+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help

JCBB

Feb 24, 2024
So how can you apply for a LMIA with closed work permit within Canada? You can no longer do that and has nothing to do with the changes coming into effect on September 26.
I didn't have any problem with that (with lawyers help). With closed work permit do you mean that my current status is that? Because I am not currently in a closed work permit. I have applied to.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I didn't have any problem with that (with lawyers help). With closed work permit do you mean that my current status is that? Because I am not currently in a closed work permit. I have applied to.
You are currently on an IEC but want to apply for a closed work permit with LMIA. And those can no longer be applied from within Canada. So ask your lawyers.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can't extend my current work permit since I am with IEC. And yes, expire in 2 days hahah
The rules for IEC are quite different than for other work permits. As already indicated you need to have an approved LMIA and then you can apply for a new closed WP if you qualify. Where in Canada are you located and what it hour hourly pay rate?

JCBB

Feb 24, 2024
The rules for IEC are quite different than for other work permits. As already indicated you need to have an approved LMIA and then you can apply for a new closed WP if you qualify. Where in Canada are you located and what it hour hourly pay rate?
Yes! But you can apply WITHOUT have the LMIA approved, only with the proof of submission. You will entrey in a "maintained status" meanwhile

JCBB

Feb 24, 2024
There are 2 separate posters so can you clarify when your IEC expires, whether you have an approved LMIA and when did you apply for a closed WP?
LMIA was sent on July for the employer. Work permit application was yesterday

JCBB

Feb 24, 2024
One question, in our previous comments on that post, did you mean that I can't even go into the maintained status, or that I can go into maintained status but they will refuse me later when they take the decision?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One question, in our previous comments on that post, did you mean that I can't even go into the maintained status, or that I can go into maintained status but they will refuse me later when they take the decision?
Normally you can get implied status because IEC is not extendable. Will allow others to confirm.