+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP - Landing Interview Next Week and Need Advice

pilots

Mar 16, 2017
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen sponsoring my common-law partner under family class sponsorship INLAND. Our app was filed early 2016. We have passed everything from Medical, Criminal, Sponsor Approved letter, Applicant approved letter, DM letter and Landing Interview Invitation letter for next week. However, the process typically takes a long time inland and legal status can sometimes expire. We applied while my partner was still legal status and held a holiday working visa at the time and also applied for OWP.

The Vegreville, AB work permit office was a huge headache because they sent a refusal letter to the wrong person and we were notified many months later about how they made the mistake and things got lost. Immediately upon receiving the OWP refusal letter my partner quit working (my partner was legally allowed to continue working under implied status until we received our OWP letter). Reason behind OWP refusal was due to unfortunate timing with sending the OWP app and PR app around the same time via the mail and when Vegreville received our OWP app, at that point our PR app was mailed back to us with instructions to sign one form that we did not sign because it didn't apply to us and nothing needed to be filled in for that particular page (we fixed the mistake and sent back to the processing centre the same day express post), we assumed it didn't have to be signed, but they requested us to sign it.

As you can see, we unfortunately have a unusual case.

Everything has passed and we've followed the rules, its just been unlucky with the OWP situation. We were going to reapply for OWP and called CIC before hand to confirm, but they advised us to just wait until PR is complete as we were already so far into the process and had many stages approved at that point.

Please, does anyone have any advice or experience? I'm hoping everything will be okay and the interview will be just standard. At this point the government has spent so much time and money on the app, I can't see why they would say no at this point during an interview solely based off of status. We had no choice, but to remain in Canada because if my partner left, the inland app would be automatically cancelled... I truly hope the CIC agent during our interview will be able to understand this unique situation and have sympathy.

My biggest worry is during the interview is when they open my partners passport and write "VOID" on the expired work visa(remember, it was still legal and active at the time of applying) they may notice the dates on it and ask more questions.

I can't properly sleep because of this stress. We just want the process to be done/approved like everyone else and move on in life. Are we going to be okay? We have all our letter and paperwork for proof of Vegrevilles mistake and recorded our entire process.

Also, for 2017 inland family class landing interviews that had recent experiences to share?

Thank you to everyone taking the time to read/help.

pilots

Mar 16, 2017
NOTE: We have remained in Canada the entire duration of the application. We have not left the country for travel purposes or anything to protect our PR app.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pilots said:
I truly hope the CIC agent during our interview will be able to understand this unique situation and have sympathy.

My biggest worry is during the interview is when they open my partners passport and write "VOID" on the expired work visa(remember, it was still legal and active at the time of applying) they may notice the dates on it and ask more questions.

I can't properly sleep because of this stress. We just want the process to be done/approved like everyone else and move on in life. Are we going to be okay? We have all our letter and paperwork for proof of Vegrevilles mistake and recorded our entire process.

Also, for 2017 inland family class landing interviews that had recent experiences to share?
Hi

Stop stressing. There will be no issue with the landing, as status is not required.

Yours isn't really a unique situation; many people go through this process and land without status. The landing officer will know everything about your partner's lack of status already, so there will be no surprises.

pilots

Mar 16, 2017
Thank you canuck_in_uk. You have been a helpful friend on this message board from other threads and we appreciate you sharing your advice on this.

Thats a good point, CIC should have had this in the their system for a while now and if there was anything bad they would have contacted us before our interview letter. My assumption is everything is done and actually approved. Is the interview more of a formality for signing and stamping things? We will try our best to remain calm.

Thank you again.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
pilots said:
Thank you canuck_in_uk. You have been a helpful friend on this message board from other threads and we appreciate you sharing your advice on this.

Thats a good point, CIC should have had this in the their system for a while now and if there was anything bad they would have contacted us before our interview letter. My assumption is everything is done and actually approved. Is the interview more of a formality for signing and stamping things? We will try our best to remain calm.

Thank you again.
It's easy. They ask a few questions to verify the material facts (not been denied entry into Canada, no criminal offenses in Canada, no undeclared dependents, etc). It's not a test.

Then you all sign paperwork, and it's job done...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pilots said:

Yes, the landing interview is basically just a formality, not even a real interview. The lack of status is not an issue and your partner will land as normal.

Be excited, not stressed :).

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
congratulations pilots it's a happy time for you

pilots

Mar 16, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, the landing interview is basically just a formality, not even a real interview. The lack of status is not an issue and your partner will land as normal.

Be excited, not stressed :).
This was the CIC link that makes me feel stressed about it:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=517&top=15

I hope this won't be a big deal during our interview. It was under the Student section though... Perhaps it is different for Family Class Commonlaw sponsorship. I wish CIC had a clear note on this on the website. They leave so many people hanging and guessing. If this was such a big deal, they've had plenty of time to inform us about this as well.

Thanks

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
pilots said:
Thank you! We're very excited, but also very nervous. We can't wait for this to be over!!

i am sposnoring my husband inland spousal sponsorship our journey started Dec 14 2015 and I got sa March 10 2017 last week's our rep sent proof of relationship to continue to work on my husband for his pr application now the waitiing part for his pr
when your journey started

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pilots said:
This was the CIC link that makes me feel stressed about it:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=517&top=15

I hope this won't be a big deal during our interview. It was under the Student section though... Perhaps it is different for Family Class Commonlaw sponsorship. I wish CIC had a clear note on this on the website. They leave so many people hanging and guessing. If this was such a big deal, they've had plenty of time to inform us about this as well.
You are worrying because of something that in no way applies to you. You can't be looking at the requirements for people in completely different situations.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#eligibility

Your spouse or common-law partner can’t become a permanent resident in Canada if he or she is inadmissible for any reason OTHER than not having legal immigration status in Canada. A public policy also covers spouses and common-law partners who will be assessed for permanent residence even if they have no legal immigration status in Canada.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
canuck_in_uk said:
You are worrying because of something that in no way applies to you. You can't be looking at the requirements for people in completely different situations.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#eligibility

Your spouse or common-law partner can’t become a permanent resident in Canada if he or she is inadmissible for any reason OTHER than not having legal immigration status in Canada. A public policy also covers spouses and common-law partners who will be assessed for permanent residence even if they have no legal immigration status in Canada.
What if the spouse has a deportation order but they just ignore it and kept going under?
Will it affect the application?
What if that spouse does not have a valid passport because it already expires?

pilots

Mar 16, 2017
Hi canuck_in_uk,

Thank you again for your quick response. We greatly appreciate your help in this. The link you provided was a big help and we felt a lot of relief when seeing this on the official CIC website, last edited March 2017 as well. Good to know. Thank you again!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kapatid said:
What if the spouse has a deportation order but they just ignore it and kept going under?
Will it affect the application?
What if that spouse does not have a valid passport because it already expires?
A deportation order is an entirely different situation again and depending on the specifics, yes, it could be an issue for the app.

A valid passport is required to become a PR.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
canuck_in_uk said:
A deportation order is an entirely different situation again and depending on the specifics, yes, it could be an issue for the app.

A valid passport is required to become a PR.
How can you get a PR if you dont have passport?
Because you cant renew your passport if you dont have a valid work permit or status?