+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate & country specific information guides

marikoi

May 14, 2015
Hello there,

I am in the process of gathering my documents to apply for outland spousal application. In the checklist it says that we have to include our police certificate. What confuses me is that when i look at the information guide, it says to provide a police certificate other than canada where you have spend more than 6 months since you were 18. Does this mean that if ive lived in Canada since i was 18 and have not spend more than 6 months in any other country since then, I do not have to include any police certificate with my application? if so, Do i need to state somewhere that this is the reason why i do not have a police certificate included in my application?

Another question that i would like to throw in is...Under the country specific information guides, it says to follow the information guide depending on where you live in. If i live in Canada, there is no such country specific guide. In that case, am i suppose to follow the Japan one since im originally from there?

If you are familiar with specific application for Japanese citizens, for Identity and Civil Status documents, is it enough to provide just the marriage certificate from here in BC, or would it be necessary to also include the original copy of family registry (koseki tohon) from Japan?

Any advice or answers would be helpful, thank you in advance!!!!!

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you apply for outland, then you need to get all docs from regional guide (Japan)

if you did not live another country beside Canada, you need to get a criminal check from Japan.
you do not explain the reason why you do not have a criminal check from other country.
one of questions from forms need to fill out residence address since you are 18, it will explain itself anyway,

p.s if you have live in Canada before you were 18, then don't think you need to get criminal check from Japan.
but if you have stayed in Japan more than 6 months after 18 yr. then you would need.

kawafam0919

Star Member
Jul 7, 2015
japan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
30-Dec-2015
File Transfer...
15-Jan-2016
Med's Done....
03-Oct-2015
Are you applying inland? Outland?

Not sure how helpful I can be here since our situations are different but I currently live in Japan and am in the process of applying for PR (Outland) with my Japanese partner. We provided his Koseki Tohon and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon plus the translated copies. We aren't married but of course we provided proof of our common law status. Assuming you're doing Outland, then you will need the marriage certificate PLUS your Koseki Tohon and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon. The Outland Japan guide says "A marriage certificate, birth certificate, Family Register or certified official copy AND a translation of your unaltered "Koseki Tohon" AND "Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon."

But again, we aren't married nor living in Canada. Also I am not familiar with the inland process, if that's what you're doing. Hopefully someone who is in a more similar situation to you can help!

For the police check, the CIC website states "You must get one from each country or territory where you have lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18." so as long as you haven't spend sixth months or more in Japan since turning 18 I believe you don't need a Japanese police check.

Good luck with your application!! I know it can be so stressful and confusing. Ganbare! :)

marikoi

May 14, 2015
Also under the photo requirement, it says "Supply nine (9) recent photos for each member of your family and yourself (accompanying and
non-accompanying)." Does this mean that i have to include photos of my parents, sister, brother etc that are not any part of this application? or does this only apply if you have an non-accompanying dependant child? (i apologize in advance if this is a stupid question)

kawafam0919

Star Member
Jul 7, 2015
japan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
30-Dec-2015
File Transfer...
15-Jan-2016
Med's Done....
03-Oct-2015
It's not a stupid question! It's totally confusing. We were unsure of this part as well but then we realized that in this case "family members" include the sponsor's spouse/common law partner (so, you), your dependant children and any children that are their dependent children. We found this definition in the guide for the outland sponsor application and some people on this forum confirmed it. We don't have any children so only my partner sent photos.