+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate: When to apply exactly? Confused...

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
Jameszhaoh said:
Hi Asivad, thanks for your always helpful replies. Quick question:

After I turned 18 years old, the total days I have lived in China is 164 days, which is about 5.5 months. And I'm preparing a PCC from China's police. Do you think it's a smart move or unnecessary? Thanks again.
If your stay is less than 6 months you do not need PCC for that country.

Caesarpy

Star Member
Sep 12, 2016
Wolverine17 said:
I mean if i got pcc stayed for a few days in my home country and then left and submitted my pcc in less than 3 months of its issue date will it be ok
I think that will be OK. Since in your case, the PCC will be valid for six months since it's issued. Following is the statement from IRCC's website:

"are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

omar_ahmed21

Nov 22, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Depends on the country involved - some countries will issue PCC only after receiving a letter from CIC while others don't have any such requirement.

Another factor to be considered is that PCC for your current country of residence is valid for 6 months from date of issue. PCC from any other country is valid indefinitely until you go back and live in that country again.
From what I understand, you are saying that some countries you don't have to provide PCC to CIC ! In my case I lived in Yemen all my life before I came to Canada.

I'm trying to gather all the documents needed now for my application after I receive the ITA.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Caesarpy said:
I think that will be OK. Since in your case, the PCC will be valid for six months since it's issued. Following is the statement from IRCC's website:

"are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp
Ok thanks just to be sure the same applies to both the country of residency and home country right?

Minx

Star Member
Oct 14, 2016
Hi all,
Thanks so much for being so helpful with your advice on the PC.
I'd like to clarify something.

1. My understanding of obtaining a police certificate is that I would need to apply for one from the country I was in for more than 6 months CONTINUOUSLY i.e. 180 days
with no departure or exiting or borders to elsewhere. Is this assumption correct?

2. I have tried to look through all my old passports for the stamps (before e-passports were issued) as I have lived/visited/interned in the US and Australia for between 2 weeks to
5 months on and off since 2001/2. My last trip to the US in 2015 I was there for 3 months (I think!) and I read a comment on here saying that
"collectively you must add up ALL your trips to x country after the age of 18 that will be more than 6 months". You will then need to apply for a PC. This doesnt make sense to me?

I lived in the UK for a year for my Masters so Im only asking for a PC from ACRO.

Can someone confirm that 1 is the correct understanding vs 2?

Much appreciated all thank you.

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Minx said:
Hi all,
Thanks so much for being so helpful with your advice on the PC.
I'd like to clarify something.

1. My understanding of obtaining a police certificate is that I would need to apply for one from the country I was in for more than 6 months CONTINUOUSLY i.e. 180 days
with no departure or exiting or borders to elsewhere. Is this assumption correct?

2. I have tried to look through all my old passports for the stamps (before e-passports were issued) as I have lived/visited/interned in the US and Australia for between 2 weeks to
5 months on and off since 2001/2. My last trip to the US in 2015 I was there for 3 months (I think!) and I read a comment on here saying that
"collectively you must add up ALL your trips to x country after the age of 18 that will be more than 6 months". You will then need to apply for a PC. This doesnt make sense to me?

I lived in the UK for a year for my Masters so Im only asking for a PC from ACRO.

Can someone confirm that 1 is the correct understanding vs 2?

Much appreciated all thank you.
if your cumulative stay in a particular country is 6 month or more (after you turned 18) then you have to get the PCC from that country. Get the PCCs from all the required countries ( don't visit these countries till you submit your application). Get PCC from the country of current residence after you get ITA.

Minx

Star Member
Oct 14, 2016
vishalg said:
if your cumulative stay in a particular country is 6 month or more (after you turned 18) then you have to get the PCC from that country. Get the PCCs from all the required countries ( don't visit these countries till you submit your application). Get PCC from the country of current residence after you get ITA.
Thanks VishalG for responding and feedback.

But that doesn't make sense to me - sorry are you saying if I stayed in the US 3 months in 2002 then 2 weeks in 2007 then 3 months in 2015 I ADD these durations up to = 6 months 2 weeks so I need to get a PCC from the FBI?

I have a similar travel pattern for Australia as well. Pockets of time visiting the country since 1999 that may or may not add up to 6 months or more.

Appreciate yr final thoughts on my question above thanks.

I also won't be visiting any ATM but thanks.

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Minx said:
Thanks VishalG for responding and feedback.

But that doesn't make sense to me - sorry are you saying if I stayed in the US 3 months in 2002 then 2 weeks in 2007 then 3 months in 2015 I ADD these durations up to = 6 months 2 weeks so I need to get a PCC from the FBI?

I have a similar travel pattern for Australia as well. Pockets of time visiting the country since 1999 that may or may not add up to 6 months or more.

Appreciate yr final thoughts on my question above thanks.

I also won't be visiting any ATM but thanks.
yes, if all those travels are after you turned 18 and they are equal or beyond 180 days then you have to get the PCC from that country

Minx

Star Member
Oct 14, 2016
Omg that's monumental then. I have to get 4 PCCs then if that's the case.
- US
- Australia
- UK
- Home Country

Given time frame of waiting for security checks I believe we are able to
inform CIC that PCC has been applied for but no update at time of submission of EE?

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Minx said:
Omg that's monumental then. I have to get 4 PCCs then if that's the case.
- US
- Australia
- UK
- Home Country

Given time frame of waiting for security checks I believe we are able to
inform CIC that PCC has been applied for but no update at time of submission of EE?
I am afraid you have to, if you do not receive PCC in time then you can upload payment receipt and any other relevant documents. Also, if you have stayed in Australia then you have to provide some other document also (something related to traffic or something...You have to find out)

Minx

Star Member
Oct 14, 2016
Ugh yes so I'm reading now. Thankfully a majority of my stays were in
Western Australia. I must write to the Australian police and ask if I've only stayed a week 2 weeks
in Queensland and 3/4 days in Victoria would I still be required to get the traffic checked?

cecfile

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
After 18 age, I lived in India for 4 years then moved to Canada for 4 years and stayed for 3 days in America. Currently living in India

I have got a police clearance certificate from India and for Canada and America, I don't require as per CIC instructions then Why it say Police Certificates (Multiple) (required) in my profile. why I require multiple?

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
cecfile said:
After 18 age, I lived in India for 4 years then moved to Canada for 4 years and stayed for 3 days in America. Currently living in India

I have got a police clearance certificate from India and for Canada and America, I don't require as per CIC instructions then Why it say Police Certificates (Multiple) (required) in my profile. why I require multiple?
it is a generic statement ( may or may not be applicable to you)
Also, they might ask you to provide Canadian PCC after you submit your application.