+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help! 1 year continuous work experience in Canada

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Please help. Here a little information about my situation.

I got a PGWP and started working full-time On April 21, 2014, but on April 10, 2015 I was laid-off and terminated from my previous employer due to shortage of work.

So April 21, 2014 - April 10, 2015, 2 weeks short to fulfill 1 year, however, I worked on a basis of 40 hours /per week, and my ROE indicated insurable work hours is 2160.

The company compensated me 2 weeks wages in lieu of notice and 2 weeks paid vacation.

I created EE profile last month, the system counts this job as 1 year full time work experience, because there is no date to specify.

My question is: Does this job can be counted as one year full time work experience? If yes, what kind of specific information should be written on the reference letter regarding the 2 weeks shortage?
If No,what I can do next? The system can't enter exactly date.

Please help. I really frustrated.

Thank you so much.

Cayla

PK_11

Sep 18, 2014
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-03-2016
Doc's Request.
16-09-2016 (RPRF)
Nomination.....
01-02-2016
AOR Received.
12-04-2016
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
10-03-2017
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Not Reqd as of now
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
InLand Applicant
It will be counted as one year.. Bcoz u have two years of paid vacation and thats get countef under cec. Sp u are good to go. Dont worry. All d best.

2014nov

Oct 9, 2015
I believe system reckons month as start and end time for jobs, not specific dates, So I guess you would be fine Since you have started and ended in April.

Way calculation is done would be April 2014 - March 2015 as an year irrespective of joining/quitting dates as long as they fall in these months.

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
Thank you so much.

For the reference letter, which one is better?

Option 1: xxxxx was employed from 21st April 2014 until 10th April 2015 and paid vacation period from 11th April 2014 to 24th April 2015?

Option 2: xxxxx was employed from 21st April 2014 until 10th April 2015 (same employment information on ROE)?

Or are there other better options? Please suggest.

Once again, Thank you very much.

PK_11

Sep 18, 2014
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-03-2016
Doc's Request.
16-09-2016 (RPRF)
Nomination.....
01-02-2016
AOR Received.
12-04-2016
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
10-03-2017
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Not Reqd as of now
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
InLand Applicant
Use same as ROE, and attach ur paid vacation pay stub and write LOE and describe the scenario.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cayla said:
I created EE profile last month, the system counts this job as 1 year full time work experience, because there is no date to specify.

My question is: Does this job can be counted as one year full time work experience? If yes, what kind of specific information should be written on the reference letter regarding the 2 weeks shortage?
If No,what I can do next? The system can't enter exactly date.
Regardless of what the system does, if you get an ITA and you apply under CEC, you will be evaluated against CEC criteria - that specifies a minimum of 1 year of full-time experience (does NOT have to be continuous - if you have other work experience that came after, that will be added to the total time).

The "extra" hours cannot make up for a shortage of time. If you work 30 or more hours per week, it is simply "full time."

Despite your employer's compensation, you technically were not employed for 52 weeks. (If the company had let you stay on the payroll while you took those 2 weeks of vacation, that would have been better than a payout).

You can provide a letter of explanation and hope for an understanding VO, but you should realize that chances are 50/50 at best that the application will be approved - it has happened, but not as often as refusals. But based on the info you provided, you do not meet the minimum requirements.

If you apply, you should realize that it is a gamble. Only you can decide whether it is worth the gamble to you.

ifeedly

Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Cayla,
did they make you take those vacation and paid you or did they paid you for those two weeks of vacation and did not require you to take them?
your termination was effective the day you received the letter or did it say your paid vacation begins now and after the vacation is over you are released from duty.
My advice will depend on your answer. you may or may not qualify.
however looking at the dates the you atleast worked for 51 weeks(50.5).

-----------------------
In the mean time I am posting something else for you to read:
Full-time work
For CEC applications received on or after January 2, 2013

Pursuant to R73(1), “full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, and pursuant to R73(2) “work” means an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned.

For CEC applications received before January 2, 2013

Pursuant to R87.1(3)(a), “full-time work” means at least 37.5 hours of work over a period of one week. Full-time equivalence, or 1,950 hours of paid employment over a period of at least 12 months will also be considered.

Calculating work experience for CEC

The full-time work experience requirement for applicants in the CEC may be met by the equivalent in part-time, paid work experience (e.g., more than one part-time job held simultaneously or one or more part-time jobs held over the equivalent of at least one year of full-time work).

Work experience can be calculated by adding up the number of weeks of full-time (or equivalent) paid work, for example:

30 hours/37.5 hours per week in one job, or a total of at least 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in more than one job) in one or more skilled occupations at:
Skill Type 0 (Managerial occupations);
Skill Level A (Professional occupations); or
Skill Level B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of the NOC.
Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least one year; work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience.
For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience requirement (e.g., post-graduate work permit).

ifeedly

Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this is what CIC Says on its web page:
How much work experience do I need to apply under the Canadian Experience Class?

You must have earned at least one year of full-time skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time) in Canada within the three years before we receive your application for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. Your skilled work experience does not have to be continuous but it must total one year of full-time work altogether.

“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1560 hours.

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
jes_ON said:
Regardless of what the system does, if you get an ITA and you apply under CEC, you will be evaluated against CEC criteria - that specifies a minimum of 1 year of full-time experience (does NOT have to be continuous - if you have other work experience that came after, that will be added to the total time).

The "extra" hours cannot make up for a shortage of time. If you work 30 or more hours per week, it is simply "full time."

Despite your employer's compensation, you technically were not employed for 52 weeks. (If the company had let you stay on the payroll while you took those 2 weeks of vacation, that would have been better than a payout).

You can provide a letter of explanation and hope for an understanding VO, but you should realize that chances are 50/50 at best that the application will be approved - it has happened, but not as often as refusals. But based on the info you provided, you do not meet the minimum requirements.

If you apply, you should realize that it is a gamble. Only you can decide whether it is worth the gamble to you.

Thank you for your reply.
I do have other work experience after that, however, the EE system determine that I am eligible for both CEC and FSW, If I got an ITA under FSW, which has to have one year of continuous work experience. And based on information you provided, I technically were not employed for 52 weeks, so what I can do? I can't change the EE system. :'(

Please advise. Thanks.

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
ifeedly said:
this is what CIC Says on its web page:
How much work experience do I need to apply under the Canadian Experience Class?

You must have earned at least one year of full-time skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time) in Canada within the three years before we receive your application for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. Your skilled work experience does not have to be continuous but it must total one year of full-time work altogether.

“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1560 hours.

Thank you.
My termination was effective the day I received the letter, which is on April 10, 2015. They paid out 2 weeks wage+ 2 weeks in lieu of notice+2 weeks vacation on the same day.

Please advice. I really confused and frustrated.

Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cayla said:
I do have other work experience after that, however, the EE system determine that I am eligible for both CEC and FSW, If I got an ITA under FSW, which has to have one year of continuous work experience.
If you are eligible for both, the system will by default give you an ITA for the FSW program.

So, you haven't stated what other skilled work experience you have, but that is the key to your eligibility.