+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expedited processing

RandomPilot

Jul 5, 2024
I'm landing soon in Canada as PR. Does anyone have an idea if it is possible to apply expedited processing of new PR card at the port of entry?

I'm a pilot by profession, which means any job I get would require me to constantly fly in and out of the border. And this rightly causes many employers to ask to have a PR card before employment. I wouldn't want to sit unemployed just because of a delay in getting the PR card so I'm hoping this would be a reasonable explanation as to why I need urgent processing.
Anyone with similar experiences or ideas regarding this, please do share.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm landing soon in Canada as PR. Does anyone have an idea if it is possible to apply expedited processing of new PR card at the port of entry?

I'm a pilot by profession, which means any job I get would require me to constantly fly in and out of the border. And this rightly causes many employers to ask to have a PR card before employment. I wouldn't want to sit unemployed just because of a delay in getting the PR card so I'm hoping this would be a reasonable explanation as to why I need urgent processing.
My impression is that standard PR issuance after landing is pretty consistently within the published timelines, i.e. I think <75 days or so now? And often enough less than that. Seems to mostly be done automatically plus mail time.

You can try applying for expedited - but I warn, again my impression, that formally requesting expedited processing tends to make it take longer (separate process to check the reason for it, which means a human, which means subject to queues).

Up to you. You can try asking the CBSA officer when landing. My guess is they'll tell you it's usually not that long, or that they don't know, or that they can 'try' (but probably they don't know how and perhaps just being nice).

Good luck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

It's not possible to apply for urgent processing at the POE. CBSA doesn't process the application. You would need to try to request urgent processing from IRCC after landing. Some information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/urgent.html

RandomPilot

Jul 5, 2024
<75 days actually doesn't sound too bad, my worry is some of the posts I've seen in this forum about them not getting PR cards even months after landing. For an average person who's not in a hurry to travel and would take time to settle anyway, it might not make much of a difference but for my specific case I feel like it would be a horror story.

It's a shame though that nothing can be done at the border anyway. And if you feel the expedited processing request would be more of a hassle than a normal one, I guess I'll just rely on them to process within the normal time then.

Thank you guys for your responses, appreciate it.

RandomPilot

Jul 5, 2024
Just wanted to update this thread for anyone wondering latest processing times. My PR card reached my address within 20 days of landing without any need for expedited processing. Quite efficient

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured