plenty.

If I seem defensive here, sorry, but I can be a bit thin-skinned (I'd blame that on my age, but as hard-hearted some may say I am, I've long bruised easily). Am still stinging some from the "verbiage" remarks (especially since they seemed intended to offend).

So perhaps my vision here is a bit clouded (smoke in my eyes is how the song goes, best I can recall).

Meanwhile the subject of what will prove RO compliance to the satisfaction of IRCC, if questioned or challenged, is a different subject. What is "proof" of presence in the sense of what it takes to prove RO compliance on a balance of probabilities is a big, complicated subject. But, it warrants noting with some emphasis, proof of presence is NOT a subject that comes up often, not much at all in regards to any litigated cases involving PR's compliance with the RO, and in the processing of PR card applications, rarely at issue if at all.

I would really appreciate a reference to any IAD or Federal Court decision related to a PR card application that was much focused, at all, on whether the PR proved sufficient presence to meet the RO; I have seen none. There must be some, but I have not seen any. None. And I look. And I know how to look. Even in PR TD denial cases and appeals from PoE Removal Orders, only a small percentage of the cases involve PRs claiming to have sufficient presence to meet the RO, so the question of the breach itself is almost always NOT in issue . . . and in the small percentage of cases where proof of RO compliance is at issue (vast majority of cases are about whether there should be H&C relief), that is typically about whether one of the credits for time outside Canada should be allowed, not about the number of days present in Canada. In some H&C cases the number of days present in Canada is in issue, but I have seen very, very few in which there is much focus on this.

In contrast, what will satisfy IRCC, in processing a PR card application, to issue the PR card without questioning or challenging the PR's claim they meet the RO, is a question underlying every PR card application. A little complex but not at all abstruse, what will satisfy IRCC, in processing a PR card application, that a PR claiming RO compliance based on presence is eligible for a new PR card, is mostly about how confident IRCC is the PR's travel history, address history, and work history, as reported in the application, shows compliance. As of earlier this year IRCC is also asking for a little more, two pieces of evidence showing residency, to aid its evaluation of what the applicant has submitted. And of course IRCC can and will assess the information against other sources, like CBSA travel history, to help it verify whether what the applicant has submitted is accurate enough to rely on. If that assessment leaves open some question, IRCC will ask for more.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I do not have an opinion about how these particular instructions can be better written. I am not so confident about how to replace the language as has been proposed here.
But you do have an opinion - you defended the way it was written, and effectively claimed that it was lack of comprehension on the part of applicants.

Did anyone mention that bureaucracies are what bureaucracies do?
Sure. And the public complains - sometimes rightfully so. Also normal. Sometimes those complaints are completely well-founded (cough cough this case), sometimes less so.

But I don't see much value in comparing whether the way IRCC uses "accompanying" in 5.3 is more or less confusing than its use of "proof" in the checklist. Among the many, many other examples too easily plucked from IRCC sources. Sort it out best we can.
There is one pertinent difference here, which is that this requirement and hence the language related to it is new, and when such requirements are new, they are apt to adaptation and correction, or at least more so than in cases such as 'accompanying.'

I think you know perfectly well, besides, that the 'accompanying' case is different, because it's in the law and hence 'interpreted' or explained by subsequent governments, tribunals, and the courts - and that at times the government might kind-of/sort-of not want to clarify it but instead allow some ambiguity because administration gets more difficult.

Arguably something similar here except that what and how the government explains what it wants when it requires documents is something it can and should complain, and actually has here - just poorly.

the answer to what most PRs need to submit with a PR card application is simple, it really is quite simple; for example:
With ref to above, especially because the answer really is quite simple and that IRCC can ask for more evidence later if it wishes to anyway.

If I seem defensive here, sorry, but I can be a bit thin-skinned (I'd blame that on my age, but as hard-hearted some may say I am, I've long bruised easily). Am still stinging some from the "verbiage" remarks (especially since they seemed intended to offend).
I committed a drive-by sarcastic attack and for that I apologize. It was intended to prod, accuse, bruise a little bit, but not so very much, and I'd hoped in a good-natured way. So mea culpa. Perhaps I should have put some emoji to make it clear I was giving you a bit of a hard time but hadn't intended it to be mean-spirited. But I'm bad at emojis.

A little complex but not at all abstruse, what will satisfy IRCC ... As of earlier this year IRCC is also asking for a little more, two pieces of evidence showing residency
You do tend to, as the young'uns put it, 'throw down' with a fair bit of verbiage. Everyone's got their style, it'll bug some, don't worry about it.

But despite your protestations about how editing and communicating is hard, this one doesn't require that much verbiage - IRCC could reduce the confusion, as you have done here, by simply using the word 'evidence' more actively, and using more carefully (less) the word 'proof.'

That is precisely what you've done here - boiled it down using the word 'evidence.' They could easily, if needed, put a footnote saying you must demonstrate (or even 'prove') to the satisfaction of IRCC that you meet the RO, and they will ask for more evidence if needed.

As you note, the other evidence - travel dates etc - actually plays a (more) significant role in doing so.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Further commentary is probably unnecessary given how extensively the instructions for including supporting documents with a PR card application have been addressed. And given there really is no controversy or conflict regarding what the instructions require from PRs in RO compliance based on being present in Canada.

In particular, other than an occasional revival of efforts to complicate if not obfuscate things, and despite the back-and-forth in these extensive discussions, there is no controversy, but rather a solid consensus, about what the PR card application checklist and instructions require for PRs who are in RO compliance based on presence in Canada. In terms of supporting documents, just two documents which are evidence of residency in Canada is sufficient for the PR to honestly mark as submitted the checklist item:
[ ] Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation in the past five (5) years immediately before the application. Please refer to Appendix A: Residency Obligation.

NOT difficult for anyone who has actually spent two years in Canada.

So, an overall reminder, in an effort to keep focus on the essential information even while wrestling in the weeds some more . . .

OVERALL, A REMINDER (for PRs meeting the RO based on presence in Canada):

What will satisfy IRCC, in processing a PR card application, that a PR claiming RO compliance based on presence is eligible for a new PR card, mostly depends on how confident IRCC is about the veracity of the PR's travel history, address history, and work history, as reported in the application, and that this information shows RO compliance. As of earlier this year IRCC revised the application instructions and checklist to also ask the PR for a little more, two pieces of evidence showing residency, to aid its evaluation of what the applicant has submitted.
Of course IRCC can and will assess the information against other sources, like CBSA travel history, to help it verify whether what the applicant has submitted is accurate enough to rely on.​
For most PR card applications this processing is done attendant opening the application, or very soon after that. AOR and Decision-Made the same day is common, and for most PRs, the AOR and Decision-Made are no more than a week or three apart.​
If, in contrast, that assessment leaves open some question about the PR's RO compliance, IRCC will ask for more. What needs to be submitted to satisfy IRCC if the PR's information is questioned or challenged is a different subject, far more complicated and variable given that a lot depends on the particular facts and circumstances in the individual case, and the nature and scope of questions or concerns involved.​

The rest of this is largely a sidebar . . .

But you do have an opinion - you defended the way it was written, and effectively claimed that it was lack of comprehension on the part of applicants.
Sure, I have an opinion, many opinions.

Apart from the effort to keep my opinions out of it, however, NO, definitely not, I do not have an opinion as to how the instructions or checklist should be written. I was not lying or being disingenuous; again, how the instructions should be written is not something I bother thinking much about. Again, my focus is on interpreting instructions, as best we can, and figuring out how to apply them, how to best navigate these aspects of PR card applications.

I have expressed an opinion, concurring with many others, including you, that despite improvement in the recent revisions, there are "still issues" and the "checklist is still vague in some respects." In fact, in regards to the question about what the instructions require a PR to provide, I posted:
There are still issues. The checklist is still vague in some respects. I recognize and largely concur in the concerns expressed by @armoured, as to the "uncertainty" many PRs are likely to face regarding what evidence should be included with their application.
And I have made similar observations many times. Indeed, again and again I have referenced unclear, uncertain, and vague instructions and questions, many times in between that post (in mid-June) and the post you just responded to above in which I again reiterate that I get it that these instructions are unclear enough that, quote, "I get it" when someone stumbles over questions in the application, "I get it when someone asks for clarification about what they need to submit, by way of supporting documents with their PR card application."

Here, for example, is a quote from another post of mine:
And yes, yes indeed, the language of the checklist and in the Appendix leave a lot to be desired in terms of clear instruction.
So no, I have not "defended the way it was written."

In contrast, I have propounded an interpretation. And vigorously defended that interpretation. Perhaps more argumentatively than explanatory at times, but as I have reiterated several times, regardless some confusion oriented to particular terms ("proof" being the primary term of concern), what the instructions require a PR to do, to submit, is clear enough there should be little or no dispute what is required from the PR who meets the RO based on presence in Canada. And I don't think there is much dispute about what is required.

It is not as if I am the author or sole advocate for this interpretation. Almost everyone who is paying attention and focused on helping those with questions navigate the process, and who have addressed this, likewise see the revised instructions as simply adding the requirement to include two pieces of evidence showing residency in Canada (again is for PRs who meet the RO based on presence).

Moreover, it warrants remembering that requiring PRs to submit two pieces of evidence showing residency in Canada, had been implemented for those making a PR Travel Document application back in the summer of 2022. For the better part of a year the only question about the 2022 revisions was whether providing this evidence also applied to PR card applicants.

Proof versus Proof; What Proves . . .

I do not mean to revisit the meaning of "proof" . . . generally, in the checklist, in Appendix A, or what its predominant meaning is, or otherwise.

But I suspect you interpreted my explanation (verbiage included) that sometimes the word "proof" is used in reference to the items of evidence that can be used to prove something, not necessarily the sum or totality of what constitutes conclusive proof, as defending the use of the term in the checklist and instructions. It is not defending its use to explain how or why a term like "proof," as it appears in the checklist qualified by reference to the appendix, does not conflict with or controvert or undermine what most agree on, and what I think we both agree is the appropriate interpretation of what is required . . . what I am very confident is intended.

For another example of what I have said in this regard, here specifically referencing the checklist:
And yeah, words like "proof," in the context of what does or does not "prove RO compliance," tends to complicate and confuse things.
The problem, and what I have pushed back against, is not in what applicants have asked, but in forum commentary that leverages confusion about the term "proof" in the checklist into suggesting this is about requiring proof to conclusively establish, or definitively prove, the RO was met, arguing that this term makes it is uncertain what IRCC is asking for, that this makes the checklist item altogether unclear, confusing, or misleading. No, what is required is clear, clear enough anyway there should be little or no dispute what is required, DESPITE how unclear or confusing one or more of its terms are. Clear enough, that is, for those here are trying to help others to confidently describe what is asked for, just two pieces of evidence showing residency.

As I have also noted:
. . . the language may be "inconsistent" but absent overthinking it is nonetheless easily understood (but for too much overthinking diversion from forum participants who, frankly, should know better).
By the way, the latter was not alluding to you. Not at all. As I have quoted, you have many, many times responded to questions about what needs to be submitted with the simple, straight-forward observation that (for PRs in compliance based on presence) just two pieces of evidence showing residency is all that is asked.

The problem is not rooted in the question. The difficulty is not due to applicants asking. The latter leading to a bigger burr in my saddle . . .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A Bigger Burr In My Saddle:
(to arbitrarily employ a cowboy expression, with Calgary Stampede implications, although that world is a long way from mine)

. . . you defended the way it was written, and effectively claimed that it was lack of comprehension on the part of applicants.
The accusation that I ". . . effectively claimed that it was lack of comprehension on the part of applicants," is not true. Not close. While at times I can inject a barbed intimation in response to what seems baiting or trolling questions (the forum gets a bit of this), I generally approach applicant questions with respect, neither dismissively nor derisively. And here, in particular, I have responded to applicant questions about this issue specifically stating what I am confident is the well-founded consensus, interpreting the instruction to only require PRs (those in compliance based on presence) submit two pieces of evidence showing residency.

In this thread, for example, my response to the OP did not in any sense suggest the question about what to include with the application derived from the OP's lack of comprehension. I stated that what needs to be understood is that "Two pieces of evidence is two pieces of evidence. Personally I think better to have two different things, and probably from slightly different time periods, but it probably doesn't matter." Quoting you.

The OP stated "I don't know how attaching just 2 documents from the list could possibly prove that I've been in Canada for the required duration." And I responded: "It will not "prove" that you have been in Canada for the required duration. These are "supporting documents" . . . just that, documents that support" the information provided in the application.

And likewise (varying depending on individual factors) in response to similar questions by
@a nervous applicant here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-renewal-questions.816444/
@Johny Bravo here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/“proof-showing-that-you-meet-the-residency-obligation…”-now-mandatory.805920/page-2
@sirfanmkm here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/residency-obligation-document-proof.811403/
@Frisk here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/lost-pr-card-how-do-i-prove-i-meet-the-residency-obligation.809306/
@tarekahf and @wnsgkstm here (down the conversation some): https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/supporting-documents-showing-that-you-meet-the-residency-obligation.792712/

In contrast, as I have suggested, some of those commenting on these questions have more or less deliberately conflated the proof to be submitted with a PR card application with what would be required to conclusively establish, or definitively prove, the RO was met. In regards to which I have said, more than once, that DESPITE how unclear or even confusing some of the language is, for PRs in RO compliance, based on presence in Canada, what is required is clear, clear enough anyway there should be little or no dispute about what is required. Clear enough, that is, for those here that are trying to help others to confidently describe what is asked for: just two pieces of evidence showing residency.

You yourself have pushed back when @Ponga referred to a need to submit two pieces of "proof:"
I'm going to get specific on language here because I think it's important - everyone must look at the Appendix A:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA

Where you will find this: "Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
-You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as: ..."

Note the bolding is mine, for emphasis, and extra emphasis, underlined.

The part I'm underlining: some of the documents they are asking for are EVIDENCE that CAN SHOW residency in Canada.
It appears that you have no reservations in regards to what the checklist means, in terms of what is required, despite how seriously problematic you, and some others, consider IRCC's use of the word "proof" in the checklist. So, while I do not fully share how seriously problematic the language is, but allowing there are flaws in it, I do not see any disagreement in terms of understanding what the applicant needs to include with a PR card application. And responding to questions accordingly.

In any event, I get it that applicants have questions about what needs to be submitted.

I do not get, and indeed I do not accept, and will push back against, suggestions that the checklist is asking a PR to provide proof that will conclusively establish, or definitively prove, the RO was met. Which is the corner in the room where, it seems to me, the noise comes from.

SM1981

Dec 19, 2023
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an update for this? Did you just submit one NOA and one bank statement (for example), and was your application processed?

Thanks for the helpful thread!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an update for this? Did you just submit one NOA and one bank statement (for example), and was your application processed?

Thanks for the helpful thread!
Yes, there are other threads where applicants have confirmed this worked with no problem.

Reactions: SM1981