+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POST GRADUATE WORK PERMIT HELP

NTech_26

Nov 23, 2021
Hello, I have a unique situation and needed some help. I am graduating December 2021 from my program and I am an international student just to put that out there. My program has co-op, and I have completed all 6 of my semester as full time student except for semester 5 because I couldn't land a job for my final co-op term due to covid 19 causing a lack of jobs, which was supposed to be done during summer 2021. However my college applied a waiver and told me that my third co-op term is waived and I can still gradate from my program on time with the coop diploma. But my situation is I'm scared because in semester 5 I ended up taking 2 elective courses to get them out of the way and that was the only Semester I took anything below full time load.

Semester 1 Fall 2018- Full time
Semester 2 Winter 2019- Full time
Semester 3 fall 2019- full time
(Co-op term 1) Winter 2020- Full time
Semester 4 Summer 2020- Full time
(Co-op Term 2) Fall 2020 Full time
Semester 5 Winter 2021- Full time
Co-op term 3 which I didn't find a position Due to covid 19 Summer 2021- Part time, I took two courses 3 credits each so 6 total.
Semester 6 Fall 2021- Full time

Do you think I will be refused PGWP because of semester 5. But it wasnt under my control and Its not like I chose to take a break, you can see from my program outline that everything else was completed full time.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
You are allowed to be part time in your final semester anyways. Just get a letter from your school stating your co-op was waived and you did part time courses instead.

NTech_26

Nov 23, 2021
You are allowed to be part time in your final semester anyways. Just get a letter from your school stating your co-op was waived and you did part time courses instead.
It was not my last semester though, It was semester 5. I just noticed I didn't add semester 6 but I mentioned it. I am currently completing semester 6 which is also full time. My only worry is the coop work term 3 which was waived and instead I did two courses. Hope that clears it up.

Sb2021

Star Member
Oct 26, 2021
Hello, I have a unique situation and needed some help. I am graduating December 2021 from my program and I am an international student just to put that out there. My program has co-op, and I have completed all 6 of my semester as full time student except for semester 5 because I couldn't land a job for my final co-op term due to covid 19 causing a lack of jobs, which was supposed to be done during summer 2021. However my college applied a waiver and told me that my third co-op term is waived and I can still gradate from my program on time with the coop diploma. But my situation is I'm scared because in semester 5 I ended up taking 2 elective courses to get them out of the way and that was the only Semester I took anything below full time load.

Semester 1 Fall 2018- Full time
Semester 2 Winter 2019- Full time
Semester 3 fall 2019- full time
(Co-op term 1) Winter 2020- Full time
Semester 4 Summer 2020- Full time
(Co-op Term 2) Fall 2020 Full time
Semester 5 Winter 2021- Full time
Co-op term 3 which I didn't find a position Due to covid 19 Summer 2021- Part time, I took two courses 3 credits each so 6 total.
Semester 6 Fall 2021- Full time

Do you think I will be refused PGWP because of semester 5. But it wasnt under my control and Its not like I chose to take a break, you can see from my program outline that everything else was completed full time.

Thank you.
Summers are not scheduled breaks in your school? If yes, you're good. If no, as you said it was out of your hand, just write an explanation letter.

NTech_26

Nov 23, 2021
Summers are not scheduled breaks in your school? If yes, you're good. If no, as you said it was out of your hand, just write an explanation letter.
With the coop program I was supposed to have no scheduled break, but because I couldn't get a job at the hospital during the summer and I just ended up taking 2 elective courses which was just 6 credits total.

Reactions: Sb2021

Sb2021

Star Member
Oct 26, 2021
With the coop program I was supposed to have no scheduled break, but because I couldn't get a job at the hospital during the summer and I just ended up taking 2 elective courses which was just 6 credits total.
I don't think you're gonna have any problem. Since you became part time because of COVID. I think it is written on IRCC website something about this issue, check the website.

NTech_26

Nov 23, 2021
I don't think you're gonna have any problem. Since you became part time because of COVID. I think it is written on IRCC website something about this issue, check the website.
I hope you're correct. Thank you, If you have website link that would be great.

sid42

Dec 28, 2022
Hi NTech_26, was your PGWP approved?

I'm in a similar position as you wherein I could not find a co-op for Summer 2020 and was part-time that semester.