+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

police certificate from India and other questions

beowulfkid

Feb 22, 2009
Hello gurus,
I live in the US (H1B holder). I applied for AINP (in Feb last week) and making preparations for FBI / police reports from USA and India. My questions are:
1) Do I contact Indian Embassy for police certificate from India ? If yes, pl advise on whom and how to contact ?
2) When is the right time to start making preparations for police/medical certificates ? It says police certs are valid for only 3 months but FBI report takes somewhere between 14-16 weeks (as per CIC website). Pl share your experiences with time line and process regarding police / medical certificates.
3) After I get my PR, how long would I have (time) to collect my PR ?
4) After collecting PR, how long can I stay outside canada without loosing my PR ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2. FBI certificate takes about a month if you order it through the mail
3. Once you get the PR visa, it's normally valid for a year after you did your medical so depends on how soon you get visa after medical. Usually you have at least 6 more or more to go land in Canada.
4. After you land as a PR, you can be outside Canada for up to 1095 days in any 5 year period.

beowulfkid

Feb 22, 2009
Thanks Leon. Your answers are helpful.
Lets say my medical records expire by the time I want to collect my PR. Will I have option to submit new medical records and then collect my PR ? or do I forfeit my PR because I did not collect it before my medical records expired ? Pl advise.

Other gurus - pl advise on how to go about getting police certificate from indian embassy (I live in the US). Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will give you a date when you get the PR visa. If you do not land before this date, the visa will not be valid anymore and you will have to apply again.

mrs.aa

Mar 7, 2009
Dear All

I sent my my AINP application reached Edmonton on 10th March ie yesterday. I had just the same questions that beowulfkid had. I heard that getting police certificate from usa/uk is easier. Can you please give my idea ??

1. I lived in London for 3 years. Hence have to get letter from uk police. Can I start processing this immediately?? Should the date on letter be a latest one ??? Because, I anyway left UK about 2 years ago. I didnot go back. Which means I have to get clearance for the time period I lived there.

2. I have no idea how to get this letter done from India. I heard this is pain in the butt especially when you cant get it in person. Can any body who had to go thro this process of getting police clearance from India help us out. Pllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzz

vsrao

Mar 10, 2009
Visa Office......
Buffalo
mrs.aa said:
Dear All

I sent my my AINP application reached Edmonton on 10th March ie yesterday. I had just the same questions that beowulfkid had. I heard that getting police certificate from usa/uk is easier. Can you please give my idea ??

1. I lived in London for 3 years. Hence have to get letter from uk police. Can I start processing this immediately?? Should the date on letter be a latest one ??? Because, I anyway left UK about 2 years ago. I didnot go back. Which means I have to get clearance for the time period I lived there.

2. I have no idea how to get this letter done from India. I heard this is pain in the butt especially when you cant get it in person. Can any body who had to go thro this process of getting police clearance from India help us out. Pllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Check the below link
http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/consultates.asp

chow

Sep 23, 2008
mrs.aa said:
Dear All.

Wait for some more time to apply for these PCCs. I also got a PCC from Europe, you will get quickly. Not like Indian Consulates.

I sent my passport and along with completed form. It took 14-16days total from mailing and receiving back your passport with USPS express mail. I applied 2 times and took the same time

beowulfkid

Feb 22, 2009
I live in NC and none of the consulates (NYC, san fransisco, chicago, houston) has NC listed in the states they serve. What do I do now ? I want to know what forms am I supposed to fill out to get police certificate ? You said "I sent my passport and along with completed form. It took 14-16days total from mailing and receiving back your passport with USPS express mail. I applied 2 times and took the same time"
Am i supposed to send my original passport to get this police certificate ? Does not look that way..but pl confirm what all docs did you send ? Thanks.

chow

Sep 23, 2008
beowulfkid said:
I live in NC and none of the consulates (NYC, san fransisco, chicago, houston) has NC listed in the states they serve. What do I do now ? I want to know what forms am I supposed to fill out to get police certificate ? You said "I sent my passport and along with completed form. It took 14-16days total from mailing and receiving back your passport with USPS express mail. I applied 2 times and took the same time"
Am i supposed to send my original passport to get this police certificate ? Does not look that way..but pl confirm what all docs did you send ? Thanks.
I sent to NYC. don't know about NC. Just call DC embassy, if you don't get them email to all email ids in their site......

divagirl

Jan 8, 2009
beowulfkid said:
NC has to send to the Indian Consulate, Washington DC - http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/misc_guide.asp for more info. For Washington DC, you will have to submit your original passport until you get your PCC (somewhere in older threads they said it takes 2-3 months!!!) -- scary!

chow

Sep 23, 2008
divagirl said:
beowulfkid said:
NC has to send to the Indian Consulate, Washington DC - http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/misc_guide.asp for more info. For Washington DC, you will have to submit your original passport until you get your PCC (somewhere in older threads they said it takes 2-3 months!!!) -- scary!
one of me friends applied for birth certificate in dc, it took 10days only. may be pcc takes more time...

beowulfkid

Feb 22, 2009
Thanks divagirl.. this is useful info.
chow - just to confirm how recent in your information (14 days of return time from Indian embassy), pl tell me when (2009 ?) did you get ur pcc from DC embassy ? I am just confused about when exactly should I start working towards my PCC from India and from 3 other U.S. states I lived ?
Divagirl / chow - any idea about normally how long it takes to get PCC from U.S. states ? Also, Leon says it takes 1 month to get FBI certificate... do you have similar experience ?
Pl advise.

divagirl

Jan 8, 2009
beowulfkid said:
Thanks divagirl.. this is useful info.
chow - just to confirm how recent in your information (14 days of return time from Indian embassy), pl tell me when (2009 ?) did you get ur pcc from DC embassy ? I am just confused about when exactly should I start working towards my PCC from India and from 3 other U.S. states I lived ?
Divagirl / chow - any idea about normally how long it takes to get PCC from U.S. states ? Also, Leon says it takes 1 month to get FBI certificate... do you have similar experience ?
Pl advise.

I have not yet applied for any PCCs since they are valid only for 3 months. I submitted my original AINP appln on Jan 16th under the new process and the timeline says it takes 5 months to get nomination letter. So I will wait for 15 more days to apply to Indian PCC and 1 month atleast for FBI and State PCCs to be on the safe side. I think you get State PCCs in 15-20 days and from India it takes 2 months atleast -- not sure though, i guess.

mrs.aa

Mar 7, 2009
Dear Chow,

Can you please give me more information on what form you sent along with your passport ??? That will be great to know for all who read this.

Thanks
Mrs.AA

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
mrs aa,

did you try looking into the web site for the embassy at dc? it has the form and instructions available. it also has the phone number that you can call. i'd look for "official" answers there instead of forums.