+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please give me some advices about extend my stay

No1lucky

Jun 30, 2011
Please give me some advices. I came to Canada by worker visa (live in caregiver program) I got work permitt and my work permitt and visa will be expired on 22 Aug 2011 but I was married with Canadian guy and we sent Pr application from to CIC at Feb 2011 and sponsor approved at March, I applied for extend my stay from worker status visa changes to visitor at 13 June 2011 by online and now still waiting for CIC open my case.
- I would like to know in my case will CIC approve my extend my stay? the document I was submitting online are my passport and sponsor approved from CIC ( that only 2 document can attached by online).
- In case CIC won't have opened my case yet till the expire date in my passport, Can I still live in Canada?

Thank you so much

eletyl

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2010
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
Med's Done....
20-12-2010
Passport Req..
23-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2011
LANDED..........
02-08-2011
when you refer to the expire date in your passport, do you mean the expire date of the WORK PERMIT, or the expire date of the passport itself?

if you are referring to the expire date of the work permit - and your passport remains valid - then don't worry, you can stay in Canada under "implied status" until you hear back from CIC, even after the work permit expires.

if your passport expires, you cannot stay here.

for future reference - it might have been a bit safer to send in a mail application (with additional supporting documents, see below), or online to append multiple pages into a single PDF file (e.g., passport + your sponsorship letter in the 1st file, your bank statements or your sponsor's bank statements or proof of employment in a 2nd file). I know that the online application only asks for a passport and proof that you can financially support yourself - did you include the latter? I think the financial proof is what is most important.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you applied to change your status before your current permit expired, you are on implied status until a decision is reached on the new visitor application. If you sent in proof of the sponsorship, chances are good that they will approve the visitor application.

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
I don't know about work permits for the live-in caregiver program. You say your sponsor was approved about a month after CIC received the application. That means that you applied outland (through Missassauga and your local embassy). If you would have applied inland, you could've applied for a work permit too, that will be processed with AIP. So that would've gave you the right to continue to work under implied status too, with the benefit that there's no real chance they'll deny you the work permit, if your PR application goes well. Plus you don't need to travel back to your country for any interview.

Anyway, it's a tip for other people in your situation that didn't start yet.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@jurjen - the OP probably chose Buffalo as their processing office as they were legally admitted to Canada for at least a year through the LIC program. And she could not have continued working as an LIC if she wanted to live with her husband. The caregiver must live IN. We don't know their exact circumstances but beware of advice involving the combination of LICs and spousal sponsorships. There are specific requirements of the LIC program and it's not the same as a person under a normal work permit.

francohoosier

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2011
LANDED..........
12-11-2011
I'm finding myself in a similar situation - with Buffalo all backed up, and my work permit only good till Sept. 19th, there's a good chance it will expire before I get PPR. I got my work permit through the SWAP working holiday program, so it's non-renewable. What is the procedure for applying to change status to visitor (or possibly grandfathering my WP) while awaiting my PR? Is it likely they'll grant me any kind of extension? What kind of proof should I submit? I have my passport/current work permit, can get letter from my boss for employment, bank account printouts from my account both here and in the US, proof that I've paid RPRF, and letter from MICC saying our undertaking/CSQ app was accepted (it's a Québec thing if you're unfamiliar).

Help? lol

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
francohoosier said:
I'm finding myself in a similar situation - with Buffalo all backed up, and my work permit only good till Sept. 19th, there's a good chance it will expire before I get PPR. I got my work permit through the SWAP working holiday program, so it's non-renewable. What is the procedure for applying to change status to visitor (or possibly grandfathering my WP) while awaiting my PR? Is it likely they'll grant me any kind of extension? What kind of proof should I submit? I have my passport/current work permit, can get letter from my boss for employment, bank account printouts from my account both here and in the US, proof that I've paid RPRF, and letter from MICC saying our undertaking/CSQ app was accepted (it's a Québec thing if you're unfamiliar).

Help? lol
Before your current permit expires, apply for a Change of Conditions from Worker to Visitor. This is done through the CPC office in Vegreville. Send a copy of your fees receipt and AOR if you have it advising them that you have applied for PR through spousal sponsorship.