+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

post graduate work permit

manpreetchahal33

May 16, 2019
hello everyone, my name is manpreet. i need quick suggestion. my study permit will expire on 30 july 2019 and my study will done on 28 june. i dont know should i extend my study permit or apply for temporary visitor visa. because if i apply for my post graduste work permit it will take 3 months to come. but i only have 1 month and then my study permit will expire.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
hello everyone, my name is manpreet. i need quick suggestion. my study permit will expire on 30 july 2019 and my study will done on 28 june. i dont know should i extend my study permit or apply for temporary visitor visa. because if i apply for my post graduste work permit it will take 3 months to come. but i only have 1 month and then my study permit will expire.
Apply for PGWP, you will be in Implied status till a decision is made.

manpreetchahal33

May 16, 2019
Apply for PGWP, you will be in Implied status till a decision is made.
ok so you mean, i dont need to extend anything. just apply for pgwp after the study will done.

yeah, i hear from someone that you still have 60-90days after your study permit expire to change the status or apply for work permit. is it right information?
bythe way thanks :)

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
ok so you mean, i dont need to extend anything. just apply for pgwp after the study will done.

yeah, i hear from someone that you still have 60-90days after your study permit expire to change the status or apply for work permit. is it right information?
bythe way thanks :)
You now have 180 days to apply, you can even apply with a expired study permit. However with a expired study permit you won't have status in Canada, so it's better to do it before it expires.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You cant apply without valid status so you either need to
  1. Apply before the study permit expires, check with your school if you will have official letter of completion by then.Can work waiting for PGWP.
  2. Extend SP before expiry. Can work waiting for PGWP.
  3. Switch to visitor status before expiry of SP, if you do this you cant work while waiting for PGWP.