+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post COPR marriage??

sidi0091

Apr 14, 2022
Hi
I am planning to get married in November and my COPR is valid till December 2022. Can I inform IRCC in October to add my spouse in my COPR as well?? Or can they cancel my COPR as well??? I have not yet landed in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
I am planning to get married in November and my COPR is valid till December 2022. Can I inform IRCC in October to add my spouse in my COPR as well?? Or can they cancel my COPR as well??? I have not yet landed in Canada.
If you get married before you land, you have to notify IRCC and they will cancel your COPR. You'll then need to add your spouse to the application and wait for IRCC to process your spouse's information before you can be issued a new COPR. If you want to avoid this process, then you need to land and become a PR before you get married.

Reactions: sidi0091

vivekrai

Jun 7, 2019
Guys,

Can anyone help me with my issue? I got my Copr stamped in feb 2022. During this process, I got married in June. When I tried to update my marital status using a webform. I got the following response

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that it is not necessary to provide additional documentation if you do not currently have an application in process with IRCC.

Since a final decision was already made on your application, the information you provided will not be added to your file.

If applicable, we invite you to include this information when you submit a new application.

This led me to a couple of questions:

1) Can I do a soft landing without any issues as I have already updated IRCC with my marital status?

2) Can I sponsor my spouse as soon as I move to Canada?

What other options do I have?

Any help will be appreciated.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Guys,

Can anyone help me with my issue? I got my Copr stamped in feb 2022. During this process, I got married in June. When I tried to update my marital status using a webform. I got the following response

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that it is not necessary to provide additional documentation if you do not currently have an application in process with IRCC.

Since a final decision was already made on your application, the information you provided will not be added to your file.

If applicable, we invite you to include this information when you submit a new application.

This led me to a couple of questions:

1) Can I do a soft landing without any issues as I have already updated IRCC with my marital status?

2) Can I sponsor my spouse as soon as I move to Canada?

What other options do I have?

Any help will be appreciated.
YES to both 1 & 2. Only option is to sponsor your spouse since final decision has been made

vivekrai

Jun 7, 2019
YES to both 1 & 2. Only option is to sponsor your spouse since final decision has been made
I have raised another webform reiterating the same point that my marital status has changed. So, In the given scenario, Can I do soft landing and then carry on with sponsoring my spouse?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have raised another webform reiterating the same point that my marital status has changed. So, In the given scenario, Can I do soft landing and then carry on with sponsoring my spouse?
As i said, you updated them of your marital status but they wont reopen your application to include your spouse. Do soft landing, and sponsor your spouse as another new application