+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Implied Status

MarielaO

Oct 21, 2019
Hello people.

I hope someone could guide me with the following:

I applied for PGWP online on Sept 3,2019 and my study permit and study visa expired on Sept 10,2019. I am on implied status.
I need to go back home on Dec 18,2019. However, I would not get my PGWP on time because CIC told me I might get work permit in January and after it takes a month to get the work visa.
An Immigration Lawyer advised me to go to the border in Niagara to apply for the work permit over there. However I am afraid that they will deport me, refuse entrance, refuse to give me a work permit. Is this possible? Does anyone have had an experience like this?
If everything goes well, would I have to pay application fees again?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Do you have a TRV?

Theoretically you could flagpole. And you should be allowed re-entry if you only went to the United States.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Why would you be deported? Worst case they refuse to give you a pgwp and tell you to wait. Unless there is something funny about your status.

Reactions: k.h.p.

MarielaO

Oct 21, 2019
Why would you be deported? Worst case they refuse to give you a pgwp and tell you to wait. Unless there is something funny about your status.
Another immigration lawyer told me that. Would I be able to re-enter without a TRV? Because both my visa and permit are expired.