+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP! Got a new passport and my PGWP is linked to my old one

plkyoun97

May 24, 2024
Hello guys! Thank you for any helps in advance.

So my situation is that I have a 3 years PGWP which will be expired in Oct 2025. And I went back home for vacation with my old passport and got a new passport there because my old passport will be expired in Dec 2025 and I wanted to have a new one when I am in my country. I came back to Canada few days ago with my new passport and asked the officer at the border about what I should do with my PGWP which is linked to my old passport (I am wondering if I need to get a new PGWP with my new passport). The officer told me to call IRCC to renew my PGWP to update it with the new passport number. So I am trying to call IRCC but whenever I tried, they hung up the call and did not even put me on the queue. That's why I am lost here! I hope nothing will affect me in a bad way.. Any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Hello guys! Thank you for any helps in advance.

So my situation is that I have a 3 years PGWP which will be expired in Oct 2025. And I went back home for vacation with my old passport and got a new passport there because my old passport will be expired in Dec 2025 and I wanted to have a new one when I am in my country. I came back to Canada few days ago with my new passport and asked the officer at the border about what I should do with my PGWP which is linked to my old passport (I am wondering if I need to get a new PGWP with my new passport). The officer told me to call IRCC to renew my PGWP to update it with the new passport number. So I am trying to call IRCC but whenever I tried, they hung up the call and did not even put me on the queue. That's why I am lost here! I hope nothing will affect me in a bad way.. Any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!
Work Permit is a separate document and not tied to your passport. If you have a valid TRV on an expired passport, you need to present both old and new one when entering Canada. Unless you have lost possession of your old expired passport, I won't worry about anything.

plkyoun97

May 24, 2024
Thank you for your reply! Then there will be no problem for me to work until my PGWP expiration date with the new passport without notifying IRCC? I am worried since the officer at the border told me to call IRCC when entering Canada...
Thank you again!

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Thank you for your reply! Then there will be no problem for me to work until my PGWP expiration date with the new passport without notifying IRCC? I am worried since the officer at the border told me to call IRCC when entering Canada...
Thank you again!
Till the time you still have the old passport in your possession, you will be fine.

plkyoun97

May 24, 2024
Hello, I am just worried about if there will be any problem when I apply for express entry. Could you please help me out. Thank you

plkyoun97

May 24, 2024
There won’t be any issues. You are just overthinking.
Thank you for your reply. I am really hoping that I am overthinking.. I was worried because there is my old passport number on my pgwp and I have a new passport before expiring pgwp..

plkyoun97

May 24, 2024
What is the expiration date on your PGWP?
So my pgwp will be expired on Oct 2025, my old passport was supposed to be expired on Feb 2026. Even though my passport was not expiring but I renewed to get a new one with 10 more years when I visited my country. So I am kinda worried what if my pgwp is over because I get a new passport and what if there will be any problem when I apply for express entry. Thanm you for help

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
So my pgwp will be expired on Oct 2025, my old passport was supposed to be expired on Feb 2026. Even though my passport was not expiring but I renewed to get a new one with 10 more years when I visited my country. So I am kinda worried what if my pgwp is over because I get a new passport and what if there will be any problem when I apply for express entry. Thanm you for help
There won’t be any problem. People renew their passports all the time. When I renewed my passport seven months before expiry, my first PGWP was still valid. It became invalid the day IRCC approves my PGWP extension application, according to my gckey.

plkyoun97

May 24, 2024
There won’t be any problem. People renew their passports all the time. When I renewed my passport seven months before expiry, my first PGWP was still valid. It became invalid the day IRCC approves my PGWP extension application, according to my gckey.
OMG thank you for your reply. You make me relieved! Have you notified IRCC when you renewed your passport? I tried to contact them because the border office told me to do so, but they always just hung up and do not let me in queue. Sorry for the many questions tho!

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
OMG thank you for your reply. You make me relieved! Have you notified IRCC when you renewed your passport? I tried to contact them because the border office told me to do so, but they always just hung up and do not let me in queue. Sorry for the many questions tho!
You don’t need to update however if you want, you can send a webform . I guess you are just overthinking and you don’t need to do anything right now . You only have to notify IRCC if your application is in processing stage and you renewed your passport that time .