+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduate work permit validity period

Phoebe1119

Jul 13, 2019
Hi,

I'm a graduate of Diploma in Accounting - UBC. The program was advertised to be completed from 10 months - 24 months. As there are some courses which are not required in Diploma program but is required for CPA-PEP enrollment, I chose to study those optional courses and was able to finish the degree in 24 months with full-time student status for all terms. I assumed that I will get 3-year post-grad work permit. However, my UBC advisor told me that I would be likely to get open work permit for only 1 year as the program was designed to be completed in 12 months for full-time student. Are there anyone here also graduated from this program? Can you please share with me your situation and how many years your open work permit is valid? I intend to study for CPA and it is required that I have 30 months work experience in order to get the designation.

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
Hi Phoebe,

I am also planning to enroll in this program this September and I would like your help. I also would like a 3 year pgwp so I’m planning to enroll in all the courses offered (11 + 3). But according to my calculation these courses can only be completed in a maximum of 20 months if I take 3 courses per semester and 2 courses in the last semester.

Could you please tell me how did you manage to complete it in 24 months?

Thank you

Karan khanna

Jan 24, 2020
Can I study in Canada for one year then apply for my PGWP and work while extending my work permit until I get in line with my PR status?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can I study in Canada for one year then apply for my PGWP and work while extending my work permit until I get in line with my PR status?
You can't just extend a work permit until you get PR. If your goal is PR, you should be taking a 2 year program to get a 3 year PGWP.

Phoebe1119

Jul 13, 2019
Hi Phoebe,

I am also planning to enroll in this program this September and I would like your help. I also would like a 3 year pgwp so I’m planning to enroll in all the courses offered (11 + 3). But according to my calculation these courses can only be completed in a maximum of 20 months if I take 3 courses per semester and 2 courses in the last semester.

Could you please tell me how did you manage to complete it in 24 months?

Thank you
Hi Cee,

Sorry for my late response. I haven't log in for months. What I did is that in summer term of my second year, I retook 3 courses to improve my score even though I passed those courses. Overall, I would like to continue my study in CPA program so I need good score for that. However, my advice to you is to take some other optional courses if possible, such as micro or macro economics or statistic. It will save you lots of time when you go to CPA program. I hope that will help you. Please feel free to contact me if you still have questions :)

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
Thanks Phoebe for the reply.

Could you let me know how you structured your courses per semester, if you remember? Did you take the additional 3 electives?

The reason I’m asking is because I’m worried the optional courses (electives) in the UBC DAP program won’t be counted by the IRCC officers as part of the program, and will only count the 11 core courses.

Thank you

Kaki Tong

Mar 13, 2020
I have the same question too. May I know the length of your PGWP now? And how did you finish them in 24 months while maintaining full time status? How many courses did you take? Thanks!

Jun 8, 2020
I have the same question too. May I know the length of your PGWP now? And how did you finish them in 24 months while maintaining full time status? How many courses did you take? Thanks!
Hi!
Have you already got this information?
I was going to apply for DAP-UBC when I had this same question. Can I contact you?

Phoebe1119

Jul 13, 2019
No i havent got the answer me yet, but u may contact me
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. It was a crazy time for me. Regarding the courses in DAP program, I need to retake few courses (even though I got high score) in order to maintain full time status. You may try to study some electives though. The reason I choose to retake the course is just because there is no elective course available at that time. Please note that you are only required to study 3 courses in summer semesters (even though there are 2 terms in that semester).

Kaki Tong

Mar 13, 2020
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. It was a crazy time for me. Regarding the courses in DAP program, I need to retake few courses (even though I got high score) in order to maintain full time status. You may try to study some electives though. The reason I choose to retake the course is just because there is no elective course available at that time. Please note that you are only required to study 3 courses in summer semesters (even though there are 2 terms in that semester).
Hello Phoebe, thanks for your answer! May I inbox you or contact you by whatsapp (my whatsapp is +852 67541056) ? I have a few questions about DAP and would like to seek your advice. Thanks!