+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please! Seeking Advice on Applying for Permanent Residency with Common-Law Partner

ridhamshah1025

Oct 26, 2023
Seeking Advice on Applying for Permanent Residency with Common-Law Partner
Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply for Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada with my common-law partner, and I need your help and support. Here's my detailed scenario:

My Journey in Canada:

• August 17, 2022: Arrived in Canada.
  • October-November 2022: I visited my boyfriend in Manitoba while he was studying for his master's.
  • December 2022: He moved to Ontario and started living with me. We updated our CRA tax return address and bank account addresses, but we don't have other proof of living together from this time.
  • May 2023: We signed a new lease with our landlord, including both of us and a friend, for a 2-bedroom apartment.
  • December 2023: Completed my master's in Ontario and created an Express of Interest for OINP for the master's stream.
  • Present: We have a Bell internet bill in my name, paid by my partner. We have not updated our common-law status for the 2023 tax return due to the lack of proof of cohabitation.
  • Work Permit Application: I did not update my common-law partner status because we did not have sufficient proof of living together for a year. We consider May 1, 2023, as the start date for this.
  • May 2024: My partner added me to his credit card account as an additional cardholder.
  • June 2024: My partner updated his status as a common-law partner at his job and added me as the insurance beneficiary. We are now updating our status as common-law partners wherever applicable.
  • July 2024: I received my OHIP card under my partner's OHIP, as he has been working full-time in an IT company for the past 1.5 years. We share the same address on our driver's licenses and individual bank accounts. Our lease includes both of us and our friend.
Questions:

1. Based on my profile, should I apply for PR with my common-law partner?
  2. In September 2024, we are moving to a new place and will have a lease agreement, including me, my partner, and our friend (the same friend from the previous address). Should we have only the two of us on the lease, or is it okay to include our friend?
  3. Given that we have been living together since December 2022 but only have proof from May 2023, is it acceptable that we did not update our status for the 2023 tax return and my work permit application? Can we proceed with the IRCC Non-Express Entry PR application?
  4. What are your suggestions based on my profile?
  5. In the new place, everything is included except hydro. Should we add both of our names to the hydro bill?
Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

tee2406

Star Member
Jun 6, 2024
Items that can be used as proof of a common-law relationship include:

• shared ownership of residential property
  • joint leases or rental agreements
  • bills for shared utility accounts, such as:
    • gas
    • electricity
    • telephone
    • joint utility accounts
  • important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as:
    • driver’s licenses
    • insurance policies
  • identification documents
Go ahead and apply. it seems like you already have everything you need. You have had a lease since May 2023- so that's already a year. you only need 2 documents. Don't overthink this. Otherwise just go and get married and send a marriage certificate.