+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POST-GRADUATE WORK PERMIT HOLDRES PLEASE READ THIS

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Someone posted somewhere on this forum an opinion that "immigration should not be bought for money". By saying that, the poster meant that investing in Canadian education should not be considered an asset while choosing candidates for PR. If this concept that "immigration should not be bought for money" is true, how come there is a program called "Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program" targeted at attracting investors to the country? Imo, it is the case when immigration is bought. Then, why not consider investing in the Canadian education as an investment in the country's economy?

n4mo

Feb 2, 2015
I read the petition, my counter arguments to some of your points:

- Our brains! An economy thrives when people create and innovate. Studies show that nearly half of innovative start-ups are founded by immigrants. However, in order to continue doing so, we need more than just a (hard-to-get) start-up visa.
You need to link those studies here (preferably, quote 2 or more), I'm not saying it is untrue, but unless you provide it you're just making things up. Regarding the startup visa, it isn't really the visa that's the problem but who will fund you (but venture capitalists are extremely selective anyway, so that's the hard part, not the visa)

- Your future. Much like in most Western countries, Canada's suffering from an aging population. We'd be your tax-payers of the future. So, don't throw us out just yet...
I fail to see your logic here; Unless you could show a study that Canada has negative growth population and immigrants will be taking up the slack, this statement is meaningless

- We have special skills. For dozens of years, immigrants have brought many benefits to Canadian businesses. Not only are we well-educated and hard-working, we also add a ton of value with our language skills. Many of us speak and write more than 5 (!) languages.
Plenty of people have special skills. Again, you'll need to provide a study that immigrants bring something else - otherwise your statement is too general and weak. Regarding your language statement, the immigration program of Canada does not focus on bringing in people of diverse languages (they only ask if you're fluent in English and/or French), so why bring this up?

- We create jobs. Immigrants found about 50% of new ventures. Down the line, this means that we don't just create our own job but many more. Look at Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver: the number of foreign business owners is immense!
This is almost similar to your first bullet point, which makes this statement repetitive. Better if you just merge them

- We have a Canadian education: most foreign post-graduates studied in Canada for 2 to 4 years.
Don't you guys already get extra points for having studied in Canada? So what else do you want?

- Most of us are single: International students will most probably be immigrating to Canada by themselves, thus neither burdening Canada by bringing in families nor using the health and education systems.
Relationship status is neither here nor there, and besides, in the off-chance that you get a PR or citizenship, who's to say you won't be sponsoring your family members in the future? Better to just take this out IMHO

---

I could go on, but I'm gonna stop there. In this issue you'll have to be specific and have proofs or examples to help you out. And I do think that you are all being too hasty coming up with a petition especially after only 1 draw.

Best of luck regardless of what happens..

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
n4mo said:
I could go on, but I'm gonna stop there. In this issue you'll have to be specific and have proofs or examples to help you out. And I do think that you are all being too hasty coming up with a petition especially after only 1 draw.

Best of luck regardless of what happens..
Oh, I'm so-so tired of this "after only 1 draw". Some of us have WPs that expire in 2-6 months!!! No one knows when the 2nd draw is going to take place!!! What are we supposed to do??? Have you ever moved permanently from one country to another? Do you know how much time and effort it takes? Do you know how much time and effort it takes to find a new job (in your home country)? So, before writing this stereotypical "after only 1 draw" try walk in the shoes of someone who's WP expires in say 3 month. Ok, Canada might not be interested in high-skilled PGWP holders, it's their country and it's up to them to choose the candidates they want. But I'd like to have more starightforward information on this.

n4mo

Feb 2, 2015
A.B.123 said:
Oh, I'm so-so tired of this "after only 1 draw". Some of us have WPs that expire in 2-6 months!!! No one knows when the 2nd draw is going to take place!!! What are we supposed to do??? Have you ever moved permanently from one country to another? Do you know how much time and effort it takes? Do you know how much time and effort it takes to find a new job (in your home country)? So, before writing this stereotypical "after only 1 draw" try walk in the shoes of someone who's WP expires in say 3 month. Ok, Canada might not be interested in high-skilled PGWP holders, it's their country and it's up to them to choose the candidates they want. But I'd like to have more starightforward information on this.
Yep, I studied in Australia for about a year back in 1995, went back home, then moved from the Philippines to the US - so I do know what it's like to move. My work visa is still valid here (until next year) but in the off-chance I don't get a renewal/extension I'm looking at other options now, before it's too late. So please, yours is not a unique situation.

You're correct that we don't know the date of the 2nd draw (or any of the succeeding draws for that matter), but CIC said that they will do 15-25 draws < cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-presentation-briefing.asp > for this year - so best case scenario is every other week or worst case every end of the month (with about 2-3 draws sandwiched in-between to make up).

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
n4mo said:
Yep, I studied in Australia for about a year back in 1995, went back home, then moved from the Philippines to the US - so I do know what it's like to move. My work visa is still valid here (until next year) but in the off-chance I don't get a renewal/extension I'm looking at other options now, before it's too late. So please, yours is not a unique situation.

You're correct that we don't know the date of the 2nd draw (or any of the succeeding draws for that matter), but CIC said that they will do 15-25 draws < cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-presentation-briefing.asp > for this year - so best case scenario is every other week or worst case every end of the month (with about 2-3 draws sandwiched in-between to make up).
ok, last year when my WP was still valid for a year I was not looking into other options cause the algorithm of getting PR under CEC was COMPLETELY different, and I was preparaing all the necessary documents. Now, when my WP expires in 3 months, I should work full time and I'm actually quite busy, I should find ways to get LMIA and get it fast (no I can't just ask my boss as some suggest, there is only me and my boss in my company, and I don't expect him to drop everything and deal with my problems ) and at the same time I should be looking for a job in my homecountry and plan going back home. And everything just piled up after the first draw. No, our situations are completely different.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, so some of us are facing leaving Canada in the near future due to the new immigration legislation, myself, I might go home in 3 months. So, I really want to get prepared for that and discuss some issues that might come into my way. There is tons of info and discussions on how to immigrate to Canada and settle in but I fail to find anything on moving out of Canada permanently. First thing that comes to mind is taxes. So, I started a new thread here, I think this might be useful for some PGWP holders:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/saying-goodbye-to-canada-tax-return-t269432.0.html