+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and WORK PERMIT requirements

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
Tiger,

I appericiate your views tiger. But i have no options left.

I got an admission for MBA ISP in Brock and likely in VIU as well. The problem here is, MBA from these universities are not valued in terms of job prospects, just to get a MBA tagged to your name we can opt them. My intension is to work in canada for few years are return back to india for which i heard like a graduate certificate would help. I couldnt crack GMAT and that is why Im opting for degress without GMAT. I have 2.5 years IT experience and planning to persue Information Systems Business Analyst from George Brown as it is aligned to my previous studies and experience. Now after you post Im totally scared and confused about my future plans.

Obviously getting a job post degree is completely dependent on Individual, but our profile should be valued so that we can atleast try for a opening.

sqazi

Dec 18, 2012
[
ftp][/URL]
tiger007 said:
Hi,

I'm calm. and yet shocked..at how easily you give wrong and dangerous advice to fellow forum member, without knowing any facts. Not once you mentioned about CO-op... and we all can read..what you posted... -- and I repeate:

STATEMENTS BY --Infoseeker12
<<<"You have to have worked atleast 1 year in Canada - that's the main requirement. So if you are in 2-3 yr program, study one year quietly, for the next year ask your college that you have financial difficulties and you want to work for 1 year. They can't say no as you already are allowed to work for 2-3 years depending on the length of your program.

Work for that 1 yr and then apply for immigration through CEC stream. Go back to college to study 2nd year and within 9 months you will get PR. ">>>

You are clearly advising the member to lie..and manipulate... that's your idea of integrity huh?

And I'm very well aware what co-op is... and co-op's as part of course... and co-op separately will be considered ONLY if u hv completed studies... not like wht u suggested....and there are certain rules attached to it..as mentioned by enfield.

So..nor I'm anyone's pet..nor can be sedated so easily..as you perceive...I'm a member of this forum..who will advise only on a topic..with which I'm fully aware of, that too with a disclaimer.
So.. before calling names... try to keep check on your retarded replies and counter-replies.

Remember..at the end of the day..we are here to help each other, share our knowledge and at same time learn from each other.

Have a Good day.
hi tiger i got a student visa my husband wants to go with me i am preofessional what are the options for him please seniors and u discuss?i need help urgent

tiger007

Champion Member
New_Aspirant said:
Tiger,

I appericiate your views tiger. But i have no options left.

I got an admission for MBA ISP in Brock and likely in VIU as well. The problem here is, MBA from these universities are not valued in terms of job prospects, just to get a MBA tagged to your name we can opt them. My intension is to work in canada for few years are return back to india for which i heard like a graduate certificate would help. I couldnt crack GMAT and that is why Im opting for degress without GMAT. I have 2.5 years IT experience and planning to persue Information Systems Business Analyst from George Brown as it is aligned to my previous studies and experience. Now after you post Im totally scared and confused about my future plans.

Obviously getting a job post degree is completely dependent on Individual, but our profile should be valued so that we can atleast try for a opening.

Hi,

Read carefully. I mentioned MOST of PG BUSINESS courses of these Ontario based colleges. I did not comment on ALL courses or technical/other PG courses. Courses like Information Systems Business Analyst from George Brown (PG or not) cannot be generalized with the PG business courses, which is a way to enter Canada, irrespective of their standards. You may very well pursue such course in Canadian college, but remember , ultimately it's on you to succeed. besides, there's nothing to be scared of, many people go and make it to a skilled job/PR after doing PG bushiness courses in colleges. If you think this course - Information Systems Business Analyst at George Brown , matches your profile and previous experience and will help you get a job in that field in Canada, then go for it! As for MBA, only go to good or atleast average MBA's at public universities which requires a GMAT score of certain standard. Most average MBA schools in Canada, require 550 in GMAT. This is a a very good option, provided you can clear GMAT, and get admission.

Best of Luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

tiger007

Champion Member
sqazi said:
[
ftp][/URL]hi tiger i got a student visa my husband wants to go with me i am preofessional what are the options for him please seniors and u discuss?i need help urgent
Hi,

Congrats on getting a student visa.
According to Canadian immigration law: Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit. Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.
So, as long as your study permit is valid, and you remain a full time student in a recognized Canadian educational institute, your spouse is eligible for an open work permit, which will allow him to work full time in any job. Your husband needs to apply for a work permit, based on your valid study permit.

To know more see:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/study.asp

Best of Luck

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Read carefully. I mentioned MOST of PG BUSINESS courses of these Ontario based colleges. I did not comment on ALL courses or technical/other PG courses. Courses like Information Systems Business Analyst from George Brown (PG or not) cannot be generalized with the PG business courses, which is a way to enter Canada, irrespective of their standards. You may very well pursue such course in Canadian college, but remember , ultimately it's on you to succeed. besides, there's nothing to be scared of, many people go and make it to a skilled job/PR after doing PG bushiness courses in colleges. If you think this course - Information Systems Business Analyst at George Brown , matches your profile and previous experience and will help you get a job in that field in Canada, then go for it! As for MBA, only go to good or atleast average MBA's at public universities which requires a GMAT score of certain standard. Most average MBA schools in Canada, require 550 in GMAT. This is a a very good option, provided you can clear GMAT, and get admission.

Best of Luck.

Apologies for misunderstanding your words.

Information Systems Business Analyst is a Post Graduate Ontario Certificate from George Brown College.This program is not offered in other colleges of canada. Im a B.Tech (Information Technology) graudate and now in IT industry, so i guess this program should be the best choice. But my concern as of now is the recognition offered to this post graduate ontario certificate.

tiger007

Champion Member
New_Aspirant said:
Information Systems Business Analyst is a Post Graduate Ontario Certificate from George Brown College.This program is not offered in other colleges of canada. Im a B.Tech (Information Technology) graudate and now in IT industry, so i guess this program should be the best choice. But my concern as of now is the recognition offered to this post graduate ontario certificate.
Hi,

Honestly.. best choice for you will be to pursue a Master degree in Computer science engineering. You can pursue 1 year course based or 2 years research based master degree.OR a standard univ. MBA which requires GMAT.

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Honestly.. best choice for you will be to pursue a Master degree in Computer science engineering. You can pursue 1 year course based or 2 years research based master degree.OR a standard univ. MBA which requires GMAT.

Masters in Computer Engineering will be too technical and it is for people aiming to get into more technical.

I prefer for Masters in Information Systems which i couldnt find in any universities of canada. Kindly help me out if you know any masters program in information systems withoug GMAT/GRE.

PG certificate from colleges would be my last option. As i couldnt get any masters program in the required field i chose to go with PGD.

Thanks.

I find it difficult in managing my work as well as preparing for GMAT. Thats the only reason i opted for PGD.

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
Hi,

FYI, if information security is a subject matter that happens to interests you, thn u hav an awsome course at the concordia university college of alberta.chkout for Master of Information Systems Security Program (MISSM).. i say awsome bcoz i was impressed by the job prospects the college mentioned in their website, after completion of the course...

Regards

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
pd_IT said:
Hi,

FYI, if information security is a subject matter that happens to interests you, thn u hav an awsome course at the concordia university college of alberta.chkout for Master of Information Systems Security Program (MISSM).. i say awsome bcoz i was impressed by the job prospects the college mentioned in their website, after completion of the course...

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for the info. This masters is more of research side with importance given to information security and not Analysis. My friend is currently a student of this program.

Do not get impressed by the stats given in college/university websites.

Have a Great Day..!!

selvakumarmvs

Dec 9, 2012
tiger007 said:
PGWP is ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity for international students in Canada. So, once you get a 1 year PGWP after doing a 1 year course.. that' s it... you can never again apply for PGWP. You have to find a skilled/unskilled work(depending upon province/immigration programme) and do that job for 0-12 months(again depending upon immigration programme/province) and try to get your provincial nomination or PR under CEC within that 1 year period. If your PGWP expires, before your nomination..then there are other lengthy way of getting your work permit extended such as getting positive LMO (labor market opinion) from CIC. It's quiet a bit of complex and lengthy procedure, and positive result is not always guaranteed. So, if you are unsure, that you may not fulfill the requirements within 1 year to apply for PR/nomination..then to be on safer side, its better to do a 2 academic years/4 sem/min. [/u]

Hi Tiger,

is it true that taking 4 semester course ( 4 X 4 months = 16 months ) will be eligible for 3 years PGWP ?..
For ex:

1 year -
sem1 Sep to dec and sem2 jan to Apr
2 year
sem3 Sep to dec and sem4 jan to Apr

Can you please check the link..' http://grad.uwo.ca/prospective_students/programs/program.cfm?p=22133 '...they are saying length of program is 1.33 years for 4 terms/semesters course ...

One more question..do you know how long will take to get PNP if we apply through Ontario Master degree stream ( apply PNP without work exp in last semester of graduation )...and also how long will take PR after getting PNP in Ontario...

Thanks

vimalind

Aug 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New_Aspirant said:
Hi,

Thanks for the info. This masters is more of research side with importance given to information security and not Analysis. My friend is currently a student of this program.

Do not get impressed by the stats given in college/university websites.

Have a Great Day..!!
As a Student of CUCA. I agree the same..!! Its true.. dont believe ranking, ranking based on number if pgm n students. in CUCA we are less.. they mainly focus holy studies of UG pgm. MISSM and MISAM is the only top masters we offer. Good career future if u finish this pgm

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New_Aspirant said:
Masters in Computer Engineering will be too technical and it is for people aiming to get into more technical.

I prefer for Masters in Information Systems which i couldnt find in any universities of canada. Kindly help me out if you know any masters program in information systems withoug GMAT/GRE.

PG certificate from colleges would be my last option. As i couldnt get any masters program in the required field i chose to go with PGD.

Thanks.

I find it difficult in managing my work as well as preparing for GMAT. Thats the only reason i opted for PGD.
In my experience, to be able to crack into specialized areas such as information security, business analysis, project management etc, a diploma program is just not enough. You need relative work experience and certification.

If you are going to go for a diploma program, i would look into how it would help you to get certification. For e.g. CISSP for info security professionals. There are some Business analysis programs offered by universities that will give you a credential as well as prepare you for the certification exam by satisfying the work experience part. I believe UVIC offers one. Unfortunately, just a diploma is usually not enough to give you the edge when job hunting. But a certification does.

my 2 cents

vimalind

Aug 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just_do_it said:
In my experience, to be able to crack into specialized areas such as information security, business analysis, project management etc, a diploma program is just not enough. You need relative work experience and certification.

If you are going to go for a diploma program, i would look into how it would help you to get certification. For e.g. CISSP for info security professionals. There are some Business analysis programs offered by universities that will give you a credential as well as prepare you for the certification exam by satisfying the work experience part. I believe UVIC offers one. Unfortunately, just a diploma is usually not enough to give you the edge when job hunting. But a certification does.

my 2 cents
I agree, certification wuld help.. CISSP required 5 years minimum exp in 2 out of 12 IT security domains, this will reduce 2 years when the time of finish MISSM

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-15, 2013
Passport Req..
July-16, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July-17,2013
LANDED..........
Sep-09,2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Congrats on getting a student visa.
According to Canadian immigration law: Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit. Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.
So, as long as your study permit is valid, and you remain a full time student in a recognized Canadian educational institute, your spouse is eligible for an open work permit, which will allow him to work full time in any job. Your husband needs to apply for a work permit, based on your valid study permit.

To know more see:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/study.asp

Best of Luck

Hi Tiger
I need your advice here in this area. My case is similar- like I will be applying for my study visa in a while and my husband will also accompany me to Canada. I have some Q’s regarding applying for student dependent visa/.
1. Should I apply for my study visa first or in parallel with his OWP?
2. Should I take him only after my first semester gets over or is it fine to take him along when I leave to Canada?
3. Suppose if he can’t accompany me while I go to Canada, how do I apply for a spouse visa from Canada? Or should it be done from India?
4. Mine is an interfaith marriage and he belongs to Islam..will there be any other criticalities linked to it? Or will it be just fine as yet another case.
5. When students with kids are permitted to study, can’t we take spouse alongside at the same time when we enter Canada?