+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card Renewal delay, have to travel to the US for one week for a conference

kmhijazi

Jul 15, 2014
Hello Everyone!

I am currently a PR and have been in Canada since March 2014 (landed in June 2011, departed in September 2011, came back in March 2014). Accumulating approximately 783 days in Canada by the time CIC received my renewal application in April 6, 2016 (as of the date of writing this post this number cranked up to 973 days). I am also a graduate student on the verge of finishing my thesis in December this year, and planning on doing my PhD and settling here in Canada.

In May 2016, I received an email from the CIC, telling me that I am placed under a secondary review, and was asked for several documents, including colored photocopy of all my passports' pages AND travel certificates from all the countries I have been to: I have done my due diligence in that regard and made sure I have sent all the documents that I was able to get my hands on, covering all my travels over the less than two and half years I was away. CIC received the documents in the beginning of June 2016. I have applied for an urgent processing, telling CIC my situation and presenting my travel itinerary, it has not been seen yet.

Here is my issue, in July 2016, I have received the acceptance to present my research study at a prestigious scientific conference in the USA, which is going to be held for one week in October 2016. As of today's date, my PR card has not been issued, and it will be inconvenient for me to send for a PRTD, as all the Canadian consulate offices issuing these documents are far from where I am going (Minneapolis). I called CIC and they mentioned that I could either travel back by car, and present my landing papers along with my other documents proving that I am a PR, or I should apply for the PRTD.

Here are my questions:
1) Would it be possible for me to apply for the PRTD while I am in Canada prior to my travel?
2) Considering the fact that I did abide to the minimum residency obligations and have not broke any of the rules, would I face trouble if I decided to get back to Canada by car?

All advice in regard to my situation is more than welcome. Please note that this conference is such a great opportunity for me to further my career and missing out on it would be a great loss for me.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

1. No, you can't apply for a PRTD prior to your travel.

2. You should have no issues. Explain that your PR card renewal app is being processed and carry proof such as the fee reciept.

kmhijazi

Jul 15, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

1. No, you can't apply for a PRTD prior to your travel.

2. You should have no issues. Explain that your PR card renewal app is being processed and carry proof such as the fee reciept.
Hi Canuck in uk,

Thanks for your reply.

I kind of figured out the PRTD is not a feasible option, as I will be staying for only one week in the US, no more than that. As I heard, it could take up to two weeks to get the PRTD if I applied the second I get to the USA.

I was thinking of presenting the following documents (along with the obvious document, my passport):

1) landing papers (PR confirmation)
2) renewal application receipt and receive notice
3)secondary review notice
4)university ID
5)driving licence
6)my expired PR card

Would you say that is a strong combination of papers to present?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
kmhijazi said:
Hi Canuck in uk,

Thanks for your reply.

I kind of figured out the PRTD is not a feasible option, as I will be staying for only one week in the US, no more than that. As I heard, it could take up to two weeks to get the PRTD if I applied the second I get to the USA.

I was thinking of presenting the following documents (along with the obvious document, my passport):

1) landing papers (PR confirmation)
2) renewal application receipt and receive notice
3)secondary review notice
4)university ID
5)driving licence
6)my expired PR card

Would you say that is a strong combination of papers to present?
If travelling by car then technically all you need is a passport to be identified as a PR and allowed back into Canada.

Of course with all the supporting docs you will bring, that will be more than enough to speed up the process with CBSA when entering. You should have no difficulty at all.

kmhijazi

Jul 15, 2014
Rob_TO said:
If travelling by car then technically all you need is a passport to be identified as a PR and allowed back into Canada.

Of course with all the supporting docs you will bring, that will be more than enough to speed up the process with CBSA when entering. You should have no difficulty at all.
I think so, I am still going to get there by plane, if the PR was with me (by some sort of a miracle), then I will be able to fly back. If not then I will fly to the closest spot to the Canadian border and drive across the border.

But I really, really, REALLY hope I don't get to these limits.