+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate translation - certified copy or original? Help!

Mar 28, 2017
Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone could help me make sense of the instructions given on my express entry profile and the instructions given on the government website.

The instructions given to me via my express entry profile after I received my ItA were:

Police certificates need to be a scan of the original police certificate(s) in color. Certified true copies, unauthorized copies, or visibly altered police certificates are unacceptable and will result in the application being rejected as incomplete.​

However, I found information on the Express Entry page for how to submit your application (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp) which says:

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator.
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document.
And finally, on the government immigration page on how to get a police certificate (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp), it says the following:

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send the police certificate along with a translation done by a certified translator... Police certificates must be a scan of the original certificate(s) in colour. Certified true copies or unauthorized copies will not be accepted and will result in your application being rejected.
So my question is whether I should provide a certified true copy of the police certificate which I have in another language or not! If anyone can help me to understand what they want, I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Mar 28, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this doesn't make sense! The only difference I can think of is that the instructions for the first one assume that the certificate is in English or French, the second one applies to all documents you might need to provide for express entry (not just the police certificate), and the third one applies specifically to police certificates for all of immigration and citizenship.

Even so, it is still not clear which instructions to follow as in my case this is both a document I need to prove for express entry AND a police certificate for immigration and citizenship, so it is both the second and third case stated above, which have opposite instructions.

If anyone has personally had to provide a translation of a police certificate for express entry and/or knows what to do, I would really appreciate the help!

johnE

Apr 24, 2017
@eng.ahamdi
But with express entry I'm submitting everything online and they only want a "scan of the original police certificate(s) in color". So how I understand it I don't have to have the original as long as the scan was made from the original (which resides in another country and would need to be sent per post).

Up till now they didn't ask me to send (per post) a certified photocopy.

Mar 28, 2017
If anyone is interested, I was recommended www.docsbase.ca, a translation company in Toronto, and their service was great. They provided me with a translation of the original, a certified true copy and affidavit for just 54 CAD (and I had two different certificates to translate). I haven't submitted my application yet but it should be okay.

aralizadegan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Hi guys

Please help guys. This is urgent. I am given 7 day deadline!

I submitted my application on 27 April 2018 and today (03 May 2018) I have received a request for replacement document for my police certificate from Iran. I originally had put 3 documents in a pdf file as they instructed:

document 1: color scan of original police certificate
document 2: translation and affidavi
document 3: a photocopy certified by the translator. The photocopy was black and white but the certification stamps were in color

The message they sent me says this:

Police Certificate: Our records indicate you have uploaded an altered copy of the Police
Certificate from IRAN. Please provide an original, unaltered scan of the Police Certificate from
IRAN.

I already had the original color scan in the file uploaded. What do you think I should do?

Last edited:

canada&back

Dec 20, 2018
Hi guys

I submitted my application on 27 April 2018 and today (03 May 2018) I have received a request for replacement document for my police certificate from Iran. I originally had put 3 documents in a pdf file as they instructed:

document 3: a photocopy certified by the translator. The photocopy was black and white but the certification stamps were in color

Police Certificate: Our records indicate you have uploaded an altered copy of the Police
Certificate from IRAN. Please provide an original, unaltered scan of the Police Certificate from
IRAN.

I already had the original color scan in the file uploaded. What do you think I should do?
Hi @aralizadegan , That's confusing. How did you deal with this?

Dec 21, 2019
Hi guys

IRAN.

Any one know the answer to this question????