+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) current actual processing time

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My situation is kind of similar and it's so confusing for me.
Can I start working full-time after completion of my course if I have a valid study permit and off-campus work-permit before applying for PGWP because for applying for a PGWP we need official transcript. And transcripts take than a month. Any suggestions or info? Thanks
kahuela said:
I think I found the answer, "As long as you apply for the PGWP before your study permit expires you will have implied status." So if I've got study permit which allows me to work and I apply for PGWP before study permit end I just keep working legally until I get PGWP.

imarchuang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
HOPEFULLY NO
Nomination.....
HOPEFULLY SOON
AOR Received.
HOPEFULLY SOON
IELTS Request
SENT WITHIN APPLICATION
God of war said:
My situation is kind of similar and it's so confusing for me.
Can I start working full-time after completion of my course if I have a valid study permit and off-campus work-permit before applying for PGWP because for applying for a PGWP we need official transcript. And transcripts take than a month. Any suggestions or info? Thanks
Yes, you can! Essentially, your situation is under the regulation 186(v) in the link, and I think you can try to refer it to your employer:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

I2

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please do not reply to this email.

Date: 2016-01-07

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Processing Times

The processing times for applications processed inside Canada, as well as statistical information on applications processed outside Canada, are available on our website.

For more information on the Canadian visa offices’ processing times, please contact the visa office directly.

The information provided on the website is an approximation of the current processing times. The time frame to process each application can differ and some applications may take longer to process than others; there is no maximum time frame to finalize an application. If further information is needed, the responsible office may contact you.

If you sent the application by traceable means (Xpress post, courier, registered mail) and you would like to verify when it was received at the office, please contact the postal service provider.

60-leaf.jpg60-leaf.jpg60-leaf.jpg

Implied status - Temporary resident

If you send your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada at the latest on the expiry date of your status, you will be considered in status as a temporary resident (TR) until a decision is made on the application. That is known as an implied status as a TR.

If you apply for renewal of your work or study permit and your permit expires before a decision is made, you have the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions until a decision is made on the application as long as you remain in Canada.

If you leave Canada while under implied status, you may be authorized to re-enter Canada:

As a TR, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved*. This applies to you, among other things, if:
you are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt,
you hold a valid multiple-entry visa or you have travelled only to the United States** and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon and return to Canada before your status as a visitor, student or worker expires; and
the officer at the port of entry is satisfied that you have sufficient means of support,
As a worker or student, if the officer determines that your application to extend your work/study permit was approved while you were outside Canada, or
If you are eligible to apply for a new work or study permit at your arrival in Canada.
For more information on implied status, please consult our website.

*You will not be permitted to work/study until you receive your new permit.
**Including its Territories and Possessions.

Transition - Studying and working off-campus to post-graduation work permit

A student can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if they meet all of the requirements of the PGWP program.

While awaiting a decision to be made, they can continue to work and hold a full-time position if, at the time they submit their PGWP application:

They held a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit, or
They held a valid study permit and were eligible to work off-campus without a work permit.
Visit our website to see how long it may take to process your application.

Conditions or remarks required on study permit to obtain a SIN

In order to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada, one of the following conditions or remarks must be printed on your study permit (SP):

May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies.
May work 20 hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR.
May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.
If none of these conditions/remarks appear on your SP, you must apply for a Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents.

To find out if you are eligible to work on campus or off campus, or for more information on student work programs, please visit our website.

Re-entry to Canada as a Temporary Resident - Required documents

To return to Canada, you must have a valid passport or travel document*. You also need to have a valid study or work permit if you are returning to study or work in Canada. If you are from a country whose citizens need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to travel to Canada, you will also need a valid TRV to return, unless:

You are returning to Canada after a visit only to the United States** or St-Pierre and Miquelon ; and
You return before your status as a visitor, student or worker expires or any extension to it.
Please note that we cannot guarantee your re-entry to Canada. An officer will ask you questions to see if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.

* Citizens of the United States do not need passports or travel documents to enter or return to Canada. Permanent residents of the United States do not need passports or travel documents if they are entering or returning to Canada from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon only. Both must provide documentary proof of citizenship or permanent residence such as a national identity card or an alien registration card.

** Including its Territories and Possessions.

The information in this email is meant to assist you in understanding the immigration and citizenship policies and/or procedures. If you plan on consulting this email again at a future date, please visit our website at www.cic.gc.ca to ensure that you have the most current information.

I would also like to suggest other online services that you might find helpful:
Download application forms and guides
Change of address
Check your application status
Help Centre to find answers to your questions

imarchuang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
HOPEFULLY NO
Nomination.....
HOPEFULLY SOON
AOR Received.
HOPEFULLY SOON
IELTS Request
SENT WITHIN APPLICATION
any news from anyone? It seems that CIC is currently processing applications submitted early November

imarchuang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
HOPEFULLY NO
Nomination.....
HOPEFULLY SOON
AOR Received.
HOPEFULLY SOON
IELTS Request
SENT WITHIN APPLICATION
b4ahmad said:
Is there anybody around who has received PGWP recently?
Applied 20-Jan-2016, still waiting.
Samo samo.. I applied on 26-Jan, still waiting

zwang987

Mar 10, 2016
Hi,

I applied at Oct 30th, but I still do not have any feedback at this time, does anyone face a similar situation?

friend23

Mar 15, 2016
Hey guys

I applied for my PGWP online on October 21, 2015. The processing times on the CIC website state that they are currently processing applications on October 26, 2015. But my file status still shows as open. Can someone please advise on what can be done to expedite the processing? I see that a lot of people are in similar situation, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

NaomiA

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
friend23 said:
Hey guys

I applied for my PGWP online on October 21, 2015. The processing times on the CIC website state that they are currently processing applications on October 26, 2015. But my file status still shows as open. Can someone please advise on what can be done to expedite the processing? I see that a lot of people are in similar situation, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
If your application has exceeded normal processing time, you can call the CIC call centre. The agent should be able to take some action since you have exceeded the processing time. Calling them is quicker than submitting an IRCC web form (CSE form), as they often take 2 weeks - to a month to respond...

friend23

Mar 15, 2016
NaomiA said:
If your application has exceeded normal processing time, you can call the CIC call centre. The agent should be able to take some action since you have exceeded the processing time. Calling them is quicker than submitting an IRCC web form (CSE form), as they often take 2 weeks - to a month to respond...
Thanks Naomi... I called the agent and he said that it has been approved.. just the CIC people are not mailing it out yet

imarchuang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
HOPEFULLY NO
Nomination.....
HOPEFULLY SOON
AOR Received.
HOPEFULLY SOON
IELTS Request
SENT WITHIN APPLICATION
friend23 said:
Thanks Naomi... I called the agent and he said that it has been approved.. just the CIC people are not mailing it out yet
Did you apply online or paper-based? If online, had you received any update alert email from CIC? or is your application status changed to Approved now?

friend23

Mar 15, 2016
imarchuang said:
Did you apply online or paper-based? If online, had you received any update alert email from CIC? or is your application status changed to Approved now?
I applied online... I got around 5 blank updates.. status still shows open... the agent said it will show closed only when they mail out the hard copy