+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please answer this question about open work permit while studying

walidleeda

Jan 11, 2017
Hi,
I am intending to apply for my wife to English program for beginners for 1 year study. the question is;-

Can I and our son ( 3 months old ) accompany her ?
Can I get an open work permit ?
Can we apply for PR from inside Canada when she finishes the program ?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answer is most likely no.

Typically English programs are offered through schools that won't allow you to accompany your spouse and that won't allow you to apply for an open work permit. Also, typically this means your wife won't qualify for an open work permit once she is finished school or be able to work off campus. Also, study permit approval rates tend to be lower for these programs.

If she wants to come to Canada to study, she should pick a program at a public college that is at least two years in length and that makes sense in light of her previous experience and education. So if she previously studied or worked in business - she should continue in the business field in her studies in Canada.

walidleeda

Jan 11, 2017
scylla said:
The short answer is most likely no.

Typically English programs are offered through schools that won't allow you to accompany your spouse and that won't allow you to apply for an open work permit. Also, typically this means your wife won't qualify for an open work permit once she is finished school or be able to work off campus. Also, study permit approval rates tend to be lower for these programs.

If she wants to come to Canada to study, she should pick a program at a public college that is at least two years in length and that makes sense in light of her previous experience and education. So if she previously studied or worked in business - she should continue in the business field in her studies in Canada.
Thank you a lot Scylla, I really appreciate your kind efforts.