+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*please help - question regarding email sent by immigration*

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
Good evening,

My common-law partner and I received this email after sending our spousal sponsorship application. Remind you that we have sent the application in December 2018 and we have since done the required medical exam and received her work permit... Here is what the email is asking;

> Proof of Cohabitation: Documents supporting 1 year of cohabitation, prior to the application being submitted (April 2017 onwards). This may include but is NOT limited to: Joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone). Documents for both the sponsor and primary applicant showing the same address for example, government issued mail, driver’s licenses, insurance policies; other documents (whether accounts are held jointly or not) e.g. cell phone bills, pay stubs, tax forms, bank or credit statements, etc.

So, is it asking for supplementary information? Or is it basically asking for a copy-paste of the previous information we already sent? We have not photocopied most of that information prior to this email as we felt that they would not have considered it as valid because they have mentioned that they would only be taking the original documents for the application itself.

Thank you very much for your time.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
They're not asking for what you've already sent; they're asking for more proof you've lived together for at least a year prior to submitting.

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
Good evening,

My common-law partner and I received this email after sending our spousal sponsorship application. Remind you that we have sent the application in December 2018 and we have since done the required medical exam and received her work permit... Here is what the email is asking;

> Proof of Cohabitation: Documents supporting 1 year of cohabitation, prior to the application being submitted (April 2017 onwards). This may include but is NOT limited to: Joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone). Documents for both the sponsor and primary applicant showing the same address for example, government issued mail, driver’s licenses, insurance policies; other documents (whether accounts are held jointly or not) e.g. cell phone bills, pay stubs, tax forms, bank or credit statements, etc.

So, is it asking for supplementary information? Or is it basically asking for a copy-paste of the previous information we already sent? We have not photocopied most of that information prior to this email as we felt that they would not have considered it as valid because they have mentioned that they would only be taking the original documents for the application itself.

When you initially sent your application in Dec 2018, did you provide enough proof about being living together for one year in a common law relationship?

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
I assumed that we had enough information since we are pretty far in the process...But I guess they are asking for more, which I find confusing. Does this mean that our application is in jeopardy if we are not able to provide more proof?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I assumed that we had enough information since we are pretty far in the process...But I guess they are asking for more, which I find confusing. Does this mean that our application is in jeopardy if we are not able to provide more proof?
If you do not provide more proof, and they are asking for more proof, you may be refused.

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
What did you provide at the beginning?

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
Understood, thank you very much for this. The last question; let's say the worst case scenario happens and our application is refused. Is the work permit still valid until its expiry date and will my common-law partner be able to travel in and of the country without it affecting her current status during that time?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Do you have no more cohabitation proof?

A worrk permit does not allow re entry to Canada. The original visa or visa exempt status must do that. Having applied for PR will weigh heavily in future visa applications.

Last edited:

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
I probably have more proof but their asking me to get it pretty quickly. The deadline is on the 20th. Whether the proof is considered valid or strong enough that I don't know. We have moved a lot during our time of cohabitation and it made it difficult to give proof of cohabitation (especially when living at parents house).

I can definitely feel the pressure now...

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
I probably have more proof but their asking me to get it pretty quickly. The deadline is on the 20th. Whether the proof is considered valid or strong enough that I don't know. We have moved a lot during our time of cohabitation and it made it difficult to give proof of cohabitation (especially when living at parents house).

I can definitely feel the pressure now...
Get some affidavit letters also for document support, from friends and family... and make sure it matches with the information you added in IMM 5669 - addresses you've lived in the past 10 years.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Get some affidavit letters also for document support, from friends and family... and make sure it matches with the information you added in IMM 5669 - addresses you've lived in the past 10 years.
Yes. They don't necessarily need to be notarized ("affidavit letters") but they need to be verifiable with names, phone numbers, etc.

They normally give 30 days to respond to these inquiries. Did they not give you that?

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
No k.h.p. they only sent us an email giving a week (which is a very busy week for me) to accumulate supplementary information about our proof of cohabitation. And yes, I already made several affidavits and letters of support from family and friends stating that we have been living in certain places. We will see if I can do some more. But if that's all that I can do we will see how it goes.

Calm2019

Jan 31, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
November 2, 2018
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
November 22, 2018
Med's Request
January 21, 2019
Med's Done....
January 29, 2019
Good evening,

Hi if you cannot provide what on the list that IRCC mentioned on their letter provide a letter of explanation on why you cannot provide if applicable but if you can provide all of them good!