+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible status in Canada while waiting for PR?

ssparkles

Apr 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 4, 2012
Doc's Request.
Nov 8, 2012 & March 19, 2013
AOR Received.
Oct 25, 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
Mar 19, 2013
Med's Done....
March 22 & received by CIC on April 10, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013, sent out passport same day.
VISA ISSUED...
May 21, 2013
LANDED..........
May 22, 2013
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this :

I am currently on an extended status as a visitor (applied in May 2012 and expiring on Dec 31st 2012). I had originally applied for this when I was waiting for my AOR/PR when I first applied for PR in Oct 2011. Now I re-applied for my PR in June 2012.

So if I get my AOR hopefully soon, its still uncertain I'll get my PR by Dec 31st 2012. Should I apply to extend my status as a visitor again based on my 2nd PR application? Is it likely that I will get it?

I've just been looking for jobs since my Post graduate work permit expired in May 2012 and don't have much activity to show other than the fact I've been looking for jobs that provide an LMO (its not easy). Will this effect any application I make to extend status as a visitor?

Upon getting my AOR is there any other category under which I can stay or work until I get my PR? Any advice will help. Thanks!

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
The best bet would be to go ahead and extend your visitor visa. The processing time of PR varies between applications and therefore, better mitigate the risk.

Nyenyezi87

Oct 2, 2012
Hi,

I have some questions about the visitors visa that you applied for. Are you allowed to leave the country and come back with that visa?

I am getting married in December, in Nigeria and my work permit is expiring in 2 weeks, but I have not received a letter indicating that I should go to do my Medicals ( I applied for my PR in June 2012). What do you suggest I do?

ssparkles

Apr 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 4, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct 25, 2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Mar 19, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
May 21, 2013
LANDED..........
May 22, 2013
Andy2109 said:
The best bet would be to go ahead and extend your visitor visa. The processing time of PR varies between applications and therefore, better mitigate the risk.
Thanks Andy. Seems like I have to apply to extend my status as a visitor. I'm thinking of applying mid Oct-end of October. (my status expires on Dec 31st) so I think applying 2 months in advance should work.

ssparkles

Apr 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 4, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct 25, 2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Mar 19, 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
May 21, 2013
LANDED..........
May 22, 2013
Nyenyezi87 said:
Hi,

I have some questions about the visitors visa that you applied for. Are you allowed to leave the country and come back with that visa?

I am getting married in December, in Nigeria and my work permit is expiring in 2 weeks, but I have not received a letter indicating that I should go to do my Medicals ( I applied for my PR in June 2012). What do you suggest I do?
Hi Nyenyezi87,

Well there are 2 things involved here. To 'extend your status as a visitor' is a status for you to stay in Canada, Just like when you have a work permit or a study permit. I had to apply for this once my work permit expired so that I could stay and maintain a status while waiting for my PR. I suggest you apply for this as well if you have no other option such as Study (study permit) or work (getting a work permit with an LMO)

If you want to leave and come back you have to separately apply for a 'temporary resident visa' after you extend your status as a visitor. June applicants should get their AOR soon but even then its unlikely that you will get PR all done by december 31st. So I would apply to extend status as a visitor asap and then get the temporary resident visa so that you can leave and come back.

If by any chance you do get your PR before December 31st that is simply a WOW factor.... but incase you don't you'll have got your papers all sorted as these take time and you cannot get it last minute. Hope this was helpful.

IrishinCanada

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2012
AOR Received.
21-08-2012
IELTS Request
IELTS Completed
Med's Request
01-05-2013
Med's Done....
07-05-2013 (Uploaded 21-05-2013)
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
COPR received on 7th June 2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28-06-2013
Does anyone know that if a person is in their Restoration of Status period, can they pop down to the USA and come back and get a visitors visa? Instead of applying online and paying the additional fees?

Nyenyezi87

Oct 2, 2012
ssparkles said:
Hi Nyenyezi87,

Well there are 2 things involved here. To 'extend your status as a visitor' is a status for you to stay in Canada, Just like when you have a work permit or a study permit. I had to apply for this once my work permit expired so that I could stay and maintain a status while waiting for my PR. I suggest you apply for this as well if you have no other option such as Study (study permit) or work (getting a work permit with an LMO)

If you want to leave and come back you have to separately apply for a 'temporary resident visa' after you extend your status as a visitor. June applicants should get their AOR soon but even then its unlikely that you will get PR all done by december 31st. So I would apply to extend status as a visitor asap and then get the temporary resident visa so that you can leave and come back.

If by any chance you do get your PR before December 31st that is simply a WOW factor.... but incase you don't you'll have got your papers all sorted as these take time and you cannot get it last minute. Hope this was helpful.

Thanks Sparkles that was very helpful.
Well my work applied for an LMO about 2 months ago, still havent gotten a response. So I sent in my application for my work permit without it, explaining the situation and sending them a confirmation e-mail that the LMO was filed. in the meantime i also applied for a temporary resident visa last week. So Im doing the waiting game.
I got an e-mail from CPP-Ottawa saying they got my package in June but since then Ih avent seen anything, and I cant log on to ECAS to see any status updates. Its nerve wracking.

yosemite

Jul 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 1, 2012
AOR Received.
November 13, 2012
Med's Request
March 29, 2013, RPRF and BIODATA request - April 2, 2013
Med's Done....
April 8, 2013 Recd by CPP-O on April 22, 2013, Ecas updated to meds recd on April 30, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 14, 2013 ( Ecas showed DM on May 5, 2013),PP reached CPPO on May 17 and returned on June 14, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
June 3, 2013
LANDED..........
June 22, 2013
Nyenyezi87 said:
Thanks Sparkles that was very helpful.
Well my work applied for an LMO about 2 months ago, still havent gotten a response. So I sent in my application for my work permit without it, explaining the situation and sending them a confirmation e-mail that the LMO was filed. in the meantime i also applied for a temporary resident visa last week. So Im doing the waiting game.
I got an e-mail from CPP-Ottawa saying they got my package in June but since then Ih avent seen anything, and I cant log on to ECAS to see any status updates. Its nerve wracking.
Hi..can you let me know what date you filed ur application in June? and also the date you got an email from CPP-Ottawa informing you of ur file number? Would appreciate your response as quite a few June applicants are waiting for an email from CPP-O. Thanks !

Nyenyezi87

Oct 2, 2012
yosemite said:
Hi..can you let me know what date you filed ur application in June? and also the date you got an email from CPP-Ottawa informing you of ur file number? Would appreciate your response as quite a few June applicants are waiting for an email from CPP-O. Thanks !
They received my application June 4th, but they didnt give me a file number, they just told me that they received it and would let me know what the next steps are.
I noticed in the forum that August applicants are getting AORs... its weird.

yosemite

Jul 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 1, 2012
AOR Received.
November 13, 2012
Med's Request
March 29, 2013, RPRF and BIODATA request - April 2, 2013
Med's Done....
April 8, 2013 Recd by CPP-O on April 22, 2013, Ecas updated to meds recd on April 30, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 14, 2013 ( Ecas showed DM on May 5, 2013),PP reached CPPO on May 17 and returned on June 14, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
June 3, 2013
LANDED..........
June 22, 2013
Nyenyezi87 said:
They received my application June 4th, but they didnt give me a file number, they just told me that they received it and would let me know what the next steps are.
I noticed in the forum that August applicants are getting AORs... its weird.
Was this email you recd from CPP-O in response to your email query to them?

From mid june, there was a change in process and they started issuing AORs from CIO, Sydney...so anyone who applied after June 15 has already received their AORs from Sydney. Everyone who applied before June 15th got AORs from CPP-O. There are still some May applicants waiting for AOR from Ottawa...and almost all the applicants who applied before June 15 are also waiting....so dont worry ur AOR should be coming in soon...if u look at the May thread...one applicant who applied on May 28th..got his AOR today.

Peter11

Star Member
Sep 27, 2012
Canada, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2012
Doc's Request.
April 2012
Nomination.....
October 2012
AOR Received.
09 November 2012
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
22 November 2012
Med's Request
12 February 2013
Med's Done....
23 February 2013; In Process : 16 April,2013; RRPF paid : 23 Arpil,2013.
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
23July,2013
VISA ISSUED...
31July,2013
LANDED..........
31July,2013
Hello,
Can you tell me if your Work Permit is expiring, On what basis you can apply for the Visitor Visa? Do i need a letter from my relative or i simply say in my forms that i want to visit Canada?

PLease let me know what should i state in my Forms while applying for Visitors visa.

Peter

Nyenyezi87

Oct 2, 2012
yosemite said:
Was this email you recd from CPP-O in response to your email query to them?

From mid june, there was a change in process and they started issuing AORs from CIO, Sydney...so anyone who applied after June 15 has already received their AORs from Sydney. Everyone who applied before June 15th got AORs from CPP-O. There are still some May applicants waiting for AOR from Ottawa...and almost all the applicants who applied before June 15 are also waiting....so dont worry ur AOR should be coming in soon...if u look at the May thread...one applicant who applied on May 28th..got his AOR today.
Thanks Yosemite for the encouragement. Yes I got the response from cpp-o.

mmara

Oct 17, 2012
Hi,

I have the exact same situation. I have been under a Work Permit (Intra-Company Transferee) since 2010 and my work permit is about to expire in December 12, 2012. The company that I'm working for right now will be closing operations in Canada and I have no way to get a permit renewal

I have been looking for a new job but It seems difficult to get the LMO, specially when you are a Systems Engineer like me.

Does anyone know what other options I might have to stay in Canada legally while I wait to get my PR?. I have applied under CEC and already got AOR

Thanks

IrishinCanada

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2012
AOR Received.
21-08-2012
IELTS Request
IELTS Completed
Med's Request
01-05-2013
Med's Done....
07-05-2013 (Uploaded 21-05-2013)
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28-06-2013
mmara said:
Hi,

I have the exact same situation. I have been under a Work Permit (Intra-Company Transferee) since 2010 and my work permit is about to expire in December 12, 2012. The company that I'm working for right now will be closing operations in Canada and I have no way to get a permit renewal

I have been looking for a new job but It seems difficult to get the LMO, specially when you are a Systems Engineer like me.

Does anyone know what other options I might have to stay in Canada legally while I wait to get my PR?. I have applied under CEC and already got AOR

Thanks
I'm possibly in the same situation, curious to see the answers from members....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can try to change your status to that of a tourist. If approved, this will allow you to remain in Canada as a visitor (however you won't be allowed to work).