+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please share experience with common law partner OWP application outside Canada

linats

Aug 23, 2016
Hi everyone,

my boyfriend of 2.5 years got accepted in a Canadian university (one-year grad program); he got his study permit and is leaving for Canada at the end of August. He's a German citizen and I'm a Bulgarian citizen. We are now trying to sort out the process of me getting to Canada as well. I've already finished my graduate degree so I'd be looking for a job in Canada for the time of his stay there. I'd appreciate if some of you have similar experiences to share. Is it likely to get an open work permit on a common law relationship basis when neither of the partners is a Canadian citizen?

My first concern is regarding the proof of the common law relationship: we have lived in two different cities for the most of our relationship due to employment reasons, but were seeing each other for at least two days a week (have train tickets as proof). We've occasionally spent few weeks or a month living under the same roof during travels, holidays, etc. but have no official document for that, such as a common rental agreement. We can provide every other proof that we've been in a genuine relationship for the past 2.5 years: letters from friends, photos, tickets showing that we traveled together or visited each other's families, postcards we've sent each other, transcripts from skype/whatsapp conversations, if need be...Do you think this would be enough or are really the common rental agreement and bank account the most vital items?

Secondly, I thought I can apply for the open work permit on the basis of his study permit while I'm still in Europe. Is that really so? I found some youtube videos, in which an immigration lawyer was stating that the person has to be in Canada when applying for the open work permit, otherwise it's not possible.

I'd much appreciate any info and advice.