+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

points for nurse

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
Hi there, Just curious how points are calculated for nursing education? We've got an assessment from ICAS stated that my wife is the bachelor of nursing, which is 100% correct, as she has bachelor degree in nursing. However, nursing is regulated profession in Canada, and as per my understanding points should be calculated as per "master or entry to practice professional degree"?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kindzu said:
Hi there, Just curious how points are calculated for nursing education? We've got an assessment from ICAS stated that my wife is the bachelor of nursing, which is 100% correct, as she has bachelor degree in nursing. However, nursing is regulated profession in Canada, and as per my understanding points should be calculated as per "master or entry to practice professional degree"?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
No - points will only be awarded for a bachelors. ICAS is correct.

"Master or entry to practice professional degree" only refers to a small and specific group of professions that require significant education in addition to a bachelor (e.g. doctors, veterinarians).

kristelgen

Star Member
May 1, 2012
PHILIPPINES
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
JUNE 14 2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
What's the CRS score of your wife? I am a nurse too.

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
kristelgen said:
What's the CRS score of your wife? I am a nurse too.
She got 112 for education, it was calculated as With a spouse or common-law partner.
However, my thoughts were it should be 126, because nurse is regulated (licensed) profession in Canada. ::)

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
scylla said:
"Master or entry to practice professional degree" only refers to a small and specific group of professions that require significant education in addition to a bachelor (e.g. doctors, veterinarians).
This is bit confusing. Do you have any links or sources regarding this? Does CIC clearly say what do they mean "licensed"? Nursing is licensed occupation in Canada. It does require to pass serious exam to get permission to practice in Canada.

Anyway, I'll appreciate if you have some relevant info about this.

kristelgen

Star Member
May 1, 2012
PHILIPPINES
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
JUNE 14 2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
kindzu said:
She got 112 for education, it was calculated as With a spouse or common-law partner.
However, my thoughts was it should be 126, because nurse is regulated (licensed) profession in Canada. ::)
I got 120 for my education. It is equivalent to three year diploma course in Canada. May I know her total CRS score? The points would be based on the assessment of WES.

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
kristelgen said:
I got 120 for my education. It is equivalent to three year diploma course in Canada. May I know her total CRS score? The points would be based on the assessment of WES.
Total is 325, our age is close to 40.
Possibly you got 120, because you are not married. Which country do you apply from?

kristelgen

Star Member
May 1, 2012
PHILIPPINES
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
JUNE 14 2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
kindzu said:
Total is 325, our age is close to 40.
Possibly you got 120, because you are not married. Which country do you apply from?
Yes, you are right. I am applying from the Philippines and hired a consultant. Which country do you guys apply from? My score is 378, I'm 24.

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
kristelgen said:
Yes, you are right. I am applying from the Philippines and hired a consultant. Which country do you guys apply from? My score is 378, I'm 24.
We are applying from Australia. Just would be interesting to live for sometime in colder climate, but similar country to Australia. ;D
However, if we not succeed with points, Australia is still a great country.

kristelgen

Star Member
May 1, 2012
PHILIPPINES
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
JUNE 14 2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
I agree with you. Australia is a very nice place! Let's keep our hopes up. We never know when the scores would come down. I bet cic would not forget about nurses because they are high in demand. And most of the nurse's score falls under our range of scores. ;D 8) #myopiniononly

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
ChristNJ said:
Points will be calculated as per the WES translation. if nursing education attained abroad means nothing to canada then cic will automatically consider your wife's skillset for 7 eleven's cashier job in Manitoba.
Rigggght.... I agree with you to some point. For Canada foreign doctors, vets, dentist are equal to SevenEleven cashiers too and this is expected, however, I have strong suspicion that this category receive higher points for education, despite nurses, dentists, GP are in the same NOC health category. Even veterinarians are also there. That's why bit confusing here.

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
kristelgen said:

Kristelgen, did you mean hired as consultant in Philippines, or you already got some offer in Canada as a consultant? Have you tried to pass nursing exam for Canada and apply for Work Visa?

kristelgen

Star Member
May 1, 2012
PHILIPPINES
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
JUNE 14 2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
What I mean is, I hired a consultant which is a member of ICCRC to process my application. I'm currently completing my application to be assessed by NNAS. They will be the one to tell us if we need to take some units before taking the licensure exam or if we are good to go and take the exam.