+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help

JCBB

Feb 24, 2024
Hello,
if you are waiting for LMIA resolution but you are going to apply for a work permit anyway, what should you put in the “Duration of the expected employment” section on the IMM5710 form, in the start date (“from”)? I can't think of anything because that is going to depend on when the LMIA is approved.

The other question is what to put in the end date they ask (“to”), since it would be an open-ended job.

Thanks in advance

SP55555

Mar 14, 2024
NOC 62020, Applying online. I know that is not an open ended job but the form ask me for both dates...

SP55555

Mar 14, 2024
I have the job offer letter, which indicates that it is an undefined finish date. But the company hasn´t received the LMIA answer yes.

Thanks for your answer!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have the job offer letter, which indicates that it is an undefined finish date. But the company hasn´t received the LMIA answer yes.

Thanks for your answer!
So how are you eligible to apply for a work permit with a LMIA? Having an undefined finish date can be on any job letter and you cannot work indefinitely on a work permit. Are you in the low wage stream? What is your salary? If so, changes announced (and you haven’t applied for work permit) states that the work permit will be one year so that is what you put in application.

JCBB

Feb 24, 2024
It will be skilled position, low wage salary. And related to the changes, it will affect to the LMIAs that had been presented before the announcement of that news? Or is related to the work permits and not the LMIAs?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It will be skilled position, low wage salary. And related to the changes, it will affect to the LMIAs that had been presented before the announcement of that news? Or is related to the work permits and not the LMIAs?
So low wage stream. If you don’t have a LMIA, then when you apply with approved LMIA, you may only get one year. LMIA may not even be approved. All you can do is wait and apply for closed work permit with LMIA and hope you get more than one year.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thanks for your answer!
On what bases are you applying for a work permit? If you don't have an approved LMIA yet.

SP55555

Mar 14, 2024
On what bases are you applying for a work permit? If you don't have an approved LMIA yet.
On the base that my current work permit is expiring and I have the right to apply to a work permit with an LMIA proof of submission ;)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
On the base that my current work permit is expiring and I have the right to apply to a work permit with an LMIA proof of submission ;)
Are you in Canada? Thought you couldn’t apply from within Canada for closed work permit with a LMIA. Must have read rules wrong.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So you are NOT applying for a new work permit. You are trying to extend your current work permit while a LMIA is being submitted but not yet approved. And your current work permit is expiring in less than 2 weeks.
None of that information was given in your posts.

JCBB

Feb 24, 2024
So you are NOT applying for a new work permit. You are trying to extend your current work permit while a LMIA is being submitted but not yet approved. And your current work permit is expiring in less than 2 weeks.
None of that information was given in your posts.
I can't extend my current work permit since I am with IEC. And yes, expire in 2 days hahah