+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Experience

trackCEC

Jul 11, 2011
Hi there,
I completed a two years Master's program in Biology and applied for PGWE in 2009. For some reason, I was only given 2 years of open work permit until 2011, instead of 3 years. I know many who completed two year Master's program have got three years WP.
My work permit is expiring soon but I would like it to be extended. Is it worth explaining my situation and apply for PGWE again? Will I be granted one more year of work permit? Or is it waste of time and money?

Could someone answer my questions please?

(Note: Thanks Leon for your reply to my earlier post) [/size][/size][/size][/size]

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can definitely ask them why they only gave you two years and ask for your extra year. Otherwise your employer will have to apply for an LMO so you can apply for a regular work permit.

trackCEC

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks Leon.
Could you please guide me how and whom to contact? After I got my PGWR in 2009, I wanted to ask the same question why two years? When I tried contacting over the phone, the automated voice message says the call centre will not deal with any decision made al ready on the application.

Should I write to the following address explaining my situation?
Citizenship and Immigration -Work Permit
CPC-Vegreville
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 555
Vegreville AB T9C 1X6

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If that is the address where you applied for it, then yes. If they can issue them when you apply, surely they can deal with questions or at least bring them to the right people.

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
trackCEC said:
Hi there,
I completed a two years Master's program in Biology and applied for PGWE in 2009. For some reason, I was only given 2 years of open work permit until 2011, instead of 3 years. I know many who completed two year Master's program have got three years WP.
My work permit is expiring soon but I would like it to be extended. Is it worth explaining my situation and apply for PGWE again? Will I be granted one more year of work permit? Or is it waste of time and money?

(Note: Thanks Leon for your reply to my earlier post) [/size][/size][/size][/size]

That is so weird. Tell me one thing? When does your passport expires? If your passport cannot cover the additional one year period than your work permit would only be issued for the time your passport have its validity.

trackCEC

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks Leon.
For PGWE extension, should I actually place my application, or write to CPC-Vegreville explaining my situation and wait for an answer?

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
trackCEC said:
Thanks Leon.
For PGWE extension, should I actually place my application, or write to CPC-Vegreville explaining my situation and wait for an answer?
hey what happened with your situation? I am very curious to know..

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
Depends on where u live I guess. Somebody posted PGWP website and said if u are in Vancouber or Toronto u only get two years. Not 100% sure though laws are changing. Better check it out!

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
Pouce said:
Depends on where u live I guess. Somebody posted PGWP website and said if u are in Vancouber or Toronto u only get two years. Not 100% sure though laws are changing. Better check it out!
What if you are not in toronto or vancouver?

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
PGWP started in 2008 and we can easily get 3 years open work permit, but those immigration laws and visas rules change current economic and politic situation. best way is to phone CIC or VO. i phoned CIC when my 3 year PGWP expired and asked if i can extend. they said no more than 3 years. i think you are able to extend 1 more year if you aren't in Van or Tron. its worth trying. you should have a plan B if you cant extend.
anyways, earlier the better. good luck

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Pouce said:
PGWP started in 2008 and we can easily get 3 years open work permit, but those immigration laws and visas rules change current economic and politic situation. best way is to phone CIC or VO. i phoned CIC when my 3 year PGWP expired and asked if i can extend. they said no more than 3 years. i think you are able to extend 1 more year if you aren't in Van or Tron. its worth trying. you should have a plan B if you cant extend.
Look the 2 years PGWP for students in the 3 large cities went out the window years ago. It no longer applies.

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

Look the 2 years PGWP for students in the 3 large cities went out the window years ago. It no longer applies.

Thank god, atleast this time you are not saying that he will only get 16 month hahah, I guess you read you manual this time..

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
Pouce said:
Hey, I want to know how long you studied in Canada to get your 3 years work permit?can you tell me what was your plan b?

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
trackCEC said:
Hi there,

Any news on your case?