+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

yay_321

Jun 15, 2019
Whats the procedure for flag poling?
As far as I know, you go to USA without a visa then they don't let you enter and you come back to Canada and they validate your permits (but as far as I know it only works for the applications that you can file on POE - Port of Entry) I am not sure but I think PGWP is something you can't file on POE maybe because they need to do background check and they can't do in such a small time.

I may be wrong, but thats all I know.

Reactions: tamarly

drp_12

Jul 9, 2019
Actually my wife is on dependent work permit and her workpermit is gonna be expire on 30th July along with my study permit. I applied for my PGWP on 12th may but still waiting. If I will not get it till 30th July can I apply for my wife's WP without my PGWP? Can I upload mine via web form later? Can someone help me with this please?

Last edited:
Reactions: tinu28111987

mcarbon

Feb 23, 2019
Whats the procedure for flag poling?
As far as I know, you go to USA without a visa then they don't let you enter and you come back to Canada and they validate your permits (but as far as I know it only works for the applications that you can file on POE - Port of Entry) I am not sure but I think PGWP is something you can't file on POE maybe because they need to do background check and they can't do in such a small time.

I may be wrong, but thats all I know.
You can flagpole for your PGWP. McGill has some instructions for it here: https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/work/post-graduation-work-permit

My friend did it at peace bridge last month successfully. Although the CBSA agents told my friend they only processed his permit because he had a job starting very soon and he had required travel for the job. Your experience will vary since it is completely dependent on the CBSA agent(s).

If your situation has even a tiny bit of complexity then do not flagpole. If you have already applied online then you cannot flagpole until a decision is made on your application.

yay_321

Jun 15, 2019
Actually my wife is on dependent work permit and her workpermit is gonna be expire on 30th July along with my study permit. I applied for my PGWP on 12th may but still waiting. If I will not get it till 30th July can I apply for my wife's WP without my PGWP? Can I upload mine via web form later? Can someone help me with this please?
On what basis you will apply your wife;'s work permit that your PGWP Application is in process?

I hope you get yours this week ! :)

tinu28111987

Nov 1, 2017
Don't worry buddy, you will definitely get it soon.
Just keep her documents ready and apply as soon as you get PGWP.

Reactions: yay_321

ahmed_hegazy

Nov 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
August 31st 2019
I don't understand at sometimes visa officers got really quick and issued permits in 38 days and now they haven't even for 55-60 days :(
Remember that the "official" processing time as of today is 95 days (which is too long). It is quite weird how the processing seems to have stopped all of a sudden for 2 weeks or so, but ultimately 60 days is still well ahead of IRCC's deadline (95 days) as far as they are concerned.

yay_321

Jun 15, 2019
Remember that the "official" processing time as of today is 95 days (which is too long). It is quite weird how the processing seems to have stopped all of a sudden for 2 weeks or so, but ultimately 60 days is still well ahead of IRCC's deadline (95 days) as far as they are concerned.
I know the processing time - I am taking about what is happening practically based on the data we have in the sheet

Nousernamesadface

May 15, 2019
If she's not working right now, apply for a visitor record (for her). When you get your work permit and have 3 paystubs, apply for her work permit.

ollimac

Jun 20, 2019
If she's not working right now, apply for a visitor record (for her). When you get your work permit and have 3 paystubs, apply for her work permit.
I was in a similar case...while applying for my pgwp, I have also applied to extend her Open Working Permit. I indicated that I am working (so provide paystubs anytime)...either they will request further info like my job contract, paystubs and so on....or worst case, they will reject the Working Permit extension and give her a 'normal' Visitor Permit linked to my pgwp.

Main point is to get the pgwp approved, that will reflect to my wife and kids in any case (Visitor Permit to all of them)...for her Work Permit I can re-apply even later on, I can flagpole with the pgwp in my hand...

Now just stressing for the pgwp...let's get there first.