+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate: When to apply exactly? Confused...

ytang

Jan 24, 2016
Hey guys,

I am currently preparing my documents to create a profile in Express Entry Pool.

Through reading a lot of information online, I am aware that I would need to prepare some documents before hand to prepare for the "Invitation to Apply" letter. One of them being the Police Certificate.

Question 1: it says, CIC asks for a police record for every country that we have lived in for 6 months or more continuously after we turn 18. Did I read this correctly? I have lived in 5 different countries from when I was 18 (both for work and study) until now. All of the them are more than 6 months. I am supposed to get a Police Certificate from ALL FIVE COUNTRIES? :eek:

Question 2:
When do we take care of the Police Record?
From CIC (I can't post the link, for some reasons, I am not allowed to post links on this page)
"You will have to include copies of all documents we ask you for, like police certificates, before we will process your application. To keep your application from being rejected, you may want to get some of these documents ready while you are in the Express Entry pool."

>>> Police Certificate is submitted WHEN we receive the 'Invitation to Apply'. But it is recommended that we get it prepared BEFORE we receive ITA, a.k.a. when we are in the Express Entry Pool.

BUT... From another link:
"Do I need to provide a Police Certificate for Express Entry?
Yes, but only after you submit your application. When you apply for permanent residence, you will be asked to upload a police certificate. Instead, you must upload a document that states: “I am applying from a country that requires an official request letter from CIC to get a police certificate.” CIC will then review your application. If it is otherwise complete, we will send you more information on how to get a police certificate."

>>>> It sounds like the Police Certificate can only be requested AFTER we receive the Invitation to Apply.

I am confused... can someone help to advise please?

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to provide Police Certificates for all countries you have lived in after the age of 18. You must have lived in the country for 6 months or more. There is no way around this. Order the Police Certificates straight away.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends on the country involved - some countries will issue PCC only after receiving a letter from CIC while others don't have any such requirement.

Another factor to be considered is that PCC for your current country of residence is valid for 6 months from date of issue. PCC from any other country is valid indefinitely until you go back and live in that country again.

ytang

Jan 24, 2016
Thanks guys for your replies!

Yes, I noticed that for some countries, I just need to get it from the police. While the others need the letter from CIC to issue a PCC.

Ashdeep

Jul 19, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys, I am confused regarding this, I came to Canada in December 2012 to study from India and I visited India in November 2015 after that for two weeks. So for what kind of police certificate I have to get ready if I get ITA.
Thank you.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ashdeep said:
Hello guys, I am confused regarding this, I came to Canada in December 2012 to study from India and I visited India in November 2015 after that for two weeks. So for what kind of police certificate I have to get ready if I get ITA.
Thank you.
If those are the only 2 countries involved, you'll need a PCC from India issued after you last lived in the country. You won't need an RCMP certificate upfront for Canada - CIC will tell you if and when you need to get that.

India PCC ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/india.asp

Ashdeep

Jul 19, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Asivad, do I need to get pcc from india too as I went there for two weeks in November 2015.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ashdeep said:
Thanks Asivad, do I need to get pcc from india too as I went there for two weeks in November 2015.
Assuming you've lived in India for 6 months in a row after turning 18, Yes.

Ashdeep

Jul 19, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok thank you so much, I will try to get these things as soon as possible when cic will ask.

daomingli

Jan 25, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
If those are the only 2 countries involved, you'll need a PCC from India issued after you last lived in the country. You won't need an RCMP certificate upfront for Canada - CIC will tell you if and when you need to get that.
I got Invited and just submitted a police certificate from my home country, I know CIC says they will let me know if I need a Canadian police certificate, but I went to get one anyways, just wondering, will this make the procedure faster!?? That when they need to see it? I already have the report to upload? Does it even work if I get it done before they even ask? Will it still be valid?

merc0139

Jan 6, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
Check the country specific requirements from the below link to determine if CIC will ask for the PCC or you have to submit it upfront.
I lived in Canada from 2013 to 2014. And have moved back to my home country since end of 2014. Do I need a PCC from Canadian police? I'll be applying for my PR from my home country.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
daomingli said:
I got Invited and just submitted a police certificate from my home country, I know CIC says they will let me know if I need a Canadian police certificate, but I went to get one anyways, just wondering, will this make the procedure faster!?? That when they need to see it? I already have the report to upload? Does it even work if I get it done before they even ask? Will it still be valid?
Try and not do things before they are due. You might waste money and effort if you're asked to repeat the exercise. CIC explicitly asks applicants to NOT submit an RCMP report upfront - they don't need it from everyone - they only need it from applicants whose name matches or is similar to known offenders/criminals. Most Canada-based applicants are not asked for the report.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
merc0139 said:
I lived in Canada from 2013 to 2014. And have moved back to my home country since end of 2014. Do I need a PCC from Canadian police? I'll be applying for my PR from my home country.
No.

Apply and obtain an RCMP report only if and when asked for it.