+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit : 3 years ??

gurusk

Jul 20, 2011
Hi guys,

I am an international masters student in Canada on study permit.
My course (or duration) of study is 2 years (as per the university offer letter).

But I will finish my studies in 13 months. Please note that my study visa (multiple entry) is valid for 2 years.

So, when I apply for Post Graduation work permit, will I be eligible for 13 month duration Work Permit OR 3 years Work Permit (since my actual COURSE or DURATION OF STUDY is 2 years, as per the university offer letter).

COURSE OR DURATION OF STUDY tells us as how long it takes in general to complete this masters degree.

Please Clarify !!

Also, does it make any difference, if I apply for Post Graduation Work Permit ONLINE or OFFLINE (hard copies) ?

I am looking forward to travel to my home country in near future.
Should I travel BEFORE I FINISH MY STUDIES, so that I won't face any difficulty when I return back to Canada?

OR Can I travel even AFTER I am finished with my studies in future and IS IN POSSESSION of the Post Graduation Work permit?
Since, the immigration people (when I am coming back from my home country) can say that since I am already finished with my studies, why am I going back (even though I have the valid multiple entry study visa, But I am NO longer a student)??

And, I completely understand that "Post Graduation Work Permit" only allows someone to work in Canada for full time.
It has nothing to do with "travelling abroad"? Only "Valid Visa" is considered when I intend to return back to Canada.

Please Advice !!

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
I would like to know the answer too. Please someone with the knowledge in this matter reply :)

Kaushik Roy

Star Member
Jun 30, 2011
Calcutta
Category........
Visa Office......
Calcutta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
IELTS Request
31-12-2010 || Overall 8.0
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2011
LANDED..........
Hopefully soon....
Any answer from seniors will be welcome. i need to know the answer too ::)

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gurusk said:
Hi guys,

My course (or duration) of study is 2 years (as per the university offer letter).

But I will finish my studies in 13 months. Please note that my study visa (multiple entry) is valid for 2 years.

So, when I apply for Post Graduation work permit, will I be eligible for 13 month duration Work Permit OR 3 years Work Permit (since my actual COURSE or DURATION OF STUDY is 2 years, as per the university offer letter).

COURSE OR DURATION OF STUDY tells us as how long it takes in general to complete this masters degree.

Please Clarify !!

Also, does it make any difference, if I apply for Post Graduation Work Permit ONLINE or OFFLINE (hard copies) ?

Should I travel BEFORE I FINISH MY STUDIES, so that I won't face any difficulty when I return back to Canada?

OR Can I travel even AFTER I am finished with my studies in future and IS IN POSSESSION of the Post Graduation Work permit?
Since, the immigration people (when I am coming back from my home country) can say that since I am already finished with my studies, why am I going back (even though I have the valid multiple entry study visa, But I am NO longer a student)??

And, I completely understand that "Post Graduation Work Permit" only allows someone to work in Canada for full time.
It has nothing to do with "travelling abroad"? Only "Valid Visa" is considered when I intend to return back to Canada.

Please Advice !!
1. Your Post Graduate Work Permit is decided more on the basis of "number of credit hours" your finished in your course. So check out how many credit hours you have done !
for example, In Canada MBA is normally a 57 Credit hour course which is equal to two year of study, now it doesn't matter if you finish your 57 Credit hours of MBA in 15 months or 20 months, you are entitled to get 3 year Work Permit.

2. Strongly advise to apply for Post Graduate Work Permit via Online at "Case Processing Centre", Vegreville, Alberta. Don't worry even with online, it may takes upto 2-3 month to get it.

3. Simply apply for Multiple entry visa. Since you shall be holding Post Graduate Work Permit, so it won't be a problem to get multiple entry visa.
gurusk said:
Hi guys,

Please Clarify !!

Please Advice !!
1. Your Post Graduate Work Permit is decided more on the basis of "number of credit hours" your finished in your course. So check out how many credit hours you have done !
for example, In Canada MBA is normally a 57 Credit hour course which is equal to two year of study, now it doesn't matter if you finish your 57 Credit hours of MBA in 15 months or 20 months, you are entitled to get 3 year Work Permit.

2. Strongly advise to apply for Post Graduate Work Permit via Online at "Case Processing Centre", Vegreville, Alberta. Don't worry even with online, it may takes upto 2-3 month to get it.

3. Simply apply for Multiple entry visa. Since you shall be holding Post Graduate Work Permit, so it won't be a problem to get multiple entry visa.

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
My case is somewhat similar. Maximum time for my masters was 2 years but i completed in 1 year and 4 months. So am I eligible for a 3 year work permit ? I had to take total 10 courses. I am not sure how do you calculate the length of the work permit that can be issued to you . can you please explain about it ??

another question i have is
I have to apply for a post graduate work permit from buffalo. I have completed my masters from toronto in one and half year. Do you have any idea for how long buffalo office give me post grad work permit. I heard if you apply to buffalo they usually give a 3 year PGW permit regardless of the length of the program.
And also i have to renew my TRV as it expires in about 3 months. Do they still provide same day service ?? If not do you know how long do they take? Is it better for me to get a US visa and apply from buffalo office in person. or if i dont get the US visa can i mail them my passport and apply my PGWP from buffalo as i have heard that you get a 3 year Post grad work permit even if your length of program is about a year or so ..

Any comments on this matter would be appreciated
Thanks.

vicksvirdi85

Nov 22, 2011
hi...
I have enroll for Ontario Graduate Certificate in HRM i.e. of 8 months duration Jan2012 to August 2012 in Humber Collage. Pls let me know would i be eligible for work permit after the completion of my studies or should i change my course after reaching there.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ALM123 said:
My case is somewhat similar. Maximum time for my masters was 2 years but i completed in 1 year and 4 months. So am I eligible for a 3 year work permit ? I had to take total 10 courses. I am not sure how do you calculate the length of the work permit that can be issued to you . can you please explain about it ??

another question i have is
I have to apply for a post graduate work permit from buffalo. I have completed my masters from toronto in one and half year. Do you have any idea for how long buffalo office give me post grad work permit. I heard if you apply to buffalo they usually give a 3 year PGW permit regardless of the length of the program.
And also i have to renew my TRV as it expires in about 3 months. Do they still provide same day service ?? If not do you know how long do they take? Is it better for me to get a US visa and apply from buffalo office in person. or if i dont get the US visa can i mail them my passport and apply my PGWP from buffalo as i have heard that you get a 3 year Post grad work permit even if your length of program is about a year or so ..

Any comments on this matter would be appreciated
Thanks.
Hi,

1. You can apply for PGWP ONLY at 'Case Processing Center, Vegreville, Alberta'. Normal processing time is 90 days.

2. If you are out of Canada and your TRV expires, you have option to apply at;

-CHC of your country,
-Or, Buffalo office, US.

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
THanks enfield

Can you tell me with 10 courses completed in 1.5 years What length of Post graduate work permit I am eligible for. 1 course is 3 credit hours.

I am doing my Masters from U of T right now. But I will be done with my required amount of courses to graduate in Dec 2011 by which the length of my program will be 1year and 4 months for the fall term. So in total it is 16 months. Would I be eligible to apply under CEC with a 1.5 year Masters Program? I see in their website they say something that you must have studied 2 years of post secondary education from a Canadian educational institution.

Should I take 1 extra semester(take 2 more courses and enroll full time and do 12 courses instead of 10 required) and then apply for the PGWP and finish a 2 year program? so that I get a 3 year work permit which will make it easier for me to get my one year work experience and then apply under CEC.

Do you know if it is easy to get PR through PNP ?? or should I not only rely on PNP Ontario and do a 2 year program to ensure my future stays here ??

tt2701

Apr 27, 2012
I am planning to do MBA from canada and the programme is for 16 Months, so can you please tell me that how much time i 'll get for PGWP? 1 year or 3 years?

regards

candyman2121

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
gurusk said:
Hi guys,

Please Clarify !!

Please Advice !!
Where I have recieved my 3 years permit after completing the course for 17 months, I think in reality what matters is that you complete a 2 year program...I know a guy from a toronto university same case as you and he got his 3 years work permit...So most likely you should get a 3 years permit.

candyman2121

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
gurusk said:
Hi guys,

Please Clarify !!

Please Advice !!
One more thing, your total credit hours should be around 50-60 ideally because this gives the IO's an idea that the course load was actually 2 years worth.

YVRBCPNP

Star Member
May 25, 2013
candyman2121 said:
Where I have recieved my 3 years permit after completing the course for 17 months, I think in reality what matters is that you complete a 2 year program...I know a guy from a toronto university same case as you and he got his 3 years work permit...So most likely you should get a 3 years permit.
I will finish my 2 years program in B.C at the end of this month. I am preparing for applying the work permit. But I have no idea how to apply it. Would you please give me some advice? thank you so much!