+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possibility of getting a student permit

Brixifresh

Feb 27, 2017
Hello to you reading.
I graduated with bachelor's of Engineering in petroleum engineering from China University of Petroleum (Huadong) last year in summer i.e. June 2016. Thereafter iver been working as a human resource manager in a Chinese construction company in Tanzania (about half a year now). I wish to pursue masters in Engineering manager at the university of Ottawa. My IELTS scores has an overall band score of 7.5 and least 5.5.
Is it possible that I don't get a study permit because of a change in my field of studies? Although I think The masters program in engineering management which I wish to take is related to what I studied because I want to study how to manage an engineering project. Waiting on your suggestions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would re-write IELTS to score at least 6.5 in each of the four categories. When applying for a Masters, CIC typically wants to see scores at this level to approve the study permit. I think having scores at 5.5 will probably guarantee refusal.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
I would re-write IELTS to score at least 6.5 in each of the four categories. When applying for a Masters, CIC typically wants to see scores at this level to approve the study permit. I think having scores at 5.5 will probably guarantee refusal.
1. No, the language requirements for the OP's program are as follows"

Proof of proficiency in your program's language of instruction, in the case of applicants whose first language is neither English nor French
Language proficiency test scores equivalencies:

TOEFL 550 / IELTS Overall 6.5 - Individual 5.0 (Paper-based)
TOEFL 79-80 / IELTS Overall 6.5 - Individual 5.0 (Internet-based)

2. S/he should note that it is too late to apply for the fall semester.

jo0503

Aug 27, 2016
NOAH1397 said:
Hi,i got my offer letter from niagara college on business general diploma course . i have a gap of one year and i did engineering course during that time. i am in a dillema in giving my study visa through spp or general . i have low marks in my 12th grade for maths ie 41 , IELTS overall is 7.5 ie 8.5 listening , 7.5 reading , 6.5 speaking , 6.5 writting. will i have any problem if i give it through spp . i have got the offer letter for may 2017 intake . please help me . thank you for reading
Hey,

Plz explain your complete educational background so that people in this forum can provide you with some guidance

NOAH1397

Feb 28, 2017
jo0503 said:
Hey,

Plz explain your complete educational background so that people in this forum can provide you with some guidance
I am from India , i completed my 10th grade from a cbse school with 7.6 cgpa. completed 12th from the same school. i have only 41 marks for maths. ielts 7.5 overall,8.5 listening,7.5 reading,6.5 speaking,6.5 writting. Going for business general diploma course of 2 years in niagara college canada. intake-may 2017. i have one year gap which i joined for enggineering course and dropped it during 2016. i dont know whether using the spp is a good idea because of my low marks in 12th and if i take general way i dont know the duration and i need it in mid april 2017 . hope i wrote enough , thank you for reading .:)

jo0503

Aug 27, 2016
NOAH1397 said:
I am from India , i completed my 10th grade from a cbse school with 7.6 cgpa. completed 12th from the same school. i have only 41 marks for maths. ielts 7.5 overall,8.5 listening,7.5 reading,6.5 speaking,6.5 writting. Going for business general diploma course of 2 years in niagara college canada. intake-may 2017. i have one year gap which i joined for enggineering course and dropped it during 2016. i dont know whether using the spp is a good idea because of my low marks in 12th and if i take general way i dont know the duration and i need it in mid april 2017 . hope i wrote enough , thank you for reading .:)
Hey.

Considering the factors like
1. grade in 12th
2. Your study gap ( as u discontinued the selected course in India )

I personally feel that ,

1. You should take expert advice form a well established/well experienced education consultancy before you apply in SPP category ( considering the fact that in SPP category several factors are thoroughly checked)
2. Which ever category you apply , make sure you write a strong SOP ( most important document in VISA submission process : take good advice from experienced education consultant )

Good Luck !!

I hope others in this forum would also put their opinions

NOAH1397

Feb 28, 2017
jo0503 said:
Hey.

Considering the factors like
1. grade in 12th
2. Your study gap ( as u discontinued the selected course in India )

I personally feel that ,

1. You should take expert advice form a well established/well experienced education consultancy before you apply in SPP category ( considering the fact that in SPP category several factors are thoroughly checked)
2. Which ever category you apply , make sure you write a strong SOP ( most important document in VISA submission process : take good advice from experienced education consultant )

Good Luck !!

I hope others in this forum would also put their opinions
Thank you for the advice , applied for the visa on 9th march , i still have a doubt do i need to have the transfer certificate or conduct certificate because I gave it to the college and can't get it back and it is showing processing at the visa office in bangalore when I track the passport what does it mean ?.thank you for reading and Thank you for the advice . :)

rajinder890

Feb 8, 2017
dear sir,

my profile is here below:-

i have done 10 th from cbse with 61 % in 2009
than 3 years diploma in mech. eng. with 71% in 2012
i am working in relevant field from 2012 to till present.
its now 4 and half year almost

i am going to apply for student visa in spp program for sept. intake in power technology engineer from medicine hat college.

my ilets score is 6.0 overall not less than 5.5.

what is the visa chances please advise?

EdmontonDreamer

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi Embassy
App. Filed.......
01-07-2018
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2018
LANDED..........
01-09-2018
i got Letter of Acceptance from Lethbridge College for administrative office professional certificate program (1yr). i was exempted from ielts as i completed my 12th in english medium and gave all my exams in english. for that i showed a letter from my school stating the above evidence. so i dont have ielts. i appeared for BA degree final exam this year but the result is still not out. i got admission at Lethbridge College on the basis of 12th result and studying 12th in english.Now i will apply for study visa in non-spp (general) category via online.What are my chances of getting approved? will my previous education be relevant to my course?
my profile is as follows:
CBSE 10th= 7.6 CGPA
WBCHSE(West Bengal board)= 56.2% with English marks=71/100
have sufficient funds required.
no relative in canada.
never travelled to any foreign country.
was studying BA degree initially with English hons. but switched to general in final year. 1 paper backlog, but has been cleared. completing 3 yr degree in 4 yrs. done certificate in computer applications (CCA) 6 month course, while doing BA.
Have all documents except ielts, but will fill waiver form.

-EdmontonDreamer

NOAH1397

Feb 28, 2017
NOAH1397 said:
Thank you for the advice , applied for the visa on 9th march , i still have a doubt do i need to have the transfer certificate or conduct certificate because I gave it to the college and can't get it back and it is showing processing at the visa office in bangalore when I track the passport what does it mean ?.thank you for reading and Thank you for the advice . :)
Hello everybody, thank you for your inputs once again. I got my visA on 29th march ie today . thank you :D

Wananchi

May 30, 2017
Hello to you reading.
I graduated with bachelor's of Engineering in petroleum engineering from China University of Petroleum (Huadong) last year in summer i.e. June 2016. Thereafter iver been working as a human resource manager in a Chinese construction company in Tanzania (about half a year now). I wish to pursue masters in Engineering manager at the university of Ottawa. My IELTS scores has an overall band score of 7.5 and least 5.5.
Is it possible that I don't get a study permit because of a change in my field of studies? Although I think The masters program in engineering management which I wish to take is related to what I studied because I want to study how to manage an engineering project. Waiting on your suggestions.
I think engineering management is still in line with petroleum engineering. Maybe raise your IELTS scores, to a minimum of 7.5 in each band. Otherwise, provided you have all other requirements, you'll stand a good chance.