+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-Graduate Work Permit Refusal

luckanac

Sep 11, 2013
Good afternoon all forum members,

I recently graduated from an eligible post-secondary institute in Alberta and have applied for my first post-graduate work permit.

The application was declined today citing the message:

Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if
they have engaged in full-time studies for at least eight months at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
 publicly funded trade/technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work
permit in this category.

I had always carried a 4-5 course-load every semester throughout my 4-year degree. I did my first three-years before being suspended for one academic year, of which I afterwards returned to the university for another 4 semester to complete my degree.

Would the one gap year be why my post-graduate work permit is being refused ? Or is a 4 class course-load insufficient to qualify as a full-time student ? The university's system had indicated that I was a full-time student for the duration of my studies.

May I trouble you for your experiences and advice ?

Thank you very much,

Signed, S.L.

*Note: As a follow-up, I had applied for the post-graduate work permit within the 90-days window but the as of today that windows has passed. To my understanding, even if my stated case of refusal was due to a misunderstanding, this is much more complicated to resolved.

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luckanac said:
Good afternoon all forum members,

I recently graduated from an eligible post-secondary institute in Alberta and have applied for my first post-graduate work permit.

The application was declined today citing the message:

Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if
they have engaged in full-time studies for at least eight months at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
 publicly funded trade/technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work
permit in this category.

I had always carried a 4-5 course-load every semester throughout my 4-year degree. I did my first three-years before being suspended for one academic year, of which I afterwards returned to the university for another 4 semester to complete my degree.

Would the one gap year be why my post-graduate work permit is being refused ? Or is a 4 class course-load insufficient to qualify as a full-time student ? The university's system had indicated that I was a full-time student for the duration of my studies.

May I trouble you for your experiences and advice ?

Thank you very much,

Signed, S.L.

*Note: As a follow-up, I had applied for the post-graduate work permit within the 90-days window but the as of today that windows has passed. To my understanding, even if my stated case of refusal was due to a misunderstanding, this is much more complicated to resolved.
It seems that the rejection has something to do with the one year suspension. I would recommend that you request GCMS notes to find out more about the reasons behind the decision. You can apply for the notes by visiting this website: https ://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en (please note the space after https)

In the mean time, apply for restoration of status or seek legal advice. Try every possible way to not lose your right to a PGWP as you have already invested time, money and effort in completing your degree.

What school did you go to in AB and what were you studying?

luckanac

Sep 11, 2013
Hello xecuter,

First off, thank you very much for sharing your insights -- I will certainly look to pursue the GCMS from CIC.

I studied at the University of Alberta and successfully completed my Bsc in Engineering.
May I ask if I have to apply for restoration of status if my student permit does not expire until November 2014 ?

Thank you again for your advice,

S.L.

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luckanac said:
Hello xecuter,

First off, thank you very much for sharing your insights -- I will certainly look to pursue the GCMS from CIC.

I studied at the University of Alberta and successfully completed my Bsc in Engineering.
May I ask if I have to apply for restoration of status if my student permit does not expire until November 2014 ?

Thank you again for your advice,

S.L.
Oh, sorry I wasn't aware that your study permit is still current.

In this case you don't have to restore your status since you still have a valid study permit. You got plenty of time to either order the notes or/and seek legal advice.

I live in Calgary so not too far from Edmonton and if you need any help, feel free to send me a pvt message.

Cheers

luckanac

Sep 11, 2013
Not at all an issue, I had neglected to make my situation clear.

Yes, thank you for your encouragements. I have ordered GCMS moments earlier and will look to move on from there.
May I ask if you work in fields relating to immigration ?

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luckanac said:
Not at all an issue, I had neglected to make my situation clear.

Yes, thank you for your encouragements. I have ordered GCMS moments earlier and will look to move on from there.
May I ask if you work in fields relating to immigration ?
Good luck!!

I am a banker!!