+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR CARD EXPIRED - Can I enter Canada by private Vehicle From USA

savio.dcruz

Aug 3, 2013
Hi Leon,
I have an Indian passport and my PR card expired July 18th 2016, I meet the PR renewal obligation which is already in process as I work with a Canadian Company and travel on work to UAE.

Due to the delay in processing of travel documents in Abu Dhabi, Would i be able to travel by air to US and cross the border to Canada by a rent a car through the Niagara border. Please advice at the earliest. Thanks.

bubulici

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
Yes.

PS: this sort of question has been asked time and time again; would be great if Search functionality would be used.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
savio.dcruz said:
Hi Leon,
I have an Indian passport and my PR card expired July 18th 2016, I meet the PR renewal obligation which is already in process as I work with a Canadian Company and travel on work to UAE.

Due to the delay in processing of travel documents in Abu Dhabi, Would i be able to travel by air to US and cross the border to Canada by a rent a car through the Niagara border. Please advice at the earliest. Thanks.
Let us know how the PR card renewal goes. I am not convinced that your circumstances will count for the exemption.
Yes, you can travel by private vehicle.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
savio.dcruz said:
Hi Leon,

Yes as a PR you can cross into Canada by car from US border.

However based on your post history from 2013, your employment situation doesn't meet the requirements to count time working abroad to your residency obligation. You should have been hired for a role based in Canada first, and then been transfered on a temporary basis to an office abroad. None of that seems to apply to your case.

You should prepare for the likely outcome that your PR renewal currently in progress will be rejected and you will have your PR status revoked.

You had also mentioned sponsoring a wife to Canada, did she ever get her PR status? If so she can possibly apply to sponsor you later if your own PR status is revoked. Or if that's still processing, once CIC learns you don't meet the RO they would also cancel your wife's sponsorship.

savio.dcruz

Aug 3, 2013
Not good news for me if the Canadian contract given to me is not taken to consideration, the last 5 years of paying 45k each year in income tax and the properties I own would just be a waste....

savio.dcruz

Aug 3, 2013
My PR status has been justified and will be issued. Thanks zardoz you were right my contract in Canada did help me and btw rob_to you were wrong....Cheers

ibo_ibo

Sep 7, 2016
bubulici said:
Yes.

PS: this sort of question has been asked time and time again; would be great if Search functionality would be used.
I left Canada on Nov. 2013, I couldn't find a job since I have landed on nov. 2008, and my family was suffering, I spent all my past savings :(, now I want to come back with my family (wife and 2 childs) we all have expired PR (our PRs expired on Dec. 2013), we have all multiple visit visa to USA, any chance that CSBA allow us to go inside Canada by a private Canadian Rent Car, with only COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Res.) and passports and expired PR's.
do I have to show my expired PR's for the CBSA?!
I really wish I could return back, as I am now financially stonger than before and I can have my own business.

your quick and clear answer is really appreciated.

ibo...