+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help- Bridging Open Work Permit alternatives?

abbyok96

May 10, 2019
I’m freaking out a bit and was hoping someone could help me out here...

So, my post-graduation work permit expires on September 19 of this year. My Express Entry profile status says that I am a candidate, and will be sent a message if invited to apply. My CRS score is 510, and I’m only eligible for the CEC (though I have applied for the PNP as well, but haven’t heard anything back and honestly am not very hopeful about it). But I’ve just read that Express Entry draws are open for all candidates in July, so that’s great news.

Unfortunately, I’m just now realizing that my plan for the time while waiting for an ITA isn’t viable, because I completely misunderstood the specifics of the Bridging Open Work Permit- I thought I could apply while waiting for an invitation to be extended, but it’s only for the time period after actually submitting a PR application.

I really doubt I’ll get a PNP, so my best-case scenario is that I’ll get an ITA before my permit expires so I can simply apply for the BOWP as planned. However, that’s a very small window, and I don’t want to be unprepared, since the non-PNP massive application backlog likely means an ITA could still take a while.

Do I have any options for my situation that are in the same vein as a BOWP, or am I just completely screwed if I don’t get an invitation to apply in time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I’m freaking out a bit and was hoping someone could help me out here...

So, my post-graduation work permit expires on September 19 of this year. My Express Entry profile status says that I am a candidate, and will be sent a message if invited to apply. My CRS score is 510, and I’m only eligible for the CEC (though I have applied for the PNP as well, but haven’t heard anything back and honestly am not very hopeful about it). But I’ve just read that Express Entry draws are open for all candidates in July, so that’s great news.

Unfortunately, I’m just now realizing that my plan for the time while waiting for an ITA isn’t viable, because I completely misunderstood the specifics of the Bridging Open Work Permit- I thought I could apply while waiting for an invitation to be extended, but it’s only for the time period after actually submitting a PR application.

I really doubt I’ll get a PNP, so my best-case scenario is that I’ll get an ITA before my permit expires so I can simply apply for the BOWP as planned. However, that’s a very small window, and I don’t want to be unprepared, since the non-PNP massive application backlog likely means an ITA could still take a while.

Do I have any options for my situation that are in the same vein as a BOWP, or am I just completely screwed if I don’t get an invitation to apply in time?
You're freaking out needlessly.

You can apply for an 18 month extension to your PGWP once IRCC releases the details in June / July.