+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please he-e-e-elp seniors and everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene E

Jun 2, 2011
Dear fellow immigrants,
I really need an "urgent" response to my dilemma. I landed back in September 2009 with my family of 4. We were not able to get our PR cards, as a part of the immigration process, due to the officer's note on our COPR:"Not moving to Canada at this time. No address to provide." We had to enter back the US.
Now we're getting ready to reenter Canada by car. Unfortunatelly to us, for urgent family matters, we will need to fly overseas in the next 3-4 weeks after returning to Canada.
That's why we are thinking of the option for an "Urgent processing of PR card application".
I tried to contact the CIC by phone to get any clarity on my issue but apparently they are not reachable outside Canada by phone.
Please seniors and everyone, give me any suggestion if there is a chance of success of my plan of getting our PR cards before we leave Canada again.
I'm even thinking that we may need some attorney's representation in case anything goes wrong during the process. What do you guys think?????
I'm really hoping that there are people on this forum that went through a similar situation and are able and willing to help.
Everyone, any help would be highly appreciated.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gene E said:
Dear fellow immigrants,
I really need an "urgent" response to my dilemma. I landed back in September 2009 with my family of 4. We were not able to get our PR cards, as a part of the immigration process, due to the officer's note on our COPR:"Not moving to Canada at this time. No address to provide." We had to enter back the US.
Now we're getting ready to reenter Canada by car. Unfortunatelly to us, for urgent family matters, we will need to fly overseas in the next 3-4 weeks after returning to Canada.
That's why we are thinking of the option for an "Urgent processing of PR card application".
I tried to contact the CIC by phone to get any clarity on my issue but apparently they are not reachable outside Canada by phone.
Please seniors and everyone, give me any suggestion if there is a chance of success of my plan of getting our PR cards before we leave Canada again.
I'm even thinking that we may need some attorney's representation in case anything goes wrong during the process. What do you guys think?????
I'm really hoping that there are people on this forum that went through a similar situation and are able and willing to help.
Everyone, any help would be highly appreciated.
Are you from a country that is visa exempt to Canada?

Gene E

Jun 2, 2011
No, I am not rjessome. Does it matter in my case? I already explained that I'm traveling by road and my question refers to the possibility of obtaining a PR card in a timely manner, by using the option of Urgent processing of PR card application, explained on the web site of CIC. I live in the US and I'm traveling to Europe for urgent family matters.
Please guys, give me a specific answer if you know it, so I can make my travel arrangements ASAP.
Thank you everyone...

wicky

Feb 27, 2011
LONDON UK
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2011
Doc's Request.
Submitted with application
AOR Received.
awaiting
IELTS Request
Submitted with application 7.5 Band
File Transfer...
awaiting
Med's Request
awaiting
Med's Done....
awaiting
Interview........
awaiting
Passport Req..
awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
awaiting
LANDED..........
awaiting
Hi gene E.
When you apply for ur PR card provide them your travel tickets with the proof of purchase and write on the envelope "urgent" or some thing you think will make an urgent impression. Send your PR aplication through the fastest and with the tracking number service

I hope this will help you
I am not at home and typing through mOb. Will be able to provide u a link with the related info.

Wicky

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Sorry to dishearten everyone, especially the OP -- that 'urgent' means 4 weeks... else it takes between 6-8 weeks.

No amount of coercing/explanation/letter-writing would help make it come faster.

Qorax

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gene E said:
No, I am not rjessome. Does it matter in my case? I already explained that I'm traveling by road and my question refers to the possibility of obtaining a PR card in a timely manner, by using the option of Urgent processing of PR card application, explained on the web site of CIC. I live in the US and I'm traveling to Europe for urgent family matters.
Please guys, give me a specific answer if you know it, so I can make my travel arrangements ASAP.
Thank you everyone...
So you are going to land in Canada first and then travel to Europe? Are you going to re-enter Canada from Europe or via land from the US? There is no way you can get your initial PR card faster than the current times posted and with the postal strike going on now, who knows how much longer that will take? As far as I know, CIC has not yet made alternative arrangements for the delivery of the PR card. If you are going to try to get on a plane in Europe to enter Canada without proof of your status, as a non-visa exempt person you will have to apply for a Travel Document before you do this. If you are trying to re-enter Canada from the US by land, I am 99% sure you can do it with your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and voided visa. I can't find the link to this information at the moment but I'm sure others know where it is. Call the Call Centre or CBSA to be sure about this if that is your method of re-entry. OR, you could wait to land until you are returning from Europe as your PR visa will still be valid (hopefully).

Gene E

Jun 2, 2011
Thank you all for the interesting discussion and the feedback.

Firstly, I want to ask how many years you can stay outside Canada after landing in order to maintain my PR status? Some people on this forum say it is two years, others believe it is 3 years.

Secondly, how many times I can reenter Canada by land using my CORP. I'll repeat again my situation: My famyly and I landed in September 2009. For unknown reasons for me, we were not granted the right to receive a PR card. It was written on our CORP: " Not moving to Canada at this time. No address to provide". That actually was not correct -I had address of a friend, but the officer did not want to consider it. Anyway, we went back to the USA in order our kids to complete their educational degrees.

Third, now we want to enter Canada for a second time in order to apply for our PR cards. Meanwhile, after entering Canada, we will have to travel urgently to Europe in no more than a month after entering Canada.
From the posts on this forum I understand that, we can not get our PR cards as a part of the immigration process(currently 33 business days waiting), since this would be our second entry. Hence, somebody says, we'll have to applly for our PR cards by mail(currently 109 calendar days waiting). In this case, people say that we would have to be picking our PR cards personally at a local office. Obviously, that would not work for me since I'd like us to have our cards before we leave Canada. Therefore, I'm considering so called "Urgent processing of PR card application". Now, I understand that this processing is not so "urgent" anyway. According to Qorax it takes 4-8 weeks.

Please confirm or deny any of the information provided above.

My question is: since most likely we'll not be able to wait for so long before we leave Canada, can we reenter Canada by land using our COPR for the third time?

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Transferred to London from Islamabad
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-1-15 PP received on 21-1-15
May be this information is useful for you

Do I need a permanent resident card if I'm returning to Canada by car?

No matter how you travel back to Canada, all permanent residents entering Canada must satisfy the border services officer that they have valid permanent resident status. A valid permanent resident card is the best proof of your status.

If you do not present your card when you return to Canada, you may be asked to show one of the following documents:

a completed Confirmation of Permanent Residence form;
the original Record of Landing (if it is dated 1973 or later);
a passport stamped with the date you were granted permanent residence (if your Record of Landing is dated 1972 or earlier);
a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters; or
a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters attesting to your permanent resident status.
The border services officer may also need to confirm your permanent resident status by asking you questions and checking our information systems.

Reference : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gene E - you must reside in Canada for 2 out of 5 years to maintain your permanent residence. So according to my calculations, you still have more than a year to settle in Canada.

Here are the residency obligations from Section 28 of the Act:

28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

Application

(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):

(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are

(i) physically present in Canada,

(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,

(iii) outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province,

(iv) outside Canada accompanying a permanent resident who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent and who is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province, or

(v) referred to in regulations providing for other means of compliance;

(b) it is sufficient for a permanent resident to demonstrate at examination

(i) if they have been a permanent resident for less than five years, that they will be able to meet the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately after they became a permanent resident;

(ii) if they have been a permanent resident for five years or more, that they have met the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately before the examination; and

(c) a determination by an officer that humanitarian and compassionate considerations relating to a permanent resident, taking into account the best interests of a child directly affected by the determination, justify the retention of permanent resident status overcomes any breach of the residency obligation prior to the determination.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regarding how many times you can enter by land with your COPR, it doesn`t matter. If you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations, you ARE a PR whether you have the card or not.

Since this is not considered an intial issuance of the PR card (because it wasn`t issued at the time of landing) you DO have to pick up the PR card in person. As far as I know, there is no way around this.

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Read this as well
This is for UK only.Where in Europe you are planning to visit ?
You may have to contact the concerned Canadian High Commission to re enter Canada.

Re-entering Canada with a permanent resident travel document
If you are a permanent resident of Canada outside of the country and do not have a valid permanent resident card, you can only apply for a new card after returning to Canada. Applications for permanent resident cards are only accepted from within Canada.

To allow you to return to Canada without a valid permanent resident card, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD). The PRTD will allow you to enter Canada only once. To apply for a PRTD, please refer to How to apply for a permanent resident travel document

Since a PRTD is only valid for a single entry, you will have to submit a new PRTD application every time you need to re-enter Canada. To avoid this, you should apply for a new permanent resident card immediately after arriving in Canada. For information on how to apply for a new permanent resident card, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) website.

In your PRTD application you will need to show that you have not lost your status as a permanent resident.

Source : http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/tdpr_info_tvrp.aspx#re-enter

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Travel Document is used to facilitate travel to Canada with commercial transportation companies. If you read the Guide for Travel Documents, you will see that statement in one of the very first paragraphs. If the OP is entering by land in a private vehicle, they do not need a TD to get into the car.

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Off course
This requirement is for visiting Europe and return to Canada
No one can get a PRC within such a short time

rjessome said:
The Travel Document is used to facilitate travel to Canada with commercial transportation companies. If you read the Guide for Travel Documents, you will see that statement in one of the very first paragraphs. If the OP is entering by land in a private vehicle, they do not need a TD to get into the car.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salmanahm said:
Off course This requirement is for visiting some place outside of Americas
For Example
Europe
From anywhere if they are entering by a commercial vehicle (air, land or sea), even from America.

REYNOLD

May 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-11
File Transfer...
06-06-11
Med's Request
03-06-11
Med's Done....
03-07-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-08-11
VISA ISSUED...
25-08-11
LANDED..........
Soon in Vancouver
I agee with salmanahm:
PRTD is what my brother did upon re-entering Canada..coz like you he hasnt got his PR Card when he left Canada after two months of stay in Vancouver. He was granted re-entry after appliying PRTD. may be you can do the same...moreso, you need to provide proofs(Utility bills, tax payments, copy of lease, employment contracts made with canada employer) that you have actually lived in canada after your first landing. This is what my brother did and he was granted anyhow.Im the one who processed his PRTD here in Abu Dhabi as he was working in Yemen back then.

salmanahm said:
Read this as well
This is for UK only.Where in Europe you are planning to visit ?
You may have to contact the concerned Canadian High Commission to re enter Canada.

Re-entering Canada with a permanent resident travel document
If you are a permanent resident of Canada outside of the country and do not have a valid permanent resident card, you can only apply for a new card after returning to Canada. Applications for permanent resident cards are only accepted from within Canada. en.

To allow you to return to Canada without a valid permanent resident card, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD). The PRTD will allow you to enter Canada only once. To apply for a PRTD, please refer to How to apply for a permanent resident travel document

Since a PRTD is only valid for a single entry, you will have to submit a new PRTD application every time you need to re-enter Canada. To avoid this, you should apply for a new permanent resident card immediately after arriving in Canada. For information on how to apply for a new permanent resident card, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) website.

In your PRTD application you will need to show that you have not lost your status as a permanent resident.

Source : http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/tdpr_info_tvrp.aspx#re-enter